iOS 7.0.4 - Battery usage awful

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by sedgeman, Nov 18, 2013.

1. sedgeman macrumors member

Hi

Another problem following IOS 7.0.4 update - My Battery Life/Usage is awful

Anybody else had this problem?

I'm using an Iphone 4s

Thanks

2. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

5S here and good battery life so far, 1,5 to 2 days of use.

3. emspace macrumors newbie

Yup. Using 4S and the battery drained from 25% to auto shut down while I turned on the phone, went to my contacts, pulled up a record, scrolled to find the postal code—*blip*. Done. In the time it took to do that, the battery went from a reported 25% to off.

I’ve even tried to turn off every unnecessary service. Phone doesn’t last a full day any more, and I am a below average phone user.

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Posting this every single time a "battery life sucks" thread pops up gets tiring.

1. Reset all network settings
    2. Restart your phone
    3. If the 2 steps above do not help reset all settings
    4. If step 3 fails as well restore the phone as NEW and do not restore a backup.

5. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

It would be great if this 'fix' worked but ever since iOS 7, my iPhone 5 has had appalling battery life. I could always fix the battery drain when updating previous iOS incarnations on my 3GS and i4 but not this time. Nothing cures it.

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

All throughout the iOS 7 betas the battery life on my iphone 5 was getting slighter better. When iOS 7 went public I restored to the official release even though I was running the GM build.

Running the official version of iOS 7 was beating the crap out of my battery and the steps I mentioned above didn't fix the issue.

As a final ditch effort I put my iphone into DFU mode and then restored it. I don't know how DFU restore is different compared to a regular restore but my battery has been stable and great since then. I've even gone through 7.0.x versions without having to do a thing.

Give it a go.

7. hArrisburger macrumors regular

Did you do a DFU restore to restore as new? Or from a backup?

And what was your battery life before and after?

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I did a DFU restore as NEW. did not restore from backups.

9. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

I've come to realize that anyone that actually uses these devices for what they are intended for will take a battery hit. It's no different than expecting a Ferrari to get good gas mileage.....I see folks sometimes reply with usage details like "couple of texts, a tweet and I surfed Safari for 30 mins." That will give you great battery life....real world, full use will suck it dry. I'm on the heavier usage side of the fence. 3-4 hrs phone usage, ~75-100 texts, Safari, Tweetbot, YT and over 75-100 emails a day from 3 exchange accts + Gmail. I'm happy to make it to noon.

I do, however, think they could focus more efforts on battery type to give better battery life. Even then, just use your phone and stay prepared with the juice.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Where you are and signal strength (in particular cellular, but also Wi-Fi if/when using that) plays a fairly big role in all of that too.

11. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Why should our previously ok backups which ran fine on iOS 6 now be buggy and unstable? I don't want to have to lose all my data and start afresh like a newbie. I shouldn't have to.
    Having said that, I have done umpteen clean installs and *then* downloaded my backup via iCloud.
    Are you saying that the backup should be completely forgotten about?

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I can vouch for that. Every time the Verizon tower near us at work starts acting up all my co workers with iphones on Verizon take a battery hit.

13. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Something that bit me once on Windows is that whether you restore from a backup or install your apps from scratch, if you put the device back into the same configuration the same problem may occur. It sounds like (unfortunately) you are at the point to troubleshoot it on an app by app basis to see if any of them (like Facebook) are causing the issue.

Not enough information here to give you specific advice but if you post some more details (possibly in a new thread since yours is a 5) someone may have some thoughts. A phone restart will terminate all the processes but an app may start the drain again when it fires up.

14. IamtheShiznitt macrumors newbie

3-4 hours on my iPhone 5.

Not that the iPhone 5 had a great battery life to begin with but I could at least get through a full work day. Since switching to iOS 7, it's been steadily declining and each update makes it worse. I had a 100% battery today at 1:30 p.m. I used it to check email and talked to clients for maybe 30 minutes total. No background apps were running, except for email. At 4:30" it was down to 22% and then it just shut off and rebooted.

I currently have 7.0.3 on the iPhone and am reluctant to update to 7.0.4 because 7.0.4 has made my iPad mini useless since I updated it this morning. It stutters, it lags and it very frequently CTDs. The DU&D has dozens of low memory .plist reports, all from today. (This is with no background apps running and over half of my memory still available.)

I use my iPhone and iPad in tandem for my job. I'm ready at this point to trade them in for a Samsung and a Kindle.

15. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Did you bother to try the steps I mentioned earlier in the thread? If not, expect 7.1 to further make your battery life even worse.

16. bluewomble88 macrumors regular

I just opened Facebook and my battery dropped 1% as usual to 28%. I then closed FB and opened Mail and the 20% battery remaining message flashed up. It had dropped to 19% in one swoop.
    My battery was fine on 7.0.3. Apple can GTFO. There have been massive battery problems for YEARS. Useless.

17. rocat1997 macrumors regular

Have any of yall had your battery replaced by Apple? I am sure if you have a year old iphone 5, the battery is no where near like brand new. Plus, I discovered my problem the other day. I unlocked the phone and saw the gps
    arrow on. It stayed on the entire time I was texting. The next unlock the same thing occured. The next unlock again. I checked location services and the traffic icon was purple. All my apps were closed out and the gps was still on. The traffic function was up dating the traffic and my location even though the maps was not even open. After turning off the traffic and all the other system services except compass calibration, my battery life improved greatly. Last Saturday, I drove to work. Phone charged to 100%. Played only music the entire trip and when I arrived at work 45 mins later, it was at
    67%. After turning off all the un-necessary location services, I now get arrive at work 96%. People really need to follow all the protocol of battery life. Install ios7 from a clean install. No icloud backup. Turn off all locations services that are not important such as Facebook and system services. Turn off notifications from apps that you dont need them from. If all these fail, then a trip to apple is needed for battery concerns.

18. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

See what happens without the FB app.

19. pauliaK macrumors regular

pauliaK

I remember I had this issue with my phone while still running iOS6, prior iOS7 release. Only step number 4 solved the issue. Just to let others know.

20. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

My battery life has also gone to hell since I updated my iPhone 5 last night. I was at 43% before noon today and that's never happened before.

21. IamtheShiznitt, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013

IamtheShiznitt macrumors newbie

Yes.

I won't be getting 7.1. I'm getting another phone instead and I'm selling the iPad will use the $$ to get a different tablet.

It is absolutely unacceptable that a $600 phone requires this kind of mollycoddling just to run basic functions. Nor should apple's response be that the only solution is to disable all apps several times a day just so I can have 4 hours of battery life for email and voice.

I didn't pay $600 for a basic phone. I paid for what was advertised as state of the art. I want my apps back. I want to be able to edit my photos and play games and download music. I had that on my iPhone 3 and prior to that, on my HTC. I also had it on the original iPad. Now I have a old-school flip phone disguised as an apple product (with a crappy battery.)

So Apple has lost me as a customer for the time being.

22. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Oh boy, I can't wait to see what your opinion is of Windows or Android. If you think Apple requires some user intervention ;)

P.S. I LEFT Android because I didn't want to "tinker" with things anymore and wanted a phone that just worked.

Goodluck!

23. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

My battery life was average on my 5s, but after a full iTunes restore it's been much better. To give up on the iPhone and Apple as a brand is crazy, as like many, you'll be back...

24. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

iPhone 5 updated from iOS 6 to iOS 7 and the battery last 3 hours on wifi

Compared to 9-11 hours with iOS 6

Terrible battery life. This is an emergency that apple needs to look to fix this week. The phone sometimes even shuts off at around 40 percent and when I plug it in. It shows different percentages and after that it only last a few minutes before it does the same thing again. Only used 3G and the phone died in less than an hour since it shuts off at around 40 percent.
    Terrible.....apple needs to fix this serious problem.