iOS 6 UI: What Is Apple Thinking?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by gladoscc, Aug 2, 2012.

1. gladoscc macrumors 6502

An OS needs an consistent user interface, not "make some new textures in photoshop and disregard our own design guidelines.".

With iOS 6, Apple makes the UI of iOS even worse by changing the UI of certain system apps dramatically - iPod, Maps, Dialer, Stores, etc, and yet adds even more infringing apps to "doesn't fit with the rest of the OS" category - Passbook.

I liked iOS because of the clean and consistent UI. That's one of the aspects iOS is better than Android at. But now with iOS 6, it seems like the designers are giving up and just wanting the novelty factor of "oh wow new look!" while making the UI confusing, inconsistent, and unprofessional.

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Apple does things in small phases/transitions. This is just signalling the impending UI overhaul over the next several iOS versions.

3. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

I think it's about time, too. :cool:

4. Zach Vega macrumors regular

Zach Vega

I think that the UI is outdated and could use a refresh over the next several releases of iOS.

5. Zcott macrumors 68020

They'll only do this if it provides an easier way of doing things.

6. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Please stop talking about a Beta OS like its the final version.

7. zbarvian macrumors 68010

Please stop pretending like they will be making significant design changes within the next few betas.

I love the redesign, everything looks coherent and consistent, and I think Passbook is a fantastic-looking application. Speak for yourself, I guess.

8. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I'm not slagging iOS 6. I think the UI consistency crap is hyperbole. Apple can change the look of something at anytime in the Beta process.

Passbook does look great. I can't wait to use it!

9. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

You sound like all of the idiots who were positive that the first version of maps was final because "there is no way they can update/change the data from the first beta to the final version."

They are putting out what is important so developers can create/test app interaction with the new features. UI changes would or could have very little to do with what they have shown so far.

10. URFloorMatt macrumors 6502

I don't follow the UI inconsistency argument. The novelty of iOS is that every function is contained within an app. Passbook being different from Music doesn't reflect UI inconsistency any more than Twitter being different from Facebook. iOS is a blank slate, and always has been. The apps should be designed to be intuitive and easy to use based on the functions that they perform.

You might as well tell me the UI is a disaster because Calculator and Calendar don't have the same UI. It's an argument that ignores how iOS is designed because for reasons passing understanding some people really, really hate skeuomorphism and need to lash out against its implementation. But UI consistency as an argument against skeuomorphism is an empty one.

UI simplicity and intuitiveness would be better arguments against, but those only apply to the extent that skeuomorphism detracts from simplicity and intuitiveness, and there are fleeting few examples of that in iOS.

11. dethmaShine macrumors 68000

Please stop pretending as if you work at Apple HQ.

Lots of Apple said after Beta 1 that the Maps app was final. Well, guess what? Beta 2 and Beta 3 changed the maps app drastically.

I'm sure we can see some new things, especially a redesigned voice recorder app including new sharing sheets in iOS6.

12. zbarvian macrumors 68010

I was responding to the guy who insinuated that Apple could pull a huge UI overhaul from now until the final release, which is total foolishness.

And Apple Maps haven't been improved enough for me to think they will be competitive with Google upon final release. Don't expect miracles from beta 1 to the GM.

13. dethmaShine macrumors 68000

He never said there was going to be huge UI overhaul. Please read his comment carefully.

14. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Given the context, the meaning of that post is pretty obvious. Please read the thread title and first post.

15. hot spare macrumors 6502

iOS UI (or lack of rather) is beyond my comprehension. WP UI looks so much better, it's not even a contest. WP looks modern and just so fluid. iOS is nowhere smooth even with so much powerful hardware.

Heck, even pure ICS/JB looks better than iOS UI. Not talking about apps, as there are rnough apps for iOS. Just based on UI, iOS is the most boring and cartoon-ish.

16. RenoG macrumors 65816

*whew* hold on a sec I'm still stuck on....Skeu-o-morph-ism..ok let me go look that up......

17. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

well, this is surely a matter of opinion. I for one like the simplistic iOS UI. the only thing that confuses me from time to time are the depths of the settings app and everything that's hidden in there, but apart from that iOS is self-explanatory in most respects.
    It may well be that there are better designs out there, but, again, I prefer functionality to a fancy appearance.

18. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

There comes a point at which you lay it on a bit too thick and the credibility wanes. You reached this point with your first paragraph.

19. stuffradio macrumors 65816

A new UI overhaul is something they would have shown at the keynote. They did not, no chance of a UI overhaul for iOS 6.

20. Aidoneus macrumors 6502

The new UI is great.

21. DaffyDuck, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012

DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

This is called a Strawman. You failed to understand the argument being made and you are arguing against your misunderstood version of the argument.

The cartography sucks now and will still suck at release. Tomtom (Tele Atlas) has been working with it for years and there's no reason it would suddenly improve greatly in a few months. Again, Apple has partnered with TomTom for 2D maps and therefore are not directly in control of the quality of the 2D maps. This is why Google dumped Tele Atlas in 2009 and decided to go it alone. Also, Tele Atlas was somewhat notorious for not correcting reported errors very quickly. Perhaps that has changed under TomTom but we'll see.

22. iPusch macrumors 6502

iPusch

Currently I also think that the Stores are confusing cause it's a beta & many things loading like forever or not even show up (Update Screen :cool: )

23. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

I'm sure the irony of your post is completely lost on you, but I figured I would point it out to others.

24. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

There is irony in everything we do WMR. I'm no exception and neither are you.

Though I'm sure the others here are grateful of your existence and keen ability to point things out for them.

25. jnl1211 macrumors 6502

jnl1211

reminds me of Android with no consistency acorss the UI