Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zazoh

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
On iPhone 4s.
AT&T is my carrier.
Spoke with both AT&T and Apple today, both blame each other. No resolution.

Personal hotspot was working fine and I am enrolled in the program.

After iOS6 install, personal hotspot only tells me to register for it through AT&T.

Has anyone experienced this and found a solution?

lexikav

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Yeah - I have the exact same issue… to make matters worse, I actually just had a go-round with apple over repairing it. Hotspot was working just fine prior to update, and now, no amount of pushes from ATT or reset/restore of the iPhone are allowing me to get past the (to paraphrase) 'please contact ATT to activate this feature' error message.

I have a DINKY little fracture in the corner of my iPhone screen that can only be viewed by holding the phone at a very specific angle. That likely means I'm SOL with this repair. Having spent more than $2k with Apple in JUST the past 6 months - I'm really upset by the conversation with their support department.

paintedclouds

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2009
Same here, Verizon

I just came here to post the exact same thing, I updated my phone to os6 and my hotspot has completely stopped working. I use mine for work, and it was one of my biggest reasons for finally going iPhone last year - super disappointed. I have Verizon. It does not tell me anything, it simply acts as though the function isnt even there -- it flat out doesnt even attempt to connect.

Zazoh

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Solved

Okay, made it to 3rd Level Apple Support, they figured if AT&T de-enrolled me in the tethering data plan, then re-enrolled me in the plan with my phone off, when I turned on my phone it would reset.

We conferenced in AT&T who did as Apple suggested, and sure enough it worked.

Call your carrier and have them either change your data plan or de-enroll you with your phone off.

paintedclouds

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2009
Thanks!!!

Thanks for the help! I am on the phone with Verizon now -- this is a fun one to explain, hahaha.

lexikav

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
on the phone with ATT support now… that solution didn't work. They are now going to try to swap the SIM card, however they report that they have been back to back with calls all day with the same hotspot issues on ios6 all morning…with the iPhone 5 and 4s on iOS6

:(

george1620

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
I'm having the exact same problem. My personal hotspot will not work on my iPhone 5 with iOS 6. It keeps telling me to set it up through AT&T. I called AT&T and was told to reset network settings. I did that and the personal hotspot came back. However, I am now unable to use the Internet on my iPhone. I reset network settings again and was able to use the Internet on my iPhone, but was back to having to set up personal hotspot through AT&T again. It seems that I can only use one or the other if I reset my network settings, but not both simultaneously. I had a conference call with AT&T and Apple, and was advised to reset the settings, but that did the same thing as resetting the network settings.

I will be called tomorrow by Apple and AT&T. Most likely, I will have to restore my iPhone. I'll be back to update you all on this.

-George

george1620

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
I talked to AT&T and Apple on the phone about this issue again today for another 2 whole hours. I also went to the AT&T store to have them switch out my SIM card. The personal hotspot issue still persists... So tomorrow I will be going to the Apple store to have them replace my iPhone 5. In the end, Apple just suggested that I do this, and so did AT&T.

anonnymouse

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
In another thread I noted that my AT&T rep told me that as far as he knew, it was happening to 3G, 3GS and iPhone 4 users who had upgraded from iOS 5.1.1 to iOS 6. iPhone 4S and 5 users were reportedly not affected.

Furthermore, he says it's only people on ANR plans (AT&T Agent National Retail - highly discounted employee plans), but from reports on this and other threads, it's clear that regular consumer plans are affected as well.

It appears to be something related to the specific feature code of the 4GB tethering plan and its incompatibility somehow with iOS 6, and that by having a support tech switch you to 5GB tethering solves it. However, he tells me he can't do that on my ANR account. He says it's a known issue posted on AT&T's internal employee website, and no timeline for the fix has been announced or disclosed.

ANR plans must be administered by a designated representative, so customer support is not permitted to "touch" my account. I'm left with waiting until AT&T officially acknowledges/fixes the issue publicly.

For what it's worth.

(Disclaimer: despite what it looks like above, I'm not an AT&T employee. So I can't answer AT&T questions for you. Thanks)

Last edited:

AlexRhone

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2012
iOS 6 down grade

I'm at the Genius Bar at this very second. I also have spent the past week and half with this issue at the Apple store and AT&T for about 3 hours each day. I get a different answer each time and they both blame each other with no resolution. Almost every time I am asked from Apple and AT&T "What can they do for me to fix the problem and every time I say fix it". I finally found a "Genious" that says it is iOS 6 not the ph. Apple and AT&T both need to communicate and fix the problem. G to AT&T and get a credit for you ph sinse you can not use the tethering option that is what I did.
I will update this post once my iPhone is fixed and I am able to connect with mobile hotspot.

I'm at the Genius Bar at this very second. I also have spent the past week and half with this issue at the Apple store and AT&T for about 3 hours each day. I get a different answer each time and they both blame each other with no resolution. Almost every time I am asked from Apple and AT&T "What can they do for me to fix the problem and every time I say fix it". I finally found a "Genious" that says it is iOS 6 not the ph. Apple and AT&T both need to communicate and fix the problem. G to AT&T and get a credit for you ph sinse you can not use the tethering option that is what I did.
I will update this post once my iPhone is fixed and I am able to connect with mobile hotspot.

Update: I spent about 2 hours at the Apple store and they tried to sell me a new iPhone to fix the problem since my iPh was out of warranty. So I decided to use logic. Their logic was that since mine was out of warranty and the iOS 6 down grade is not covered under warranty for my ph then they insisted on selling me new one. I told them since I bought my iPhone I have had no issues until iOS 6 and then they tried to tell me it's a hardware issue. Again I have never had a problem in the 2years of having my iPhone. Then I proceeded to use logic. Since my iPh is not under warranty and I down loaded the new soft ware down grade now my ph does not work. They should go out of their way to keep the relationship in a positive tone and fix their mistake. With about 2 hours of using logic and them getting tired of me they decided to give me a new iPhone 4 at no charge. They said it has the iOS 6 version already on it so it will mostly likely be a hard ware issue but they are doing me a big favor by not charging me. So I turned my new ph on in front of them and turned my mobile hot spot on and wouldn't you know it the mobile hot spot works with my iPad now. Then they said "See it was a hard ware issue and that I am lucky that they decided to do this favor? So I decided to see what software was on my new iPh. Hoping to wipe that smug look off their faces. Get ready and hold your breath (iOS version 5.1.1.) Yes they were shocked and their faces turned white. You think they would have looked befoer they gave me the new ph? I proceeded to inform them that it is a soft ware issue not a hardware issue and not a AT&T issue. They still could not believe it and proceeded to blame AT&T and that they need to update their soft ware to be compatable with the iOS 6. I went to AT&T down the block and informed them on the situation. They are now telling their customers to tell Apple to give them a new ph without iOS 6.
So go into your local Apple store and insist they give you a new ph without iOS 6. That's if you have iPhone 4 or earlier. The iPhone 5 I do not have any experience with it.
Good luck and stand your ground and do not take no for an answer. Tell them to fix their mistake.....

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.