iOS 6 to Add Safari iCloud Tabs, VIP Mail Recipients, 'Do Not Disturb' Mode?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in March, we noted that Apple had activated Safari tab syncing through iCloud in OS X Mountain Lion Developer Preview 2, with the feature designed to allow users to sync open browser tabs across Macs and presumably iOS devices. Now in a new report from 9to5Mac outlining several OS X Mountain Lion features that will also be making their way to iOS 6, the site unsurprisingly notes that Safari iCloud tab syncing will indeed be coming to iOS as well as OS X.
When the iCloud Tabs button is clicked on an iOS 6 device (or Mac), all the tabs opened on each device are simply shown in a synchronized list. From here, users can quickly pickup individual tabs that they were working on across their Apple devices. The iCloud Tabs button on the iPhone and iPod touch is hidden behind the Bookmarks toolbar.

Safari iCloud tab syncing in OS X Mountain Lion
Another new Mountain Lion feature also being implemented in iOS 6 is Mail VIPs. With this feature, users can designate "VIPs" whose emails will appear with stars next to them in Mail to make them stand out at a glance. The feature will also be iCloud-compatible on compatible accounts, with designated VIP statuses being synced across devices.

One final OS X Mountain Lion feature said to be coming to iOS 6 is "Do Not Disturb" mode for Notification Center. As implemented in Mountain Lion, users can turn on Do Not Disturb mode to hide incoming Notification Center banners and alerts. An essentially identical setting has reportedly been added to the top section of the Settings app in iOS 6, allowing users to easily hide incoming notifications and prevent interruptions.

9to5Mac also details some of the Facebook integration coming in iOS 6, noting that the implementation will be very similar to that seen for Twitter. One of the primary areas of integration will be in the Photos app, where users will be able to easily post photos directly to their Facebook timelines. Facebook will also utilize a similar system to the Tweet Sheets seen in iOS 5, offering a window for users to type in text to accompany items being posted to Facebook.

Article Link: iOS 6 to Add Safari iCloud Tabs, VIP Mail Recipients, 'Do Not Disturb' Mode?

wolfshades

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto, Ontario Canada
I think this is all pretty cool and can't wait to see it in action. I would imagine there's a lot more out there too.

One thing I wonder if Apple has considered? The Gmail service provides some rather excellent anti-spam features, catching I would say up to 99% (or more) of incoming spam. I wonder if Apple's mail servers could find an algorithm to do the same. (This was prompted by the new features mentioned: *starring* VIP email addresses, and the "do not disturb" feature)

Comment

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68020
Feb 11, 2007
Lame

Wow, talk about lame features after waiting a year for a new iOS. Yawn.

Comment

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
Nice feature additions to iOS. Next thing I want from iOS is a more mature UI design across the board. I don't care about the home screen but some developments to the same will be good too.

I care about various UIControls and other typical UI segments for e.g. NavigationControllers and TabBarControllers. I hope to see something more innovative and different compared to the present state of UI elements in iOS.

Comment

iamPro

macrumors regular
May 15, 2009
So does the tab syncing sync all tabs that are open on a single safari window?

Or does it sync all tabs on all windows?

Also, is there an option to selectively choose which tabs to sync in addition to syncing all tabs?

Comment

ellaimac

macrumors regular
May 15, 2012
Philippines
Nice feature additions to iOS. Next thing I want from iOS is a more mature UI design across the board. I don't care about the home screen but some developments to the same will be good too.

I care about various UIControls and other typical UI segments for e.g. NavigationControllers and TabBarControllers. I hope to see something more innovative and different compared to the present state of UI elements in iOS.
I think that iOS UI does not need anyb facelift. But thats me. #

Comment

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68030
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Shouldn't this be automatic? Why do we need another button to push?

and iCloud can't even sync your files between iOS and OSX without manually dragging them out of and into the website?

It's like Apple has 75% of the vision, and has done all the work to get to that point, and then just stopped short.

Wish they'd complete what they've started before adding more new half-executed features.

Comment

utwarreng

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2009
The DND feature would be outstanding, though I'd still like it if the user could set whether or not they wanted alarms to work during that time period.

Comment

Dionte

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Detroit
I hope we get a files.app, widgets of some kind and airdrop for easy sharing between devices.

Comment

rafaltrus

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
Champaign, IL
YAAAAWN... Zzz...

In all seriousness... upcoming OS X and iOS look a bit boring, don't you think? Not lame, not uninteresting, because some features are really captivating, but in general they seem to be...boring.

Comment

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
I think this is all pretty cool and can't wait to see it in action. I would imagine there's a lot more out there too.

One thing I wonder if Apple has considered? The Gmail service provides some rather excellent anti-spam features, catching I would say up to 99% (or more) of incoming spam. I wonder if Apple's mail servers could find an algorithm to do the same. (This was prompted by the new features mentioned: *starring* VIP email addresses, and the "do not disturb" feature)
There is no 'algorithm' for such a feature. Mail SPAM uses incredible AI especially Machine Learning to learn a number of user emails and user activity to decide if the email is SPAM or NOT. Currently, iCloud does a good job but GMail is just too good.

I would request Apple to not consider features at the moment but fix the following things when it comes to cloud services especially email –

1. Fix iCloud. Sometimes it doesn't sync. Sometimes, I don't know exactly what will sync. Photostream automatically stops syncing. In iBooks, when I move to a different phone, I have to download all the books again. I don't know which were already installed on my previous iPhone. Just download all of them automatically. As for PDFs, I've absolutely no idea what to do. It's very confusing.
EDIT: Sometimes even the bookmarks wont sync. Its a ****in disaster. Dhuh..

2. Push email - sometimes works/sometimes it doesn't. Send read receipts for emails so that if I read it on OS X Mail, I've it read on iOS Mail.

3. Fix the email web client. It's ****ing slow and unreliable.

4. Go to Gmail.com and see their advanced features and add some of the important ones.

Out of these 4 things, the first 3 are crucial to me and I see Apple doing at the most - very little to bring these things in order.

Last edited:
Comment

newdeal

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2009
I hope they clean up the settings app and move some of the useful toggles into notification center. Settings has become as scattered and confusing as windows control panel and is very unapple. I find myself searching in settings for things far too much.

Comment

William Gates

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
and iCloud can't even sync your files between iOS and OSX without manually dragging them out of and into the website?

It's like Apple has 75% of the vision, and has done all the work to get to that point, and then just stopped short.

Wish they'd complete what they've started before adding more new half-executed features.
Mountain Lion will alleviate this.

Comment

ellaimac

macrumors regular
May 15, 2012
Philippines
I hope they clean up the settings app and move some of the useful toggles into notification center. Settings has become as scattered and confusing as windows control panel and is very unapple. I find myself searching in settings for things far too much.
Agreed with the wifi gps 3g toggles on notification center, would be SWEET.

Comment

ct2k7

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2008
London
Well obviously there is more, I mean all 3 cannot be 3 of the big 10 for iOS 6, no?

Comment

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
Shouldn't this be automatic? Why do we need another button to push?

Could you please elaborate on that?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.