iOS 7.0.2 HUGE Other Capacity

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Di4mondz, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Di4mondz, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: May 7, 2017
  2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Restore as NEW?

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Its probably just all your photos, videos, apps and whatever little 'other' you had. Just unplug and replug in the phone and it should separate them again. Happens to me after an iOS update.

4. Di4mondz, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: May 7, 2017

Di4mondz thread starter macrumors regular

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Is the total space accurate to what you have on the phone? (Apps, photos and so on) If so, no you do not need to restore and it will eventually work itself out. If you are missing that 10GB of storage then you have to restore.

6. stoney05 macrumors regular

How many text messages you have? Try deleting some of those year(s) old conversations.

7. Vegasryn macrumors 6502

What does the usage on the phone actually state?

8. darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

Go into SETTINGS-->GENERAL-->USAGE and take a look under "Storage" at the top to see what might be taking up space. Select "Show All Apps" after the list displays to see everything. It will show how much space is being taken up by the Music player, Messages etc...

9. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I had that problem as well and going to usage never showed what was using all that space.

The only way I could get rid of it on my 4S and iPad Mini was to restore as new or, because I was not jailbroken, I simply went to settings / general / reset / erase all content and settings. I then just resynced all my apps and all was good.

10. Nate8727 macrumors newbie

Use PhoneClean if you have a Mac. I"m not sure about a Windows alternative.

It's awesome and finally gets rid of most of the annoying "Other" category.

I've used it on all of the iOS devices in the house.

11. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

I saw the same thing on mine. Ended up being music. iTunes said I had 2GB of Music and 5GB of other. In the iPhone usage settings, it said I had 7GB of music. Might want to check the settings on the phone to see what usage is reported there.

12. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

Try quitting all the apps on your phone, then re-open the apps that use a lot of memory (photos, video, music, whatever). This will force the apps to reassess their memory usage.

13. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I had this too..and what caused it on mine was that I had a TON of iTunes video purchases that I had stopped from downloading (it insisted on attempting it!) and since they were in a state of flux when I updated from 6 to 7 they went to Other. I went into the video app and found any and all videos that didn't have a cloud next them and swiped to delete them. That cleared a lot of the Other space.

14. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Photos, videos, apps are counted in their own.

A high 'other' is due to lots of messages, emails, app data. Or at least the system thinking you have lots. Sometimes the software gets corrupted and it doesn't trash your garbage properly. This can happen if you don't power off once or twice a week also.

If you haven't powered off in a while, try that. Off, wait like 5 minutes to be sure it is totally shut off. Back off.

If you do a lot of email you can also try using your computer to empty trash and junk folders which should do the same to the copies on device. I will often do it's during that 5 minutes.

Other possibles are that your account is set to archive not delete and thus the copies just get moved to another folder. Gmail used to do this by default. Aol also as I recall.

Or just general corruption. Backup (iCloud seems to be the safer of the two), erase and reload. The backup should hopefully not have the trash, doesn't hold emails for non pop accounts etc. So the trash goes and shouldn't be there to come back.

15. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

try rebooting your phone and seeing if that fixes it, worked for me.

16. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

If you look directly at the picture the OP provided, you will see that it only shows audio and a small amount of video. No apps or pictures. After some upgrades this happens and everything is counted as 'other' because it isn't being registered as separate categories. Unplugging and syncing again, as I stated earlier usually does the trick. Sometimes a restart or hard restart is required. I'm fully aware apps are counted as their own but sometimes iTunes just get confused.

17. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Yes and the OP replied to you that they already tried that a few times with no change.

So clearly in this case it wasn't that. And I provided other advice that might fix it.

18. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I had a similar thing to this. My 16GB 4S said I had 2GB of free space. I went through and deleted photos/videos and apps that I didn't need or had backed up on the iMac and only freed up 1GB giving me 3GB of free space.

The 'Other" file was huge in iTunes and took up the majority of the space.

I use iTunes Match and never sync or download music to the phone, only stream it. Under usage it said 990MB used. I cleared out the 990MB from Music via the Usage page and the 'Other" file shrunk considerably and then I had 9.5GB free out of the 16GB.

I did the same thing on the iPad and it worked as well.

19. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Should he/she really have to do that though??

20. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

No, but then again how many others have the same problem? Very few.

21. gentlefury macrumors 68030

When you use iTunes Match it saves the sings you listen to for future listening so you don't have to keep using data. It won't show up as music in iTunes as music tho. But if you go into useage on your phone and delete music it will clear it. It's temp tho and will delete itself if space is needed.

22. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

this is not limited to iOS 7.0.2

i updated my htc one to jelly bean 4.3 and my "other" increased to 6.7 GB as well.

cant seem to find what goes in there. ive deleted the apps' cache and still no go. would hate to have to reset to factory settings.

Attached Files:

23. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i knocked almost 1 GB off of my other space the other day by simply backing up to itunes, restoring, then restoring from backup. try that. your other memory shouldnt be more than 2GB.

24. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Don't forget that Photo Stream will use up space and iTunes Match uses space the more you use it.

When I selected erase all content and settings and my phone was et up as new, iTune set iTunes Match on automatically. Other jumped up to nearly 2GB. I turned it off and then it showed just under 600MB.