iOS 7.1 Easy nested folders without jailbreak [video]

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by spriter, Mar 23, 2014.

1. spriter, Mar 23, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014

spriter macrumors 65816

spriter

Hopefully this isn't a dupe of a known trick (at least as simply as this) but...

If you drag one app icon over to another which initiates the create folder action, whilst quickly letting go and selecting a current folder and dragging it into the 'newly created' folder. Timing is key so it may take a little practice.

See the video below (not mine).
    http://www.ithome.com/html/iphone/77887.htm

EDIT: YT video for those with problems loading the Chinese original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pS1mQPBxA0

Works on my rMini and 5s with or without Reduce Motion on. The only side effect seems to be a 'jerk' when backing out of a nested folder as the wallpaper scales.

2. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

i can't seem to find the video on that site ... its in chinese. I could not reproduce this on my 5s running 7.1

Can you post of video on youtube of you doing it yourself?

3. spriter thread starter macrumors 65816

spriter

OK I'll see what I can do in a few hours. I'm in China at the moment so need to find a host other than YT.

4. Azy macrumors regular

Didn't watch video just did what. OP said and it works. You can't see nested folder in the folder icon but it appears when you open the folder. Cool find

5. g-7 macrumors 6502

g-7

The video is right on the linked page, just below the text and the image. It works — both the video and the method. Great find!

6. spriter thread starter macrumors 65816

spriter

Here's a video on a friend's YouTube account for those having trouble on the Chinese page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pS1mQPBxA0

Key is to let go and select the folder you want to put in the 'new folder' as soon as the 'new folder' creation animation is about to start.

7. Shuri macrumors 6502

I can approve; Worked on my iPhone 5 without watching the video, just doing what that OP said. :)

No crashes either (till now), like it used to in pre iOS 7.

Only downside is like the OP said: When you go into the nested folder, the Wallpaper zooms in and out again, which some people might not like.

8. tinous98 macrumors newbie

Unfortunately this method does not work if you want to put several folders in one. I loved the fact that I could have one folder for my games and inside several nested folders where I could tidy up my games by genre.

9. Shuri macrumors 6502

You're right, you can put a folder with a nested folder in another folder though. But trying to get this one in the folder above jumps you back to the home screen. So one per level seems to be the limit here.

10. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Thanks. It took a few tries, but I got it to work. Happy, especially since I just lost my jailbreak the other day. :mad:

Saves with a reboot too.

11. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Nice find. Reminds me of the iOS 5.1 (I think) Newsstand "bug" whereas Newsstand was able to be put in a folder using a similar 'hack.'