iPad ios 6 update destroys ipad2 - apple suggests buying refurbished device!

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by RobRoy2709, Sep 22, 2012.

1. RobRoy2709 macrumors newbie

Hello!

I just want to show you my experience with the ios 6 upgrade, witch seems to be a redicolous beta-version in view of all the problems, other users report - not mentioning the really downgraded maps-app.

I was upgrading my iphone 4s and my ipad on the first day, ios 6 was available.
    No problems with the phone - it was done within 30 minutes via wlan. It works well.

The problems were with the iPad (2 - 3G+wlan 16GB). I also did it via wlan - it was downloading the package and then it started with the update-process (same screens as iphone). But it took significant longer - about 2 hours. But it was not over after that - other than with the iPhone, at the end, it showed the itunes-connect screen (same as after service-mode-reset). Well - I connected it to my MacBookPro (Mountain Lion) and it did the download and setup process again - the first steps took about 5-10 minutes, the last step (firmware-upgrade) was hanging round about 45 min! Afterwards, it just showed an errormessage - ipad update could not be finished (errorcode -1). I was trying the process about 5 times with my MacBookPro, then 3 or four times with my MacMini (MountainLion) at home (both plain vanilla installations with no additional firewalls etc. - iPhone and iPad also not jail-brake).

After it did not work, i called the Apple-support. The first support-level had no solutions, so i was connected to the second-supportline. The person there wanted me to check a few things. I also had to send him some log-files. After he had no silutions either, he suggested me to send in my ipad to apple and request a refurbished one - at a cost of about EUR 250!

I personally find thos rediolous! My iPad worked before the Upgrade. Now it´s broken down - seems to me the osx 6 upgrade destroyed my iPad - Apple destroyed it, and now I should have to pay for a "new" one? That can not be the policy of an industry-leader worth 700 billion dollars! If this is the only solution, I will go to the press with my story!

Since there are no (for me visible) contact-adresses of apple to get in contact with (to complain), I´m using this platform to express my anger.

Maybe someone had the same experiences?
    Or better: Any professional solution?

An angry (Ex?) Apple-Fellow,

2. alent1234 macrumors 603

3. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

4. CaTOAGU macrumors 6502

You could also try restoring with with iPad in DFU mode:-

- Plug the iPad into your computer
    - Launch iTunes
    - Hold down the Power button and the Home button at the same time
    - Keep holding both of these buttons for 10 seconds
    - After 10 seconds pass, release the Power button but continue to hold the Home button for another 3-5 seconds
    - When in DFU mode, your iPad screen will stay completely black. If you see an - Apple logo or otherwise you did not enter DFU mode
    - iTunes will notify you that it has detected a device in recovery mode.

5. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502

Are you running the most recent release of OSX? I got the same error message with my fiancee's iPhone (OTA didn't work on her's but was fine on mine). This is what I did:

- Ejected iPhone (in your case iPad)
    - Went into the App store and update Mountain Lion to the most recent release.
    - Restarted Mac
    - Opened up iTunes
    - Reconnected iPhone
    - Started the restore process and worked beautifully
    - Restored iPhone from backup

That worked for me with the error -1 code.

6. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

Yea, a DFU restore fixes just about anything. I jailbreak everything and do some crazy stuff with many of my iThings and there has never been anything I could do to them to really brick them. Even when a custom ROM goes bad, a DFU restore fixes it.