iOS 7.1 beta - battery?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by virginblue4, Dec 30, 2013.

1. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I'm a registered developer however I do not actually develop apps. I went through every beta of iOS 7 right up until the GM on my iPhone 5 & iPad mini.

I'm going to install iOS 7.1 onto my 5S in a minute, I'm just going to ask a really naive question, obviously I know betas can be unpredictable, say if it causes terrible battery life on my 5S, if I restore back to 7.0.4, there isn't a chance of any damage to the battery at all is there? As in at a hardware level.

Just typing it out make me realise how ridiculous I sound! I can deal with beta bugs but as long as I know it's safe to go ahead, I will install it.

Thanks for your help :)

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

iOS won't damage your battery. I went to 7.1 Beta 2 a week ago and I'm back on 7.0.4.

3. virginblue4 thread starter macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Any particular reason you went back?

4. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

I have 7.1b2 on my 5S and I will not ever go back to 7.0.4. I LOVE IT. Great battery, a lot more stable, hasn't crashed once.

5. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I'm gonna chime in, as well. I didn't have many issues with 7.0.4, but 7.1 seems much better. I'd only go back if my battery life was suffering, but it seems pretty good (for a beta).

6. virginblue4 thread starter macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I have now updated both my iPhone 5s and my iPad mini, and wow, the speed improvements are huge! Hopefully battery life is good as well :)

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Poor battery life is typically caused by restoring a backup onto the device or an application issue. The beta itself shouldn't cause a problem.

Beta versions can harm the hardware. I don't remember which beta it was but IIRC the cpu thermal protection wasn't working. Or something like that. :) Now I'm going to have to go back and look to defend myself against the "no it can't" chorus. I'm thinking it was the same one where e911 wasn't working. To Google!!!