iPhone iOS 6 turn by turn is quite slick

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by viewfly, Oct 15, 2012.

1. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

Driving through Boston with Apple maps is quite slick. 3D rendering, vector based, with large pop up green street signs and voice nav is super smooth.

It's like gliding through the city. Much better than MapQuest and the old google app.

Yes I know it screws up with place points and the wrong location. But it worked well in the city and also got me to a tiny out of the way restaurant in the deep country.

I like it and am patient with improvements.

Plus it doesn't tell me it's rerouting in an irritating voice. It just does it.

But the smoothness is super. It adjusts the 3D angle constantly which is very cool.

2. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

3. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

Yup, it's a great app except it doesn't get you to the right place. :rolleyes:

4. appl3empir3 macrumors newbie

Apple Maps

I use the new Apple Maps every day here in Florida for hundreds of different locations, as of today It hasn't take me to any wrong places... and yes! I know that it's happening and that Apple F***up badly, but the bugs are not everywhere, here in FL it works excellent and the turn by turn feature works amazing as well. I also have installed TOMTOM USA as a backup navigator in the case I end up with mistakes. This map app is new and with the time it will just get better and better, ya'll see :D:apple:

5. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Sums it up nicely. It's a shame that those are the most important features of a map.

Tack on the various other issues and missing features (both UI and otherwise) and I can't understand how people are giving it such high praise.

6. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Basically, if I find the address of where I want to go and put that in, it's AMAZING.

Searching on place names, particularly local businesses? SOL.

(UK Kent & London)

7. Jrh1194 macrumors newbie

It seems to work great for some and not for others. All depends on where you are trying to use it. I am among those for whom it works great. Hopefully Apple will be able to improve it's performance for those that are having difficulties.

8. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Probably because it's working really well for some people, including me. More importantly, the POI info that is the big weakness of Maps is fixable, and the foundation of the app and the navigation is very good. It's easy to point out the current issues, but it's also important to note where they got it right.

9. newagemac macrumors 68020

If you live in the U.S., the new maps is a major improvement over the Google one in iOS5. The app itself is waaaay better and the data is just as good and often more recent and more accurate than what was in iOS5. However, not all countries have good data yet on par with what Apple has for the U.S. In the UK in particular there are data issues but Apple is working on it.

But again the usability, speed, and features on the Apple Maps app in iOS6 blows away the one in iOS5 easily. It's not even a fair comparison.

10. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Except, in many ways, the foundation isn't very good either.

There have been ample complaints of the UI not being easily readable due to the low contrast and various road sizes not being differentiated enough.

While navigating, you can't view traffic unless you change screens, moving/ rotating/ zooming the map is extremely limited, there is no nighttime mode, and, best I can tell, there's no way to add stops or search for locations along your travel path.

Even after they get the map issues completely sorted out, there are plenty of other features that their competitors have had for years that they would still need to implement.

----------

...unless you rely on maps for walking or public transportation.

11. Edslunch macrumors member

Two of many such quotes. I understand Maps don't work for you. Do you have to repeat the same in every thread?

12. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

I'm sorry, I thought this was a discussion. If you don't like, feel free to ignore me.

Yes, I (like many) have issues with the maps. Those problems span far more than just the data issues and, yes, I will express my opinion in every thread relating to the maps.

13. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Probably because it has basically worked without fail for some of us? Or even exceeds original expectations?

I've always used Garmin, but the UI is much better IMHO. I don't see the issue with roads "blending" into the background.

Not sure if this is a TomTom thing, but the way overpasses or travel under bridges is awesome...even when the blue route line passes over/under. Shadows of overpasses helps distinguish the roads well.

Hah..and just noticed looking at my own attachment, notice how they have replicated the reflective polygons on the green street signs showing the directions...that's what I expect from Apple.

Attached Files:

14. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Yeah I agree with ya. It is quite slick. It may not be perfect and they're definitely working on it but its still not bad. Just needs to ensure it directs you to the right place. To be honest, people bitch about anything nowadays if they have a chance.

15. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

My expectations are what Apple promised me when I upgraded... the best. It's not even close.

Right, because those reflections are far more important than the standard features I've already named... night mode, live traffic updating from the navigator, or the ability to search for and add multiple destinations. Beauty over functionality doesn't work.

16. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

This is my very thoughts with Apple Maps over Google Maps. I just didn't mind all the bad reviews as I knew I liked Apple Maps over Google Maps. They will keep patching it so no worries. It only gets better.

17. viewfly thread starter macrumors 65816

viewfly

This discussion is about slickness of the turn by turn routing. It has been granted that errors exist in some countries for some people; also granted that some features like adding stops are not there yet. But this thread is not about that.

I disagree with you about the road signs size, etc. They are much better then my dedicated Garmen or MapQuest, also Google iOS maps. The live routing is very very smooth. And that is Apple's hallmark. I'd say this is 90% of the usage.

I especially like the way each side street pops up and is more readable. But mainly in a city with 3D vectors of buildings, it is extremely helpful to help you judge were you are on the road.

18. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

It's funny you should say that since, in the post you quoted, that's all I was talking about.

Practically every navigation system or app I've used allows the basic things I named and, often enough, many other features that are missing.

19. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

I don't think I've ever seen most of the ones you have listed in a mobile mapping app.

Want to stop somewhere on your route? Just press the button and tell Siri to take you there.

Night time mode seems so easy, I am actually surprised that one isn't in there. But it is just color changes, so easy enough to implement in the next update.

It does the standard two views; 3d and overhead.

Traffic is visible in the overview mode and that mode can also be used for navigation...quite easily in fact...and you still get the pop up turn notifications and can view the time left as well as time of arrival....nav view is just that much simpler.

And asking Siri to take you to poi's is certainly easier than the typing I have had to do on any other GPS unit...and personal experience, it has found every poi I have asked for.

20. viewfly thread starter macrumors 65816

viewfly

Yep, minor hot spit stuff. For navigating around the city of Boston, iOS maps interface aces the rest that I've have used. Driving around in under 2 miles, one doesn't tend to need locations of a CVS while moving. Just get me to point A.

21. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Look harder. Heck, even Waze, a relatively new company and a FREE app offer them and more.

Siri can't, nor the maps app, search for locations along your travel route, just the closest to you... If there's a gas station 7 miles out of the way or one just off the highway 8 miles ahead of you, they will pick the one out of the way. Not helpful.

Not to mention, after you find it, you have to reroute twice, once to go there, another to get back the way you were going. You should be able to find a spot along your route, have your route automatically update for you, and show you new times accordingly.

Right. I have to constantly switch between views and zoom around the map just to see if there is traffic ahead. I'm sorry you don't see a problem with that.

You're lucky then as there have been more than enough reports of missing POI, but this thread isn't about the mapping data issues.

I guess that's fine then if you never drive more than 2 miles or to an area you're unfamiliar with.

22. maliu macrumors 6502a

I just used it to get from Worcester to Logan airport yesterday. All was well until it wanted me to take 95 North. *laughing* Luckily I knew I just had to stay on the Mass Pike and it would take me straight there. I shudder to think of where it was trying to take me.

23. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

I clearly stated you don't have to switch views...just navigate in the overview mode. Lets you zoom in or out as far as you want...shows traffic coming up...Siri still announces turns...turn notifications come up on the top of the screen.

24. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

So...what does Waze not have that you want?

If turn by turn is what you need and you're not complaining about maps integration with other apps, why not just use Waze? It's free, has night mode, voice commands, poi's, traffic...etc...

25. bobright macrumors 601

Yeah it works perfectly for me, hasn't screwed up once and used it quite a bit all around my city.