iOS 7.1.0/.1 small bug with easy fix but Apple doesn't care

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by jake42, Apr 24, 2014.

1. jake42 macrumors newbie

Devices where bug is present: iPhone 5/5C
    Bug : in Settings->Usage->scroll down to the bottom where the icloud section is->bug: 'ícloud' word overlaps the last app in the app list written above or something else.

!!!This happens only when Internet connection is OFF( NO Wi-fi and Cellular )
    When internet is turned on, the problem goes away.

Incredibly small, with such an easy fix I imagine. But Apple doesn't properly test their software. I don't know what they test if such a small thing can pass by them and still exist in later ios versions. (7.1.1)

I wonder how many underneath bugs there are, that we don't know about and can't see them(security, cpu/memory management, etc.) that Apple doesn't care enough to find and fix them and they affect our overall experience of the product.

Can those of you who read this, test it on their devices and post here the device you tested on and if it has the bug ? (maybe it's present on 4, 4S, 5S, iPads too ?)

Thank you ! And maybe somebody from apple reads this and addresses the issue !

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Dont put your phone in airplane mode...bug fixed! ;)

4. jake42 thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't say anything about airplane mode...
    And I am not one of those people who keep their internet turned on all the time.

Maybe you are, because apparently the only way you think you can keep your phone without internet access is when you have airplane mode enabled...

Even so, with airplane mode, if I kept it on cause that's what I like, why should I change something to cover up the bug ?

5. nightstalkerz macrumors 6502

This has been in since iOS 7.0 and it also affects the iCloud settings bit as well.

I thought it might have been fixed in iOS 7.1 but I was wrong.

6. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

You won't believe I have this same irritating feeling!! It's so bad! So small issue but no fix!

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's basically it, it's so trivial and low in priority that often things of this nature don't end up making it into releases/patches if there are more important things to address, and there have been quite a few of those.

If anything Apple has been fixing the larger issues, specifically those surrounding stability, performance, security, etc. as can be seen with noticeable improvements in iOS 7.1 (most of which were "under the hood" so to say).

There are always bugs in any OS and software, some bigger some smaller, some larger priority some lower, nothing new or surprising about this. Things that are of higher priority and/or of higher severity get addressed earlier and smaller things sometimes get while often they don't as people are working on other bigger things.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It happens on the 5S as well.

[​IMG]

It's a formatting issue. The error message stating that Cloud storage details aren't available (because no internet connection) is forcing the text to display out of the bounds of the background region allotted for that piece of text.

You imagine, but we really don't know. There may be some limitation in the formatting of the design elements that fixing the background so that it matches the height of the error message and the iCloud field in that very specific circumstance, might require some major code changes. Perhaps it was a boneheaded move on the part of whoever designed that portion of the UI. Regardless, we can't be fully certain if the change is a couple of lines of code, or a couple dozen, or a couple hundred.

I'm about to raise your blood pressure quite a bit then, merely by saying the following: there are LOTS of unseen bugs that relate to CPU, memory management and security. Right now. On your iPhone. And if you're using a Mac, there will probably be untold errors of similar nature there too.

Let me raise your blood pressure a bit further: The same is also true on Windows (all versions), Android, and all flavors of Linux. The code is developed by humans, and humans are not perfect nor omniscient. They cannot possibly predict or account for every error they make, nor can they predict or account for people using or accessing the software in ways they didn't think about or intend. that's just the way software development is.

Now, it IS a little vexing that this one cosmetic bug hasn't been fixed over a couple of releases now. But does it affect security? Does it affect the usability of the device? Does it cause actual harm? I would argue that answer to all of these questions is "no." It's also not necessarily indicative of how more serious bugs are handled.

It's not present on my iPad Air.

I wouldn't count on it. Have you submitted the bug to the feedback form?

----------

You shouldn't have to. But at the same time, I'm not so sure this bug is something you should be raising your anxiety level over by such a large amount. Especially considering that that entire purpose of the "buggy" message is to inform you that there is no useful information to display.

There are much more serious issues which probably deserve this level of attention, over and above the bug you've chosen to obsess over. Like the fact that there is no synchronicity between fixes in OS X and iOS that address serious security flaws, that could potentially leave users vulnerable for days or longer. On the totem pole of bugs, I think THAT problem ranks a bit higher. Just a smidge. And if Apple does solve that bigger problem, but takes two years to fix this display bug, I will be totally okay with that.

9. jake42 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I did. Hopefully someone will read and fix:d

I know there are more important problems that need fixing and I'm glad they do fix some of them. I'm just saying that I think they could do better, it's not like they're a small company.
    And small things like this can add up in time if not fixed and can be very annoying. So "small" bugs should be taken into consideration too.

Other than that, it doesn't bother me that much. I am very pleased with the experience in 7.1.1. Since the only thing that really bothered me in 7.1.0 was the laggy control center in lockscreen which seems smoother now with 7.1.1.

Oh (and maybe it's just me here) the new colour of the 'slide to unlock' that 7.1 introduced no longer changes depending on the background. So if I have a darker background or other compositions too it looks kind of ugly and unreadable...Only some images fit that particular color.

I don't get the change. It was nice before, easy to read and pleasing to the eye... :)

10. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

OP, if this is your front line problem in life, just wait till you have a family and children, several car payments and a mortgage. I hope one day, you will then smile and realise that this little bug is not really that big of a problem!:apple:

11. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I just noticed this whilst checking my battery usage stats. A small aesthetic problem which will probably be picked up sometime.

[​IMG]

12. MarcusCarpenter macrumors 6502a

MarcusCarpenter

13. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

I noticed it now on my 5c and it doesn't really bother me. I always use wifi/data everywhere I go and the chances of me switching off data and going into that screen is slim! Hey ho there are worse bugs lol