iPhone iOS 6x is causing a major data leak?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by fuzion11, Feb 27, 2013.

1. fuzion11, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013

fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Hey M.R boys and gals...hope you're all well!

I've had an iPhone in Canada since day 1...I've also had the $30/MTH - 6GB of data plan since day one too. I can honestly say I've never gone over my data plan...I don't think I've even ever reached 5GB out of the 6 provided.

Anyhow, last Thursday I received a message from Rogers saying I've gone over my data plan and they are adding an extra $50 to my bill for the overage. No more then 2 days later I received another text from Rogers saying they are adding another $50 to my account because I again went over the extra GB I just paid.

I'll be the first to admit I do tether...but I also have the Rogers app which tracks my data usage and I ALWAYS stop tethering when I reach 3.5GB (no matter where I am throughout the month, I'll never tether past 3.5GB) So clearly the tethering isn't the issue. When at work I am connected to a WIFI network...the router sits in my office, so it's not like I'm losing connection and just don't realize it's being switched back over to my cellular network.

I've done some web searching and have read this problem seems to be wide spread...weather you live in Canada, the US or in Europe. It appears to be an iOS issue, which would explain why this is happening to so many users.

I called Rogers and they said to call Apple...I called Apple, they told me to call Rogers. As usual, these companies which wait with their hands open for your money have no intention in actually rectifying problems.

Now I have a couple of questions for those of you in the "know"...

Under settings...general...usage...it lists all the apps on the iPhone, beside the app it has a size reading (ie: Flipboard 97 MB) and then if you click on the app it will open a screen and give another size reading (ie: 80.6MB)...is either of those readings the amount of data this app has consumed since having it installed? I know the app itself is only 16.3MB in size...so what are those readings for?

So is this data problem happening to you to? Do you have any stories of getting anywhere with your carrier or Apple??

Discuss....

2. r2shyyou, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2013

r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Howdy.

First and foremost, what iPhone model do you have and what version of iOS are you on ("6x" isn't particularly specific)?

Secondly, no, the GB/MB/KB notations in Settings > General > Usage do not reflect how much cellular data those apps have consumed; they reflect the size of the apps and any associated "add ons" or documents or cached data, etc.

For example, my Twitter.app shows a size of 22.8 MB however there are also 91.0 MB of "Documents & Data" associated with it so the total shown for that app is 113 MB. I don't know for sure what the "Documents & Data" consists of but I'm guessing it's mostly cached data, such as photos, that have been uploaded to and/or viewed within the app.

To view how much cellular data your phone has consumed, you'd still go to this same screen with the individual app sizes but you'd then go one step further: Settings > General > Usage > Cellular Usage (bottom of screen). This won't show you how much cellular data each app has used but it'll give you a total number that you can then compare to what Rogers is stating you've used.

As for me, no, this data problem is not happening to me (I'm running iOS 6.1.2 on an iPhone 4S).

Hope that helps clear some of your questions up.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

No problem for me with 6.1.2 on Fido, I tether frequently and I'm always under the 6GB cap.

Are you jailbroken?

4. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502a

My usage pretty much doubled as soon as I got LTE. It just makes browsing the web so much easier/faster, so I tend to do it more. Did you recently get LTE coverage?

5. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Hey guys, thanks for the responses...

Firstly, I have the iPhone 5 on 6.1...in my area we do have LTE coverage. And yes I am JB but I can't see how that would make data bleed.

6. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

So does your Rogers app that you track your data with show that you are going above these data limits? I would probably track the data daily and note which apps you used that day to get a feel for what may be causing the issue. It could be a rogue app that you downloaded the past month. Just a suggestion.

7. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

The only app I could think of would be Flipboard...the last two days I've been watching the consumption with that app and it doesn't seem to be the problem...I'm not sure what to do. Now to see if my work will actually cover the extra $100 for data....wish me luck boys and gals! hahaha