iOS 7.1 Beta 1: App Store bug

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Ensaladin, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Ensaladin macrumors newbie

I have a 32GB iPhone 5S running the beta 1 of iOS7.1, and in the app store, recently like today (11-20-13), when i was to do an update for various apps, instead of saying the "Update" button, says "Open" and doesn't let me do the updates, even the "Update All" button it's unavailable.

Anyone know a fix?

I already closed the app, turned off the phone, and nothing happened, it still have the bug.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

That happens sometimes even in previous iOS versions. Generally it means that there's an update available for an app but it hasn't really made it to all (or most) of App Store servers, so for now it still simply shows the option to open your existing version of the app, until the update shows up on a server that your App Store app checks and shows the actual update being available to download/install.

3. cpenner macrumors regular

This is currently happening to all apps on my iPhone 5S and iPad 3, both running iOS 7.1 beta 1. Every app (I have 8 app updates on both devices) just says "Open", the "Update All" button is greyed out, and the apps have been sitting there waiting to be updated for over 24 hours now with no way for me to force the updates. The fact that as each update appears, it immediately changes to open suggests to me it isn't due to the app not being on the App Store servers yet.

This is frustrating. I hope Apple fixes this soon

4. SumYoungGai macrumors 6502a

I just press "Open" and it seems like the apps update in the background. If you go to the page that the app is on, you can see it updating.

5. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

This.

Happens to me sometimes but hasn't for a while. I came up with the same conclusion.

----------

Strange how it's happening to ALL your apps in the updates tab. Have you tried a restart or reset all settings?

6. cpenner macrumors regular

Yes I have both restarted and hard reset (held home and power until the device has restarted) both devices. After leaving the devices alone, some of the apps have managed to update themselves, but some apps just will not update, and it is different apps on both devices. For example, Find My Friends will not update on my iPhone 5S, it just says Open, but that app has updated fine on my iPad 3.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

What if you search for the particular apps in the App Store and go to their individual pages there--do you get an upgrade option there?

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I'm getting this issue as well. iPhone 5 on 7.1 beta 1.

I've hard reset, quit the app store, gone to the app's page, etc..Nothing works to get it to update.

Will just let it go and see if it corrects itself later today.

Glad I'm not alone, though!

9. cpenner macrumors regular

Nope, just the "Open" button. And when I press that, it opens the old version of the app (I know this because one of my main troublesome apps right now is Find My Friends, which has a new UI that I don't see when the app opens)

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

That seems somewhat more odd and beyond the more typical occurrence of this. Perhaps there's something behind it all linked to 7.1 beta 1, even though not everyone is encountering the issue. Or perhaps there's some weirdness with some App Store servers that some people happen to connect to more often than not.

11. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

I get why people wanted to try iOS 7 before everybody, I did it too (general release) but I don't see the value of updating to a very buggy software like 7.1 on your primary device... Sure the animations, lag and things are very tempting but can't you wait till january? at least wait till beta 3

12. rdinterman macrumors member

rdinterman

Same issue here with 7.1 b1. Multiple apps in the update area, but say "Open". Throughout the day some of them have randomly updated. Weird.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

What exactly is very buggy about it (for the vast majority at least)?

And who necessarily does it using their primary device (or at least does it without fully knowing, understanding, and accepting what that can entail)?

14. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

nothing, it's actually much better than 7.0.4

15. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

I had this issue for my Dropbox app update on my 7.1 5S. I ended up just deleting the app and redownloading it.

16. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

maybe people flooding threads with 7.1 beta questions on their 5Ss?

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

There's a flood of bugs that make it really buggy (compared to publicly released versions of iOS 7)?

18. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

yes there are, like making your phone extremely hot, dropping lte connections, battery life bugs and some overalping issues, not to mention issues with the spanish language on this version

19. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

Funny how I don't see those bugs and battery life is much better than 7.0.4 on the 5S

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Battery "issues" and all that are plenty common across any version, and it doesn't appear like there's anything really new, really bad, or widespread with this version. Dropping LTE connections don't appear to be something that is all that widespread either based on a number of different long iOS 7.1 beta 1 threads. Sure, there are some overlapping issues and other visual glitches (and there are even some of those in the released versions of iOS 7.0), but those are hardly bad or important issues on any level. Not quite sure what the Spanish language issue is or how bad and/or widespread it is in relation to iOS 7.1 beta 1, so I can't really comment on that.

So far, again, based on a few fairly extensive iOS 7.1 beta 1 threads, this beta doesn't really seem all that buggy--there are issues here and there, but generally nothing really big/critical/important/widespread.

21. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Are people still having this issue?

I had two apps that had updates on Saturday morning. They are stuck under Pending Updates, but cannot get them to update. Next to them, it says "Open," not "Update." I've tried a hard reset, logging in and out of app store, turning on/off automatic app updates, etc..

I've had other apps update since then just fine, including today, just these two are stuck.

22. cpenner macrumors regular