iOS 6 Worse Audio Quality

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Benmackay28, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Benmackay28 macrumors newbie

I have been having a major problem with iOS 6 since its final release.

Ever since i updated to the final build of iOS 6, the quality of my music audio has changed for the worse. I listen to music from my phone through either my Ultrasone Hi-Fi 780's, or through my car's stereo via AUX input. What I have noticed different is this

-Increased Bass, but for the worse. Bloatier, not as rich nor deep, just in your face bass signal that drowns out other sounds and other aspects of the song.

-Seemingly a rolloff of the treble and mids, again exacerbating the presence of the bass, but this could also possibly be attributed to the new bass power.

-Quieter music, does not have the same punch across the board than it did before, a lack of presence and feel.

-Cant be entirely sure if this is the case, but it seems there is a loss of balance between the L and R speakers in all cases, some songs i cannot even hear parts of the song i did before, or they are vastly drowned out.

-Seemingly new emphasis on Vocals in most cases.

I am a huge audiophile, and this is all not acceptable for me. When i first listened to my music i thought that i had broken my headphones and that they were the cause of the downgraded sound quality. However, i took a listen through stock apple in ear headphones and heard all of the same things which then prompted me to think it wasnt my headphones but my actual phone (iPhone 4s). I then listened to the same song on my iPad (3rd Generation) and noticed that it sounded normal again, reassuring me on my belief that it was my phone. Its important to note here that i had not updated my iPad to iOS 6 yet, it was still running iOS 5. I started to think that it was my headphone jack on my phone and had messed it up somehow by pushing in the AUX inputs too hard, etc., so i actually took my phone to my local Apple Store and had my phone replaced via Apple Care. When i got back in my car and fired up the song "Jambi" by Tool, i still noticed all of the problems i had noticed before. This infuriated me, i had just wasted my time and money to get my phone replaced to suffer from the same problem.

Of course, a new 4s could not have a messed up headphone jack like i thought my old phone had. Therefore, its easy to see that that was not the problem. Important to note too, i listened to other songs such as "Little Wing" by Stevie Ray Vaughan and "The Blood is Love" by Queens of the Stone Age and noticed that the vocals, bass, mid-bass seemed much more present than all other aspects of the songs. The guitar work in "Little Wing" sounded very reverberant, and sort of "in the background", compared to the bass and drums. Same with the other songs, not the same balance throughout the songs or albums, and didnt have as much of a musical feel. By that time, i had upgraded my iPad to iOS 6 because i didnt think that it could be the software at this point. I completely replaced the library on my phone, making sure i had high quality files, and clean CD-rips. Still sounded horrible. I then listened to Tool on my iPad, and thats when i noticed it was iOS 6. After upgrading, my iPad was generating all of the same problems i had been hearing on my phone. I listened to music on my roommates iphone 4 (who is still running iOS 4) and through an old ipod mini and a newer ipod nano, a laptop, and my friends transformer tablet, and it all sounded perfectly normal.

All of that said, evidently ive concluded its iOS 6. Ive replaced my phone, ran numerous tests, and it all points to this conclusion. Yes, i have changed EQ settings to see if that would fix the problem, but with no results. I changed the itunes EQ, i have changed the EQ settings on my phone, which i usually have set to off. I read online that someone said to put the EQ on Flat on iOS 6 as this was now the real "off", but i still heard the same problems. Admittedly, tinkering the EQ's did improve it somewhat, but certain parts of songs are still missing or drowned out, which i think is due to an inbalance of L and R speaker input or something else. I even called Apple support with no avail, they told me to go to an Apple Store and get a replacement -_- With no way to downgrade my device, im left hopeless. I cannot stand this quality of music, it makes me not want to listen to my music anymore and impacts me whether at home or in the car, anywhere. I dont want to have to purchase a new media player to compensate for Apple's **** up, they shouldnt mess with audio quality in possibility to compensate for their new Earpods. This is a huge setback for me, and has definitely hindered my belief in Apple as a company. I cant stress enough how much this affects me, i listen to music most hours of the day, everyday. I write this in hopes that some other people have noticed something at all similar, or even has a solution because I feel like im the only one who has noticed it thus far.

2. cdrider macrumors newbie

Agreed.

To my ears it sounds tinnny. Also noticed I have to have the car volume up louder with iPhone 5/ios6

3. superslows2k macrumors newbie

I agree, maybe they are did it on purpose to not damage the speakers? either way I have to turn it all the way up now

4. n2deep macrumors member

Same here sounds like ****! Hopefully this will be fixed in the next update!

5. cosmic68 macrumors 6502

cosmic68

6. maricc macrumors regular

I noticed the "S" sounds in the lyrics of my music are distorted. I thought it was my headphones but maybe its an iOS thing...

7. KoG506 macrumors member

I agree!

I have a 2000 toyota avalon w/ factory JBL premium sound. Some music sound distorted like a fuzzy/scratching noise when playing certain songs. Not all sound does that. I had a 3GS on 5.1.1 (have 4S iOS 6 now) and did not hear any distortion when streaming music via bluetooth. I guess it could be my car but I don't think so. I need to get test it out with a older iphone that is not on iOS 6 and use same music file to see if same distortion sound reproduces. I will update when I can.

8. jkauff macrumors member

I wonder if Apple has ditched dedicated DAC hardware now that they have a dual core processor.

9. Mfnd macrumors member

I thought it was just me so glad to hear others think the same. It sounds so much worse that I originally thought I had a dodgy iphone 5.

10. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

I saw the testing article, and it's pretty interesting. Do you have the sound check or sound enhancer enabled?

11. duneriderltr450 macrumors 6502

duneriderltr450

I thought I was the only one. I agree, I had to go into eq settings and turn on treble booster.

12. ReanimationN macrumors 6502a

ReanimationN

I thought so! I've had an iPhone 5 for half a week now and thought the sound was poor in comparison to even my iPod shuffle.

13. CindyN67 macrumors newbie

Thank you! I am having the same problem. It makes listening to music almost painful. I've also notice the volume is either too low or too high. I cannot stand sound check or apple's EQ. I did not have this problem until I downloaded iOS 6 on my iPod touch 4g. I also purchased the new iPod touch 5g and the sound is just as bad. I'm already regretting purchasing this :(

----------

Thank you! I am having the same problem. It makes listening to music almost painful. I've also notice the volume is either too low or too high. I cannot stand sound check or apple's EQ. I did not have this problem until I downloaded iOS 6 on my iPod touch 4g. I also purchased the new iPod touch 5g and the sound is just as bad. I'm already regretting purchasing this :(

14. clauzzz203, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012

clauzzz203 macrumors regular

how is it now with 6.0.1? still copying my apps and music

btw cool forum

edit: seems fixed, highs back to ios 5 level :D

15. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

I haven't had any phone calls since installing iOS 6.0.1 this morning, but I have been disappointed in the sound quality with the iPhone 5 compared to the iPhone 4, particularly for the speaker on phone calls. I've had to turn the volume way down to avoid distortion and "tinny" grating voice quality. I sure hope the update addresses this issue.

16. Louisedr2007 macrumors newbie

VERY Low/Tinny volume on phone calls sice 6.0.1

Since updating my call volume has become barely audible, and quite tinny, I thought maybe it was something I had done to the phone but couldn't think what as I've treated my iphone 5 like the gold dust it is....... Anyone found a solution?

17. reyntt23 macrumors newbie

poor audio quality ios 6.0.1

@BenMackay28
    I definitely agree on your post. I"m glad to find other user experiencing this bizarre audio change that the ios upgrade has done.

I actually start using my friend white ipod touch ios 6.0.1 last week. And then I usually turn on bass booster, as this is what i used to when I still had the black ipod 4g version only it was stolen from me.

On the very first song that I love to play, i felt something is different from what I hear. The bass dont have anymore the deep punch as it used to and worse it becomes distorted.

I also experience this on the early release of ipod 3rd gen. I just cant remember the ios version. When the ios 4 appears this sound distortion in bass booster disappear and then it reappears again with this latest release.

I hope apple will do something about this as I really trust their brand to have outstanding audio quality.

18. jkauff macrumors member

You could also try a different player. Equalizer Pro sounds better to me than the stock player, and it plays FLAC files.

19. reyntt23 macrumors newbie

Tried using Denon player with equalizer. Although it can really change the audio freq output. I don't know but comparing it with my other ipod 4.2.1, I can't seem to get the exact clarity that the former give. I'm not really sure anymore if this is something to do with the DAC not sure if this has different audio chip.

20. reyntt23 macrumors newbie

I'm not sure about this but after thorough comparison of two ipod touch with different ios. I think the latest ios amplified the base signal causing distortion.
    The output of the old ios creates relax and clear audio compared to the new one.
    Using equalizer does'nt change the base signal setting that the ios 6 creates. What you are onlly adjusting is the base signal freq spectrum. Adjusting the gain to lowest level does'nt even change or remove the distortion which proves that base signal is not adjustable. I'm also thinking if this has different DAC with my other ipod touch. Just my opinion.

Anyway, you really can't have it all as they say.. but still I hope the next update will fix this and will return the old setting.

many thanks.