iOS 6 Street View car

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Asmod4n, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Asmod4n macrumors member

2. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

3. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

That fairly largely says Tom Tom though. Not iOS. Or Apple. Or Street View. Or anything even related to those.

You realise Tom Tom is a separate company from Apple, yes?

4. dotducky macrumors newbie

5. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

That doesn't mean Apple is licensing all of Tom Tom's data though.

6. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

Apple might not be, but if tomtom ever publicly announces it and launches 'streetview' on their tom tom devices then I'll expect Apple to want to be part of it.

7. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

I agree, but who knows what they are planning on doing with the data. For all we know they could be planning on selling it to Microsoft for use with their maps. All we know for sure right now is that TomTom is taking pictures.

8. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

Apple is more likely to use C3 data for street view.

9. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

Agree. C3 uses the same 3D generating technology for street view. I doubt TomTom is using it. Of course, it's entirely possible that Apple will use Tom Tom's street view but since they have already invested in C3 it would make more sense for them to use the technology they have. It's also possible that they won't introduce a street view at all.

10. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Then they would be the only significant platform without it, since Microsoft is busy rolling out their equivalent right now. It depends if Apple are convinced flyover is a viable replacement for street level imagery or not. I suspect they may think that, and there won't be a street view equivalent anytime soon.

11. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

Or they'll merge both so that flyover go seamlessly down to street level. :)

12. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Matching up street views with flyover would result in a horrible, misaligned and too noticeable contrast. Unless they sync the way they get the actual data, which sounds close to impossible.

13. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

Nope. I think thats a great idea. Imagine you are in flyover mode. You can just use ur finger and touch and hold any roads on the 3D `map and the street view icon appears and u can zoom into street level view. Like Google Maps. That would be a perfect integration! You get to see how the city is like as well as zoom into street level for more definition.

14. *Calypso* macrumors regular

I think it's just a matter of time until that changes. In the long run, buying is always cheaper than licensing. :D

15. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

I haven't said that would be a bad idea. Just that you can't integrate them easily. Have you really thought Apple wouldn't have got it? :rolleyes: It's the easiest thing to imagine, yet almost impossible to realize, like I said.

16. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

True... Apple would have a field day implementing a feature that is a spitting image of street view. There would be 'thermonuclear' patent wars from Google.

17. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

This is actually not far fetched. C3 has used the same technology for flyover in streetview. So, buildings are mapped in 3D. Using automated image enhancement they could even make dynamic range, contrast, etc match up fairly closely between flyover and street view so switching from one to another could be fairly seamless. The main issues I have with street view now are resolution and how trees look. Presumably, both will be fixed when cameras are used on the ground. I assume they will also take them into parks. This will look amazing if it happens.

18. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Cook could end the war :)

Trade the square touchscreen device patents for mobile mapping patents ;)

lol I jest

19. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

:D Your comment made me smile.

I can hardly believe my iPhone 4 actually had a patent and a trademark filed in the government records of being a squared device.