iOS 6GM, Maps and Locations.

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Mapmonkey, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Mapmonkey macrumors regular

I won't go into too much of a rant about how crap the new mapping data is in Apple maps here in Korea, but can someone try this little test out for me.

In Apple maps find your current location and send it to yourself as an iMessage for example.
    Close the maps app and then open your messages and hit the location hyperlink.
    Where do you end up? Anywhere near your actual location?

Now do the same but read the iMessage or email with the location hyper link on your mac or pc. Watch the web browser http: , does it flick to twitter before opening in Google Maps? And again where are you?

In my case my current location gets pegged to the nearest zip code centroid, +100m away. In Google maps its way, way off. Presumably Google has a different zip code polygon.

Why if the 4S has GPS is my location not reported accurately, why this look up to a zip code polygon. I witnessed the same effect in the last beta but to an even worse degree at it was matching me to my -do, the equivalent of a state or county with no zip or street location.

For me waiting for a Google map app is not the answer, they (Google) won't get tied in to my contacts as home addresses, or enable me to use location reminders.

iOS 6 maps are a real disaster, let hope Apple sign up some decent data providers for non US customers.

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

From imessage took me back to my location, a couple meters off.

From outlook email on PC to Chrome, bounced from maps.apple straight to maps.google with accuracy. No sign of twitter.

Sounds like issues in Korea only.

3. Mapmonkey thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Menel.
    My accuracy is not too bad with the latest GM. But the fact remains as to why they pin locations to what looks like the centroid of a region object, i.e the zip code polygon.

I'm pretty keen to know how it's really supposed to work. I worked in GIS for many years so I have thing for maps.