iOS 7.1/AT&T/iPhone 5s- Personal Hot Spot question

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by starstreak, Apr 8, 2014.

1. starstreak macrumors 6502

*not the "can't save APN" issue*

I updated to 7.1, I'm on AT&T and have tethering from them. I'm not jailbroken. I "think" at that same time I updated, started having a issue where when I turn on the Personal Hot Spot, I thought it used to turn the top line on my screen blue to tell me its on? Now it's not there. And my computer/other devices can't find my phone in the wifi list. BUT once in a while if I turn the iPhone wifi/computer wifi/hot spot on/off I can see my phone in the wifi list and connect to it. THEN I see the blue bar.

Is there something wrong or am I just not enabling it correctly? All I needed to do is turn Hot Spot on, and I can see I have a Wi-Fi Password with a password typed in on the screen.

2. todd2000 macrumors 68000

The blue bar only shows up when a device is connected to the phone. As for your devices not seeing it, I find I sometimes have to toggle the Hotspot off, and on a few times to get my MacBook to see it. Not sure why...

3. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there something on the screen that tells me it's running, even if nothing is connected?

4. WJKramer macrumors 6502

I've always had to toggle personal hotspot on and off then on to get it to work. 3 different iPhones with 3 different iOS's. A bug that has never been addressed. So annoying.

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

If you mean to ask if it's enabled - only in settings where it says on.

6. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah ok. Yeah. Now that I know what to try, I can connect better if I turn off/on the hot spot 3-4 times in a row. The. My computer finds it.
    Too bad they don't make an icon that show the hotspot is on. Even with nothing connecting to it, I could see how battery life could go down.

7. TyWahn macrumors 6502

TyWahn

The blue bar is there with the number of clients connected. :)

8. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I hate that blue line it often covers important on-screen controls. Maps does it too so I've quit using Apple Maps. WTF Apple? Just put notifications in the top bar like android, or is that patented?

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

What kind of controls and where?

10. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

The one that bugs me the most is if I have Apple Maps in the background, and Songza on top, I can't get to the "back" arrow at the top left because the blue bar is covering it. My typical driving is map in background and songza in top, so I use google maps instead, which goes away completely into the background, the way a program in the background should!

If I have wifi hotspot on in the car (for passengers), same problem.

Blue bar is stupid.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

I thought that to account for and accommodate the double-sized status bar all apps would essentially be shifted down by that much so that no controls are affected or anything is blocked. I wonder why that might not be the case.

12. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

. I guess they're still working out that whole bug vs feature thing.

----------

Same here

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

So I've played around a bit with the double-height status bar when I was in a call and another time on a Skype call and even for navigation (just to try it out): I tried about a dozen different apps in that state, some stock/native ones and some other ones, and every single one moved down just a bit to display all of itself right below the larger status bar to accommodate for it--all the controls that are normally there were still visible and accessible.

Not sure why something like Sognza would behave differently in your case, either it's the app that might somehow not be accommodating for it all (which would be a bit odd), or something else is affecting it somehow.

14. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Now that I think about it, the issue might be fixed in the latest Songza version, but I'm refusing to update to it because it has 30 second video ads (ugh). Nevertheless I find the blue bar annoying as hell, especially at night when it's way too bright on my dash, even with brightness turned all the way down (the 5s has a 10% brighter screen overall - I wish it was 10% dimmer instead).

15. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Also GarageBand had an annoying red bar like this when you close the app. It also seems unnecessary to have the status bar turn blue right after you start airplay mirroring your iphone to Apple TV.