iOS 7.1.2 still being signed

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by rd261, Sep 18, 2014.

1. rd261 macrumors regular

Just letting everyone know you can still downgrade if you are not happy with ios8. I think ios8 is great it just need a bit polishing. Just put phone on recovery mode download the ipsw and restore with itunes. Easy as pie.

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

That's cool. I wish Apple would let old firmware be signed for at least 2 weeks so people can try out the new OS and go back if it ****s with performance / battery life.

3. Thoir, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014

Thoir macrumors member

It will install, but won't activate.
    At least that is the issue I am having now. stuck in failed activation for an hour now. I might just take my loss and have a brick of an iPhone 5 on iOS 8.. #fail

4. thetruest macrumors regular

Anyone else tried it within the past couple hours or know if its still being signed or possbile to install 7.1.2? the sites http://api.ineal.me/tss/status and http://www.icj.me/ios/all say it is but the post above an hour ago worries me (not currently on 8 and dont wana go to it).

----------

how often/recent is the data in those sites updated anyone know?

5. Thoir macrumors member

Well, I am back to the brick iOS 8.
    This little action destroyed the latest backup I had. So I had to go back a few days. It reset all warnings on the phone. And reset all iCloud settings.

I don't care too much. Still have my pictures/ most settings/ contacts/ notes. But this is not why I went to Apple 10 years ago. When it just worked.

6. thetruest macrumors regular

agreed the way itunes deals with ios is very cumbersome and unintiuitive. In the future if u want to make sure ur backups arent overwritten, archive it in itunes preferences: cmd+, shortcut and in devices (cmd+6 in prefs brings it up) control+click the backup and select archive. Also option to show location of backups in finder in right click.

Also general rule of thumb, that still seems to be most definitely the case: never restore from an itunes/icloud backup of a jailbreak. Especially if u plan to jailbreak that restore. It will be full of bugs and performance issues. Doesnt look like that will change anytime soon either.

7. RiderX macrumors regular

Always save your iOS backups with Timemachine. The you can always return.

8. thetruest macrumors regular

9. rd261 thread starter macrumors regular

I downgraded around 11pm last night and went flawlessly. Im happily back on ios7

10. Dreamliner330 macrumors 6502a

I will stay on iOS 7.1.2 JB until I buy a iP6 with iOS 8 JB. Never again will I update past an OS the phone shipped with. (I still think 6.1.2 JB is the best iOS has ever been).

11. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

I'm getting nothing but "This iPhone cannot be restored because the firmware file is incompatible" over and over.. Guess i'm stuck on iOS8. It's not a signing issue, iTunes just thinks the correct ISPW is not compatible with my phone. Verizon iPhone 5S

12. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

Are you using the GSM version?

13. thetruest macrumors regular

Just so everyone knows, theyre still signing 7.1.2 (thankfully) and it absolutely still works. I just restored an iPad air and iPhone to it more than once and jailbroke flawlessly.

http://www.icj.me/ios/all
    http://api.ineal.me/tss/status

if both those sites are still sayin yes, i think u should have at leas the hour.

Whatever problems u run into are not because u cant currently install 7.1.2. Make sure ur doing it right.

agree also that 6.1.2 was possibly the best ios. (RIP Steve Jobs)

14. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

I have Verizon but figured out I need to use the GSM version of the firmware, not CDMA for some reason.