Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
iOS 6 will probably be redesigned how Mac OS X has been redesigned.

Compare Mac OS 10.0 Cheetah:
MacOSX10-0screenshot.png

To Mac OS 10.5 Leopard:
Leopard_Desktop.png

To Mac OS 10.8 Mountain Lion:
overview_mountainlion.png

They look very different, yet they also look the same. iOS 6 will probably be redesigned in the same fashion. Also, if you think about it, Android was just as boring and stale as iOS

Android 1.0:
android_09.jpg

Android 2.3:
home-plain.png

Android 4.0
h.png

Android only looks different because of all it's themes. Android 1.0 is Like Cheetah, Android 2.3 is like Leopard. Android 4.0 is like Mountain Lion. They all look slightly different, but the layouts are all the same. Even the same goes to iOS.

Will iOS be a huge drastic overhaul of the whole system? No, and most people don't really want it to be that way. Will iOS 6 look different? Yes of course it will. It will be different in the way that stock Android is different, or how Mac OS X is different, or how Windows is different. It may get an updated look, maybe updated features (I remember one member posted a Launchpad idea, similar to how Android works. I would personally LOVE that!) and UI enhancements, but it'll still retain the classic iOS feel.

I just wanted to share my theory on an iOS 6 redesign. :)

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Drastic change is not good for consumers.

Only a very small subset of people want a large change in UI. One of the reasons why Apple's able to maintain marketshare is that the experience that people encounter with a friend or family member's phone ,no matter how old, is the same they will get buying the newest model.

I don't doubt that the UI will change but i'm thinking that iOS won't change significantly until there's a new underlaying architecture that warrants this change. I don't know what that would be but until then I think the changes will be conservative.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Only core apps from apple will change... The rest will be the same.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Drastic change is not good for consumers.

Only a very small subset of people want a large change in UI. One of the reasons why Apple's able to maintain marketshare is that the experience that people encounter with a friend or family member's phone ,no matter how old, is the same they will get buying the newest model.

I don't doubt that the UI will change but i'm thinking that iOS won't change significantly until there's a new underlaying architecture that warrants this change. I don't know what that would be but until then I think the changes will be conservative.

I'm not saying that we just do a drastic change. The examples I've provided are over the years. iOS has also had gradual UI changes over the years, just like the examples. I'm saying that iOS is going to take a "redesign" leap sort of how Leopard did from Tiger, or how Android 4.0 did from Android 2.3. It'll be different, but still familiar enough that any one user can catch on instantly.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I'm not saying that we just do a drastic change. The examples I've provided are over the years. iOS has also had gradual UI changes over the years, just like the examples. I'm saying that iOS is going to take a "redesign" leap sort of how Leopard did from Tiger, or how Android 4.0 did from Android 2.3. It'll be different, but still familiar enough that any one user can catch on instantly.

I see many iPad owners using more gestures now. As the OS becomes more gestural I see that changing how apps are designed which will affect the UI.

I'd like to see the corners used more. Right now we can swipe down to invoke the Notification Center. Eventually I presume a side swipe from the left/right will enable some other functionality. I have apps on my iPad that do this well enough already (Mr. Reader, Grazing Browser)

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
I see many iPad owners using more gestures now. As the OS becomes more gestural I see that changing how apps are designed which will affect the UI.

I'd like to see the corners used more. Right now we can swipe down to invoke the Notification Center. Eventually I presume a side swipe from the left/right will enable some other functionality. I have apps on my iPad that do this well enough already (Mr. Reader, Grazing Browser)

One thing that I would enjoy to have come to iOS is how gestures are used on the Samsung Galaxy S III. Have you seen how they work? Swiping your palm down the screen takes a screenshot. You can do so many other gestures too. It's one of the innovative things Samsung did with the GSIII, and maybe a 4-inch iPhone could have something like that.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
One thing that I would enjoy to have come to iOS is how gestures are used on the Samsung Galaxy S III. Have you seen how they work? Swiping your palm down the screen takes a screenshot. You can do so many other gestures too. It's one of the innovative things Samsung did with the GSIII, and maybe a 4-inch iPhone could have something like that.

The problem with gestures is that the metaphor often does not make sense. How would one know that a palm swipe down takes a screenshot? That doesn't seem very intuitive which means I doubt that many even know it exists.

Apple has been very careful with gestures in Lion and ML, but they may be pushing it a little in ML.

Gestures make more sense on a larger screen like on the iPad, but it might be hard to make intuitive ones on the iPhone.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
All i want is evolution - i love iOS because its simple, easy and stable. It doesn't have to look fancy and have a million different ways to do the same thing. I just want a speedy, efficient OS. The UI happens to be a bonus and it looks sharp.

I'm sure thats why we all love iPhones.

Some new things might be pretty cool like safari tabs on the iPhone, swiping to navigate system wide siri integration and greater efficiency with iCloud.

Nicolas4ever

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
Ι like the simplicity of the iOS.But i would also like something new.Nothing mayor changed from the introduction in 2007.We will see soon how the "new iOS" will look like.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
I wonder if iDevices will ever support display themes. Just about the time you get bored with the "same ol' phone," a fresh display theme - complete with new icons - makes it like brand new (speaking from my Android past).

However, I discovered I can arrange my iPhone/iPad home screens with just two lines of icons per screen (in addition to the dock) and have plenty of middle "open space" for really cool wallpaper changes. Accomplishes nearly the same effect. And, I think the iDevice icons are works of art in themselves. They look especially vivid on a dark blue background. :D

kdarling

macrumors P6
chrf097 said:
Swiping your palm down the screen takes a screenshot.
That's really not intuitive. Unless people read the manual, how will they ever work this one out?

The same way they find out how to take a screen shot in iOS... by reading the manual or hearing about it.

At least the gestures on Lion and iOS tend to make some sort of sense.

Holding down two buttons on iOS to take a screenshot is not intuitive. A palm gesture actually makes more sense.

However, no one can figure out all the hidden gestures and buttons on any OS by themselves.

Even pinch zoom isn't apparent until you're told about it. Nor is touching the status bar to scroll to top, or what wiggling icons mean, or holding down Home on Android or double-clicking Home on iOS.

They're all "intuitive" only after you learn about them :)

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
Even pinch zoom isn't apparent until you're told about it. Nor is touching the status bar to scroll to top, or what wiggling icons mean, or holding down Home on Android or double-clicking Home on iOS.

They're all "intuitive" only after you learn about them :)

You're stretching it too far. My grandmother who knows nothing about computers (SHE STILL USES WINDOWS 95!!!!) who can barely figure out how to turn it on used a New iPad pretty easily.

Me and my cousin did the experiment. Sat it in front of her, told her that the screen is touch screen and how the touch works (so that way she wasn't slamming he finger into the screen). Within 10 minutes she was looking at pictures, browsing the internet, checked the weather for tomorrow, looked up her stock reports on a website. We then told her that their is a way to go from App to App and switch apps faster. We didn't tell her how we just said their is a way. She spent 5 minutes doing stuff with the screen and guess what, she ended up bringing up the app switcher with a gesture!

We didn't tell her what any of the apps were or anything. She never even heard of a Mac Computer computer!

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
I get your point, but what's interesting, is that as little as OS X and Android have evolved in appearance, iOS has changed even less. Beyond the appearance of the dock in iOS and the ability to assign background images, I can't think of any appearance differences.

Notification panel, multitasking bar, ability to rearrange apps and pages (yeah, that was once only a hack), notifications, the silver-themed bars/buttons that came with the iPad, umm... anything else?

Ay_Zimmy

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Disagree, the iOS software has become more perfected than the Mac software, also those are totally different platforms where the change have been drastic, but I really don't see the case with the iPhone, especially with the base they have established with its simplicity. I think you will definitely be seeing an immense amount of upgrades and integrations into the software, but the general outlook is definitely going to stay put. At least for now in my opinion. We have to see the other things that are possible with a 4G network

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.