IOS 6 vs IOS 7

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by jsf721, Dec 11, 2013.

1. jsf721 macrumors 6502

I purchased a new phone for my son for the holidays. It is all he wanted and he was using a 4S which we used an upgrade for so all in all not too bad.

At 18 I figured that he would love the IOS 7. After 3 weeks of use he asked if we could reset it back to IOS 6. I said sadly NO but why.

He tells me it is clunky, slow and dispite toning down the brightness he finds the colors irritating. he said the Icons look like little tikes play toys where the IOS 6 icons look polished and classy.

The only plus to the IOS 7 he says is battery life. I think that has more to do with it being a new phone than the IOS.

I guess the apple does not fall far from the tree, I am still on IOS 6 for similar reasons.

2. Defender2010, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2013

Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

What phone was it you bought? He "was" using a 4S? Before you bought the new phone? What does you quote " the apple does not fall far" mean? You knew about io7 and never upgraded?
    iOS 7 is mostly great if your son finds the colours irritating perhaps you can sell it and buy an android? That or get him checked for colour irritation syndrome...sorry but i smell a rat.

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Everyone has their own opinion. Personally, to me iOS 6 looks like it was designed by Fisher Price. iOS 7 looks better to me.

4. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

I prefer iOS 7 but it feels slower than iOS 6 on my iPhone 5 which keeps irritating me a little. iOS 6 felt snappy whilst iOS 7 feels a little sluggish.

5. Rodster macrumors 68040

Everyone will give you their opinion. My best advice is to trek it over to a Best Buy or an Apple Store and try iOS 7 for yourself. I was reluctant to upgrade my iPad 2 from iOS 6 to 7 from reading other peoples impressions and opinions.

Guess what? I tried iOS 7 at a Best Buy and I actually liked it. It brings new things to the table. Now where most won't disagree is with some of the performance issues of the iOS. Even with an iPad Air there is still a slight lag to some of the animations.

As far as the overall look, that is strictly a personal taste. I personally like the look of both iOS 6 and iOS 7. My iPad 3 is currently running iOS 5.1.1 and it will probably stay that way unless I plan of JB it.

6. jsf721 thread starter macrumors 6502

No rat here, I am a big apple fan. iphone 4, 4S, and 5, also 2009 iMac and 2011 MBP and iPad2. My son's new phone is a 5s.

I am an apple fan, but I also have an opinion. I actually own a droid tablet. it is a few years old and I prefer my Apple iPad 2 1,000,000 percent.

I just do not prefer the color scheme or icons on 7 vs 6 and I personally view it as a lesser looking and performing operating system. I am 47 y/o and thought perhaps (sadly) that I was not the demographic it was designed for but my 18 year old son felt similarly so I decided to post it.

----------

agreed. I hope an update can fix this. The colors I do not prefer but could live with. The speed no way.

----------

I cannot argue with that at all. Enjoy it.

7. Reason077 macrumors 68020

Reason077

The look of iOS 7 can be a bit jarring when you first start using it. But after using it for a while, I've found it grows on you. Going back to iOS 6 seems dated and clunky.

iOS 7 does not seem slower than 6 to me on an iPhone 5. On a 4S, it's generally just as fast, but some of the animations are slightly choppy due to all the blend and blur effects going on. It is slower when running on the original iPhone 4.

8. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

the 5S never had iOS 6, so no... you can't go back even if apple did allow downgrading.

9. Thierry ba macrumors 6502a

Completely agree with him, I'm looking to sell my phone to buy the 5 on the craigslist with iOS6.

10. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

IOS 7 seems to look better on my ipad 2 vs 5s. There is a slight lag at times on the ipad 2...but I would not go back to IOS 6. The battery life on the ipad 2 is stellar with IOS 7.

On the 5s, as I said in another thread, IOS 7 in general makes IOS 6 look amateurish. The interface is much, much sharper.