Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
I hope they change the caps lock / shift key colours.

Whoever thought that changing the icon from white to grey (the UI equivalent from on to disabled), was more concerned with it matching the other keys; it's confusing. Is grey on, or off, or disabled?

CapsLock/shift and backspace keys on the keyboard should both be grey and white when pressed.

I agree, they need to change this to how it was previously. Very confusing!

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
7.1b3 is already more stable than 7.0.4 is. I got fed up with the number of Safari crashes and restarts that I put it on my primary iPad Air rather than just my iPad mini I usually do dev work with.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I think the 5S needs more work with issues than my 5. That new 64-bit OS has some rough edges.

batmccoy

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2005
Really not very Apple-like

So, this is Apple without Jobs and Forstall.

Like the 49ers without Walsh and Montana.

Not saying there's anything anyone can do about it. Just reality.

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
Usually I don't complain much about the content of the news articles but I'm really not getting why this is important for us to be informed that another beta is being released to developers?

Keep doing what you usually do then, or just don't read something that you don't like.

----------

Well said.

Dookieman

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2009

Whoever thought that changing the icon from white to grey (the UI equivalent from on to disabled), was more concerned with it matching the other keys; it's confusing. Is grey on, or off, or disabled?

CapsLock/shift and backspace keys on the keyboard should both be grey and white when pressed.

Agreed. Its annoying a difficult to tell when it is selected.

Also, they need to fix the Auto-Brightness bug. It doesn't seem to to working properly for me on my iPhone 5.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Hopefully this will fix the camera swipe lock screen issue.

Has anyone else discovered this, but if I swipe to the camera from the lock screen to get to the camera and take a horizontal picture, when I get back to the lock screen and swipe to unlock I get a horizontal keyboard in portrait mode making it impossibe to put in my password because only half of the keyboard shows at one time!

Have that with other apps.

Quit the app and launch again usually takes care of it.

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
Looking forward to the memory fixes! My iPhone 4S has problems keeping 3 apps running in the background and those are not even games.

My 5s struggles to go into multi-tasking menu without springboarding ...
Yes! I was happy with iOS7 on my 4S right away, but I've come to dislike it for this large reason alone. Also, there are times the Phone app feels sluggish... arguably the most important app in iOS. I find myself having to wait while the phone thinks to simply make a call.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
BGR has a poor track record on this stuff.
But I guess they should nail this one since it's just one day out.

Edit: Geez, I think it was being released as I wrote this. BGR blew it.

Last edited:

touchipods

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012

I agree. You have been a member on this site for some time so you must know about all the changes to Apple throughout the years- particularly after the death of Steve Jobs.

For me, it would be the following off the top of my head:

1. iOS 7 looking awful and being slow on many devices. Everyone talked about how iOS 6 (which was a lame update compared to iOS 1-5) was lacking consistency in certain apps (which was true). Now, there is no consistency in icons between Mac OS and iOS.

Apple needs to make the next Mac OS look like iOS 7. Remove all the skeuomorphism in Mac OS for the next version and make it flat. See how that turns out for consumers.

2. iTunes 11 being horrible compared to iTunes 10. For example removing multiple windows.

3. Firing Scott Forstall. Steve Jobs would have never fired Forstall. He and Jobs had similar vision when it came to software design (skeuomorphism).

4. Basically killing the iPod line. When Jobs was CEO a new iPod touch came out every year (from 2007-2010). Now a refresh occurs it seems every 2 years under Cook. Jobs knew iPod was how Apple got back in the game as being a relevant company making lot's of money.

5. Releasing the iPad Mini. Steve Jobs believed a perfect size tablet was 9.7 inches after numerous testing. He would not approve of the mini.

6. Apple nearly dropping itself from environment certification in 2012. They did only to come back to EPEAT and posting a letter.

7. Last but certainly not least, no new innovation from Apple. With Jobs since 2001-2010 it was iPod, iPhone, and to an extent iPad (since it has replaced the need for a laptop for many) but what now under Cook?

Personally, I believe Apple should look at making cars. I'm dead serious too. People weren't sure how Apple would do being in the phone business and look how that has turned out.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I agree. You have been a member on this site for some time so you must know about all the changes to Apple throughout the years- particularly after the death of Steve Jobs.

For me, it would be the following off the top of my head:

1. iOS 7 looking awful and being slow on many devices. Everyone talked about how iOS 6 (which was a lame update compared to iOS 1-5) was lacking consistency in certain apps (which was true). Now, there is no consistency in icons between Mac OS and iOS.

Apple needs to make the next Mac OS look like iOS 7. Remove all the skeuomorphism in Mac OS for the next version and make it flat. See how that turns out for consumers.

2. iTunes 11 being horrible compared to iTunes 10. For example removing multiple windows.

3. Firing Scott Forstall. Steve Jobs would have never fired Forstall. He and Jobs had similar vision when it came to software design (skeuomorphism).

4. Basically killing the iPod line. When Jobs was CEO a new iPod touch came out every year (from 2007-2010). Now a refresh occurs it seems every 2 years under Cook. Jobs knew iPod was how Apple got back in the game as being a relevant company making lot's of money.

5. Releasing the iPad Mini. Steve Jobs believed a perfect size tablet was 9.7 inches after numerous testing. He would not approve of the mini.

6. Apple nearly dropping itself from environment certification in 2012. They did only to come back to EPEAT and posting a letter.

7. Last but certainly not least, no new innovation from Apple. With Jobs since 2001-2010 it was iPod, iPhone, and to an extent iPad (since it has replaced the need for a laptop for many) but what now under Cook?

Personally, I believe Apple should look at making cars. I'm dead serious too. People weren't sure how Apple would do being in the phone business and look how that has turned out.

I don't think you're making any good points here.
1. iOS updates made old devices slower under Jobs.
2. people didn't like iTunes 10 and earlier either
3. no argument
4. iPhone has replaced the iPod for most. This was Steve's vision, too. See the original iPhone announcement.
5. Steve had a track record of contradicting his one previous proclamations. He never let his previous statements get in the way of a good idea. And it's hard to argue the mini was a bad idea. Also, there's a good chance they arrived at 9.7" based on things like feasible display and battery technology of the time. Also, he made that statement at a time when 9.7" was at the limits of feasible display technology. As the tech changes, so too would the best size. Even according to Steve.
6. Well, OK, I guess you can attribute that to a lack of Steve, but it seems purely speculative. It's also a really small thing.
7. A7. Mac Pro. Mainstreamed fingerprint authentication. iOS 7.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010

this. I can never tell. blue was nice, very easy to see it was "on".

touchipods

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
I don't think you're making any good points here.
1. iOS updates made old devices slower under Jobs.
2. people didn't like iTunes 10 and earlier either
3. no argument
4. iPhone has replaced the iPod for most. This was Steve's vision, too. See the original iPhone announcement.
5. Steve had a track record of contradicting his one previous proclamations. He never let his previous statements get in the way of a good idea. And it's hard to argue the mini was a bad idea. Also, there's a good chance they arrived at 9.7" based on things like feasible display and battery technology of the time. Also, he made that statement at a time when 9.7" was at the limits of feasible display technology. As the tech changes, so too would the best size. Even according to Steve.
6. Well, OK, I guess you can attribute that to a lack of Steve, but it seems purely speculative. It's also a really small thing.
7. A7. Mac Pro. Mainstreamed fingerprint authentication. iOS 7.

Well that is one way to look at it.

1. The only iOS that was really slow under Steve was iOS 4 on iPhone 3G. After that Apple learned the hard way to cut off support if the performance suffers. For example, iOS 5.1 (under Forstall) ran smooth on iPhone 3gs, 4, 4s, ipod touch 3g/4g, iPad 1,2,3.

Now with iOS 7 it runs slow/applications crash and not as smooth as iOS 6 in the following devices: iPhone 4, 4s, ipod touch 5g, iPad 2,3 and Mini. iPhone 5 and iPad 4 is not too bad.

2. iTunes 11 like iOS 7 is quite a change and some hate it.

For example: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1504347/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4557327?start=0&tstart=0

Many seem to hate that coverflow was removed. Steve Jobs introduced coverflow in one of the keynotes and I believe he would have never removed this feature.

4. If that was true, Jobs would have never released an iPod touch. At the iOS 4 keynote in April 2010, Jobs said 50 million iPhones have been sold while 35 million iPod touches were sold.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/iphone-os-4-0-keynote-the-highlights/6561

Now the iPod touch is pretty much dead under Cook.

5. Possible Steve would come around with a smaller iPad but I doubt it. For example while Steve was alive, the iPhone was the same 3.5 inch screen from 2007-2011.

7. A7 was an obvious logical upgrade from A6. If you mean the 64-bit CPU part, I agree it is nice. But with only 1 GB RAM on A7 devices there are less RAM to work with compared to 32-bit 1 GB RAM iOS devices. New Mac Pro looks like a garbage can. When I saw that keynote live using the Apple stream that was the first thought that came to mind.

Fingerprint scanner not sure how much I trust Apple with the recent NSA privacy scandals. Would Apple bend to government demands? I believe under Cook they will. iOS 7 is a very divisive release.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
7. A7 was an obvious logical upgrade from A6. If you mean the 64-bit CPU part, I agree it is nice. But with only 1 GB RAM on A7 devices there are less RAM to work with compared to 32-bit 1 GB RAM iOS devices. New Mac Pro looks like a garbage can. When I saw that keynote live using the Apple stream that was the first thought that came to mind.

Fingerprint scanner not sure how much I trust Apple with the recent NSA privacy scandals. Would Apple bend to government demands? I believe under Cook they will. iOS 7 is a very divisive release.

I could whack back at all of those, but I'll just do the most interesting one.
You don't understand the innovation in those products. But don't worry, I'll tell you:
A7 is a new mobile ARM architecture that no one was anticipating. 64-bit is just a part of it. Read the Anandtech review to get an idea. It's has previously unheard of performance/watt -- incredibly important for mobile devices, obviously. The new Mac Pro his a fundamental shift in workstation power away from CPU to GPU. This is quite significant since CPU computing power increases have stagnated (relatively speaking) vs GPU computing power. This is a big step though... no one's quite sure if Apple is ahead of its time or made the wrong bet or what (well, at least no one should be sure). Re the fingerprint scanner... well, I agree in general that Apple isn't going to be somehow special in regard to protecting civil liberties. But fingerprint data isn't nearly as much a problem as location x time data so no real problem there re the NSA. I know iOS 7 is divisive. I still argue it's innovative. It's not so much the visual design (I like it fine, but I think a lot of things could have worked... to me it's not special). Maybe the most remarkable thing is how they've finally cracked OS updates. It seems small but when you can assume the bulk of the entire installed base will have the latest it really allows the platform to accelerate. This is something that would have been a huge boon to software development since it's very beginning and no one has managed to pull it off for a large scale platform... until now. It's huge and it's difficult to measure how this will benefit the platform. In the short term you'll just see that the software you use will be updated more quickly and consistently than ever before and will more quickly incorporate the latest system features (because developers can focus on the latest OS (or two for the most conservative) without fear of leaving their old customers behind. In the longer run, it means the platform can evolve much more quickly as a whole, so it's hard to say what this will mean. E.g., let's say bump to share is really a great thing. Samsubg introduces it in their S-whatever. But it only works with other S-whatever or later phone. Meaning, no matter how great it is, you're going usually not going to be able to find someone to use it with. The software developers all know this so they avoid designing software that actually depends on it. So a possibly great feature is almost completely neutered (note: I'm not actually saying bump-to-share is great -- I don't think it is -- I'm just trying to explain this in terms of something we all know.) But with iOS... well, now all of a sudden you *can* assume everyone has the latest and greatest. So you can design software that depends on it. And all of your users will mostly be able to take advantage of it without compromise. What will this lead to? I don't know. But it's great.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Beta 4 is out; downloading now. Build 11D5134c

nevermind. just woke up, iPhone is dead (first time I've ever seen a bricked iPhone!) and I'm a little slow today

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.