General iOS 7.1 is jailbrooken!

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Most likely isn't going to be released as I believe it utilizes the iBoot exploit ih8sn0w found

Asator

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2011
Australia
This thread is just going to confuse people and cause them to think that a jailbreak for 7.1 has been released. :rolleyes:

HenryLong

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
Germany
This thread is just going to confuse people and cause them to think that a jailbreak for 7.1 has been released. :rolleyes:
Well, keep those confused for a while. Will at least keep 'em from creating more 'Ups, my phone updated to 7.1 by itself, how can I jailbreak now' threads :D

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
The iBoot exploit is only exploitable if the device is already jailbroken. In summation, it's nearly useless.
No it is not.

This isn't iH8sn0w's A5 (yes, A5) iBoot exploit. It is a separate one using a few old tricks.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
The iBoot exploit is only exploitable if the device is already jailbroken. In summation, it's nearly useless.
There's been some controversy around it with ih8sn0w and musclenerd but not too sure about it yet. ih8sn0w hasn't tested it yet to see if it works on non-jailbroken device yet (not video evidence yet though)

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
There's been some controversy around it with ih8sn0w and musclenerd but not too sure about it yet. ih8sn0w hasn't tested it yet to see if it works on non-jailbroken device yet (not video evidence yet though)
Of course it works. iBoot exploits are loaded before a kernel even begins :rolleyes:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Of course it works. iBoot exploits are loaded before a kernel even begins :rolleyes:
It won't work in this case. This iBoot exploit is only triggerable by kernel commands. And to get kernel commands to be exploited or run, you either have to be Apple or have the device jailbroken. Apple could even patch this with a new iBoot in an IPSW update. Remember, iBoot is not bootrom. Even though the bootrom is often mistakenly called such. go obit has the right idea at this particular scenario.

Dwalls90

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2009
The untethered component seems to be most often the harder aspect of a jailbreak to discover, so this is needed regarldess of a bootrom exploit being available on the iPhone 4/A4.

That said, this could also bode well for all devices on an iOS 7.1 jailbreak, depending on if the developer releases it despite going to work for Apple ...

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
The untethered component seems to be most often the harder aspect of a jailbreak to discover, so this is needed regarldess of a bootrom exploit being available on the iPhone 4/A4.

That said, this could also bode well for all devices on an iOS 7.1 jailbreak, depending on if the developer releases it despite going to work for Apple ...
The untether always seemed like the easier aspect, when the iPhone 3GS came out there was a jailbreak literally like a day or so later because the 24k pwn bootrom exploit was there. Same when the limera1n bootrom exploit came out for the 4 and lower.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Not to be captain obvious but I would think the idea is to get into 7.1 (even on a iPhone 4) so you can poke around and look for exploits in iOS. At least I hope thats the idea.

Dwalls90

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2009
The untether always seemed like the easier aspect, when the iPhone 3GS came out there was a jailbreak literally like a day or so later because the 24k pwn bootrom exploit was there. Same when the limera1n bootrom exploit came out for the 4 and lower.
Limera1n is the bootrom exploit, not the untether, which is why the 4 always has a tethered jailbreak (and potentially untethered it appears).

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Limera1n is the bootrom exploit, not the untether, which is why the 4 always has a tethered jailbreak (and potentially untethered it appears).
Yes that what i said, there was a bootrom exploit readily available and a jailbreak that only needed an untether came out fast, implying the untether isn't really a big deal.