Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasjohal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
I have an iPhone 5S which hasn't been used in several months, but there are important messages on there which are not backed up either on iCloud or on iTunes. After the phone had been off for such a long time, I have forgotten what the passcode on the phone was and when I eventually charged it and turned it back on, the date/time had reset to 1st January 1970, rendering my iPhone 'disabled' for approx. 23 million minutes. There is of course an easy way around this - restore the phone in DFU mode, but I will lose all my data, which I ideally I'd like to avoid.

So, there is a way I can think of getting past the 23 million minutes issue, which is to let the iPhone use the network time, for that I'll have to get a SIM card which will connect to 3G, that I can do tomorrow. If there's any other way to do that, that would be good, but if not I can do that tomorrow.

Is there any way to reset or brute force the passcode?

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I have an iPhone 5S which hasn't been used in several months, but there are important messages on there which are not backed up either on iCloud or on iTunes. After the phone had been off for such a long time, I have forgotten what the passcode on the phone was and when I eventually charged it and turned it back on, the date/time had reset to 1st January 1970, rendering my iPhone 'disabled' for approx. 23 million minutes. There is of course an easy way around this - restore the phone in DFU mode, but I will lose all my data, which I ideally I'd like to avoid.

So, there is a way I can think of getting past the 23 million minutes issue, which is to let the iPhone use the network time, for that I'll have to get a SIM card which will connect to 3G, that I can do tomorrow. If there's any other way to do that, that would be good, but if not I can do that tomorrow.

Is there any way to reset or brute force the passcode?

Install iOS 8 without erasing the phone.

Last edited:

Alonso Quijano

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2013
It if had been previously synced and trusted with any of your computers, plugging it in will remove the time limit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.