iPad ios 6 update destroys ipad2 - apple suggests buying refurbished device!

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by RobRoy2709, Sep 22, 2012.

1. RobRoy2709 macrumors newbie

Sep 22, 2012

I just want to show you my experience with the ios 6 upgrade, witch seems to be a redicolous beta-version in view of all the problems, other users report - not mentioning the really downgraded maps-app.

I was upgrading my iphone 4s and my ipad on the first day, ios 6 was available.
    No problems with the phone - it was done within 30 minutes via wlan. It works well.

The problems were with the iPad (2 - 3G+wlan 16GB). I also did it via wlan - it was downloading the package and then it started with the update-process (same screens as iphone). But it took significant longer - about 2 hours. But it was not over after that - other than with the iPhone, at the end, it showed the itunes-connect screen (same as after service-mode-reset). Well - I connected it to my MacBookPro (Mountain Lion) and it did the download and setup process again - the first steps took about 5-10 minutes, the last step (firmware-upgrade) was hanging round about 45 min! Afterwards, it just showed an errormessage - ipad update could not be finished (errorcode -1). I was trying the process about 5 times with my MacBookPro, then 3 or four times with my MacMini (MountainLion) at home (both plain vanilla installations with no additional firewalls etc. - iPhone and iPad also not jail-brake).

After it did not work, i called the Apple-support. The first support-level had no solutions, so i was connected to the second-supportline. The person there wanted me to check a few things. I also had to send him some log-files. After he had no silutions either, he suggested me to send in my ipad to apple and request a refurbished one - at a cost of about EUR 250!

I personally find thos rediolous! My iPad worked before the Upgrade. Now it´s broken down - seems to me the osx 6 upgrade destroyed my iPad - Apple destroyed it, and now I should have to pay for a "new" one? That can not be the policy of an industry-leader worth 700 billion dollars! If this is the only solution, I will go to the press with my story!

Since there are no (for me visible) contact-adresses of apple to get in contact with (to complain), I´m using this platform to express my anger.

Maybe someone had the same experiences?
    Or better: Any professional solution?

An angry (Ex?) Apple-Fellow,
  2. alent1234 macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2009
  3. Batt macrumors 65816

Dec 17, 2007
    Syracuse, NY
  4. CaTOAGU macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2008
    Manchester, UK
    You could also try restoring with with iPad in DFU mode:-

- Plug the iPad into your computer
    - Launch iTunes
    - Hold down the Power button and the Home button at the same time
    - Keep holding both of these buttons for 10 seconds
    - After 10 seconds pass, release the Power button but continue to hold the Home button for another 3-5 seconds
    - When in DFU mode, your iPad screen will stay completely black. If you see an - Apple logo or otherwise you did not enter DFU mode
    - iTunes will notify you that it has detected a device in recovery mode.
  5. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502a

Feb 9, 2008
    Are you running the most recent release of OSX? I got the same error message with my fiancee's iPhone (OTA didn't work on her's but was fine on mine). This is what I did:

- Ejected iPhone (in your case iPad)
    - Went into the App store and update Mountain Lion to the most recent release.
    - Restarted Mac
    - Opened up iTunes
    - Reconnected iPhone
    - Started the restore process and worked beautifully
    - Restored iPhone from backup

That worked for me with the error -1 code.
  6. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

Jul 14, 2012
    Yea, a DFU restore fixes just about anything. I jailbreak everything and do some crazy stuff with many of my iThings and there has never been anything I could do to them to really brick them. Even when a custom ROM goes bad, a DFU restore fixes it.