iOS 7.0.4 severe battery drainage

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Jbenn425, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Jbenn425 macrumors regular

After the update, my iPhone 5 battery life is appalling. Not only that, the battery life percentage gets stuck on one number for 20 minutes and will then drop the battery life by 10% when it unfreezes, even if all i did was a little iMessaging. Sometimes it'll say 37% battery life left and then the next minute I get the 20% warning. Has anyone else been noticing these issues?

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Do the usual drill because my iPhone 5 is just fine.

1. Reset all network settings
    2. Reset all settings
    3. Restart the phone

If after all this your battery is still jacked up try a full clean install (no restore from backup). If that still doesn't work you may want to take the phone to Apple to look at.

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I'd start with #3 above. That's usually enough.

4. Jbenn425 thread starter macrumors regular

Tried everything, still doing it.

5. kwokaaron macrumors 6502a

kwokaaron

If all of it mentioned above doesn't work, I would say backup your phone, and do a clean restore on your phone. Check to see if the battery life is back to normal, and then restore your backup back onto it.

6. reery macrumors regular

reery

Here on an iPhone 4S i usually got 7 to 8 hours browsing with iOS 7.0.3.
    The battery loses around 10% over night while idle.

Now with iOS 7.0.4 I got 3 hours from 100 to 20% at night and on the next morning the iPhone was shut down, using 20% or more during night time.

7. Oz. macrumors regular

Oz.

8. jtsdad macrumors newbie

My battery life is horrible on my 4S as well.

9. arefbe macrumors regular

arefbe

My iPhone 5 is fine. It's my 5th Gen iPod Touch's battery that has gone south. Big Time. Despite doing everything recommended by Armen (Thanks!) it still loses 10% battery an hour, with just the original Apple apps that came with it, and wi-fi (and damn near everything else) off.

10. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

It is possible if your iPhone is a couple of years old, that the battery has reached the end of its life.

You can try DFU restoring in iTunes then set the phone up as a new phone.

11. imagineadam macrumors 6502a

Did this happen while you were on LTE or wifi? I'm getting the same thing when I'm on LTE. BIG drops. But when I'm on wifi it drops at mostly a normal rate. I have full signal on both too.

12. Jbenn425 thread starter macrumors regular

It happened on LTE for me as well, wifi was pretty much ok. But I have an update: I took my iPhone to the Apple store and they ran a diagnostic and it turned out my battery needed servicing. They said it would cost $79 to replace it. I decided not to do it and I took it home and downloaded an app on my Mac called iBackupbot to test my battery. Turned out my battery was only working at 74% of its original capacity. I bought an $8 battery replacement on ebay and changed it myself. $71 saved and a brand new battery. How old is your iPhone? Mine is a first batch iPhone 5 from September 2012.

13. imagineadam macrumors 6502a

I bought a refurb i5 for 99 and got it in December. I'm almost certain in was one of those scratch gate phones since there was only a couple little nicks in it. Ran fine on ios 6 and I had it jailbroken since feb of last year. Ran fine got 6-8 hours heavy usage everyday up until I broke down and upgraded to ios 7. Then the problems began. I had a battery app that showed me my health of battery which was constantly 90-93 percent with about 1300 mAH going on 400 cycles. Not sure how accurate the app is but it's probably pulling the info straight from whatever thing you used. So I'm thinking it's not my battery. My 3 year old iphone 4 has ios 7 and it gets normal usage with the same battery and I've put that phone though it's paces! It must be ios 7 incorrectly reading drainage off the lte modem and that's why the percent drops off in large chunks.

So what kind of usage are you getting now? And is the percentage dropping fast like before? Do you really think it was the battery itself??

14. Jbenn425 thread starter macrumors regular

I will let you know in a couple of days when I really get some usage out of it. I just replaced the battery last night and haven't really left the house today and haven't really used my phone much. I also updated to 7.1 today so idk how that will effect it.

15. sanchitrock macrumors newbie

Solved...

Had the same issue on my iphone 5 (7.0.4)

1.Drain the battery to 0% till the iphone shut down.
    2.Charge the iphone to 100%
    3.When Fully charged,unplug the phone.
    4.Hold the sleep and the home button together till the the iphone shutdown and
    restarts.
    5.Release the buttons on seeing the apple logo.

Hope it works for you too......

16. imagineadam macrumors 6502a

I've tried this. The annoying thing about this method is when you reset after unplugging you lose the usage and standby tracking times so then it's harder to keep track on that particular cycle. Anyways yes I've done this and I've restored as new twice. Nothing seems to work. I'm curious to see how this guys new battery works after a couple of days. My gut is still telling me it's something to do with how ios interprets battery drain. But why/how could this break? Is the majority of people out there with i5's on ios 7.0.4 having any battery issues with the meter and just more draining? Maybe I'm in the minority. Want my ios 6 back :(

17. kimovski macrumors regular

My iphone 5 on wifi surfing is fine, but the battery goes crazy drain surfing on 3g/lte. Really wish could go back to iOS6.