iOS 6 - still asking for password for free downloads?!

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by TL24, Sep 20, 2012.

1. TL24 macrumors 6502a

TL24

I thought this shouldn't be the case anymore? Why am I still being asked for my password when I'm downloading a free app? Anyone else running into this issue? I'm on the GM iOS 6 on a 4S

2. bamafever09 macrumors regular

bamafever09

Pretty sure it only doesn't ask for it on app updates...

3. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

It's not a bug. It makes sense.
    What if someone/your friend decides to troll you and download 100s of free apps onto your phone and blow through your data plan?

4. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

Just like paid apps, any free apps you download are tied to your iTunes account so you can download them again if necessary. Updates are just that, so I can understand not requiring the password for an app already installed. But I have no issues personally with having to enter my password for purchasing new apps, even if free. It's better than leaving a potential loophole for someone to go hog wild and download tons of paid apps down the road.

5. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Eh, they could do that a lot more quickly going to Safari and loading a bunch of YouTube videos. And that requires no password. Plus really big apps need a WiFi connection to download anyway.

The biggest concern would probably be that all the apps downloaded show up in your account history. If Apple gave us a way to remove apps from our purchase history (even just free ones, even with a time limit) that issue wouldn't exist either.

6. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

But you don't have pages and pages of apps you don't want and have to waste your time deleting them one by one. His explanation makes sense. Maybe his friends are all naughty lol.

7. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Heh, well it should be an option then! Let those who don't have those friends keep it/turn it off. ;)