iOS 7.1 on iPad 3

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Italianblend, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I am an iOS 6 holdout on my iPad 3. It's been fine and I would keep it if I could. Recently I noticed a lot of apps requiring iOS 7. I am scared to make the jump. Can someone tell me how performance is on iPad 3?

Thanks

2. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I have 2 iPad 3rd gen.

One in iOS 6 and the other on iOS 7.

Stick with iOS 6. It's optimized for iPad 3 and smoothest all around.

3. lovewd macrumors 6502

lovewd

Id say go for it. My iPad 3 runs just fine on iOS 7. Plus I JB it to get the blur effect

4. campyguy macrumors 68040

I have an iPad Air and iPad 3, both VZW LTE and both running 7.1.2. Regarding the iPad 3, I installed iOS 7 right away but wasn't happy with it until 7.1 came out. I'm satisfied with iOS 7.1.2 on my iPad 3. There's only one app on the iPad 3 that sucks for me, but it's just a time-waster game - and I really don't know if it would have worked on iOS 6, and FWIW that same game makes my Air REALLY warm. I keep the iPad 3 as its much better than the Air with the styluses I use, I have a few accessories that are really handy, and it's built like a tank.

There's a "but" to this from me, though. I'm a small dev and will have access to the iOS 8 GM when it comes out, and will install it on my iPad 3 - I haven't installed any of the iOS 8 betas on it yet. My "but" to you is, with iOS 8 coming out soon I'd hold out until it comes out - Apple will likely stop digitally signing iOS 7 shortly after iOS 8 comes out for capable devices, so, if you're happy with iOS 6 on it, I would leave it that way until more feedback comes out on iOS 8 installed on the iPad 3. I did install B5 on one of my iPhone 5 handsets, and it worked really well, but I've restored it to 7.1.2 in anticipation of the iOS 8 GM being made available soon.

Short answer: I wasn't happy with 7.0 on the iPad 3, but it's a non-issue now. I'm glad that I installed 7.1 on my iPad 3 and wouldn't go back to iOS 6, even if I could. ;)

5. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Thaks for the response - What did you mean by this? Are you saying apple will no longer be improving iOS 7?

I think once 8 comes out I can't even get 7, right?

6. campyguy macrumors 68040

Apple will make the latest firmware available for each device. So, I'm offering that IMO if they announce support for a device with an OS, you'll be able to get the latest FW - but not older firmware for that device. Just like you can't DL iOS 6 for your iPad 3 right now.

After I wrote my previous post it got me thinking, to check iOS 8B5 on my iPad 3 while Apple is still digitally signing (approving) 7.1.2 for our iPads. I did not set it up as a new device, but restored it from a backup and tried several apps. It didn't suck, much to my surprise. Maps, Mail, Google Maps, Safari, Google Hangouts, Netflix - they were smoother and faster than on 7.1.2. No crashes or reboots at all! :)

I've read that Apple has provided at least two newer iOS 8 builds to carriers - B6 and 8.0.1 - so I'm encouraged that my iPad 3 has a bit more life to it. I have DLed a copy of 7.1.2 from Apple's servers via my developer account, just to be on the safe side but I'm thinking that iOS 8 will get installed on my iPad 3 after all.

AFAIK, once iOS 8 comes out you won't be able to DL a copy of 7.1.2, but there are several trustworthy websites that mirror older iOS firmwares.

7. campyguy macrumors 68040

I installed B5 on my iPad 3 last night and checked it out, restoring it from the latest iOS 7 backup (rather than a clean install), and I'll be installing iOS 8 on my iPad 3. Mail is great, Safari is fantastic - smooth, fast, easy to use, and every app I need runs well on it. Siri is actually usable - even on a dodgy LTE connection, and wifi makes Siri very responsive. After iOS 8 comes out, I won't miss iOS 6 at all.

8. impaler macrumors 6502

7.1.2 runs just fine on my iPad 3rd generation.

9. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I get so many different opinions on this. I think I'll just stick with 6 and maybe if iOS 8 reports are good ill move.