IOS 6 Testers - Any Sign of an IOS Preview.app?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by wolfpackfan, Aug 17, 2012.

1. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Just wondering if anyone testing IOS 6 has run across an IOS version of Preview, so that you can use iCloud to sync PDF's between your Mac and IOS device. I sure hope Apple is working on something. But I would have thought that if so, it would appear in a beta release.

2. shawnwich macrumors 6502

shawnwich

In essence, preview is already built into IOS - you can click a document anywhere, if properly placed and open and "preview" it (i.e. think of someone emailing you a word document).

But one SOLELY for pdfs? Pages can sync PDFs, so there's no need for a standalone Preview.app

3. wolfpackfan thread starter macrumors 68000

No, Pages won't sync PDF's through iCloud, only Preview does that. But there is no way right now to access them on IOS devices.

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

This just isn't how Apple wants you to use iCloud - it's not iDisk.

5. Ed91 macrumors 6502

I say you're wrong. Apple wants you to open an app and save to iCloud from the app. To open, you go open the app, and look in iCloud. This is exactly what the OP is describing with the Preview app.

iCloud isn't a data dump, but it does sync an application's files between devices. If I save a PDF to iCloud in Preview on my MBP, I can go home and open Preview on my MP and there it is. It stands to reason that if I want to open it on my iPhone, I would open Preview.

6. wolfpackfan thread starter macrumors 68000

Thank you Ed!! I was beginning to think nobody knew what I was talking about. Surely Apple is going to come out with an IOS version of Preview or modifications to iBooks so that it can access PDF's off of iCloud. If not they need to change their motto for iCloud because it would be untrue.

7. Zcott macrumors 68020

iCloud is also for Mac to Mac stuff, not just Mac to iOS!

8. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

I think I would rather see iBooks come to the desktop, than Preview move to iOS.

iBooks works well for library management and reasonably well for notes. (and could have annotation integrated)

iBooks on the desktop makes a lot more sense now with the Retina MacBook Pro, and presumably more Retina displays to come in the future.

Right now what I do is use Dropbox for storing all my PDF documents, and use the “Open in iBooks” option to get them onto my iPad.

9. Ed91 macrumors 6502

Personally, I would love iBooks to come to the desktop. We're desperately in need of a good .epub reader on OS X - assuming Apple would let you open files purchased elsewhere - though I hope if they do it, it isn't skeuomorphic. It would also make it much easier to get documents into iBooks on iOS.

I don't think that negates the need for Preview in iOS though. It highlights the filesystem conflict between iOS and OS X. Right now I can save files to iCloud and have no hope of viewing them on iOS - think Preview/Text Edit.

Doesn't it seem against the theory of iCloud that I can save to the cloud but can't access those files on mobile? And if iBooks opened Preview's PDFs, how would I possibly know that? What about any other filetypes I have in Preview's iCloud? Where would they open? It's just not user friendly.

That said, iCloud is in its infancy and I don't think there will be an Apple solution anytime soon.

10. PDXcreative macrumors newbie

To Preview or not to Preview

WRONG... In essence, iCloud is iDisk... with a different user access interface designed to promote a stronger use of file/data syncing and data backup as apposed to becoming a closet for data rot or a duplication of Dropbox. They essentially changed the user's interaction with it and shifted the price structure.

You can browse and open your files from your different devices, excluding iTouch devises. To "preview" a pdf you have to open in it in iBooks or another PDF app.

Since Acrobat Reader for iTouch devices only talk to the Adobe cloud service it is not a replacement. I personally have to many dam clouds to keep track of as it is and since Adobe's cloud is so limited I rarely, if ever, use it.

Yes, Apple iTouch devises are missing the Preview app. :apple:

11. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

That's the problem ... Dropbox, Google Drive, Amazon services, Microsoft services ... I could go on and on ... all let you use your space however you want.

I would be more inclined to use iCloud storage space if Apple allowed us to more freely access it across iOS and OS X devices.

That said, I love how seamlessly iCloud offers other features - contacts, calendars, ect.