Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d-emolat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2014
Hey guys, I've got an iPod Touch these days and been updating to iOS 7.1

Now the control center seems laggy, battery is dying fast (4 - 5 hours of listening to music with display off most of the time), it heats up on the top of the back,...

But in standby, when I'm not even touching it, it runs on 100% of battery about 24 hours.

Yesterday I tried a clean reinstall 2 times and still the same problem :/
Is iOS 7.1 using so much RAM on the iPod? It seems like running out of storage everytime.
Did a clean install yesterday and 'other' is taking up about 3gig again
And RAM usage when coming from standby is ~200mb free?!

Is it normal for an iPod Touch?

I've never had one before and I didn't use it on iOS 6 so I don't know, well.. I'm a newbie on iPod Touch. :D

bpranav99

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2014
An easy fix for the lagginess is:

1. Go to the settings app
2. Tap general
3. Tap accessibility
4. Tap increase contrast
5. Turn on 'Reduce Transparency'

What this does is it reduces the transparence and blur effects from iOS. This might look slightly bad but your iPod will run like when it was new.

Cheers!!
Posted from my iPod touch 5G

----------

Also, the bar in which 'other' shows is your storage bar. It shows how many GB of storage you have left. This won't increase unless you add new apps, take new photos or videos, etc. this in completely independent of your RAM.

A tip I found for improving battery life is if you have done an OTA (over the air) update to iOS 7.1, then restore it via iTunes. Another thing you could do is reduce the brightness to about a third. It takes some getting used to, but it isn't so bad. Also, you can turn off push mail service as it drains a lot of battery.

Hope this helps...
Cheers!!
Posted from my iPod touch 5G

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
My iPod touch 5G was updated via iTunes. It's been mostly on standby for over 3 days and I still have a fairly full battery.

First thing you could try is to power it off and then power it back on. This has worked for some updates previously for me.

Check for what apps are updating in the background. Maybe there are some that are updating frequently.

Other than that, as was suggested if you did an OTA update, try restoring it via iTunes.

d-emolat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2014
iOS 7.1 on iPod touch 5G

I tried your tips, but ..
My iPod is still running out of memory when simply listening to music...
And it still drains battery, I start playing music and it begins to warm up, then after 20 minutes 5% of battery are gone. And after 50 minutes listening to music I've got 85% left. :/
I get 4 hours and a half of playing music even with display off most of the time.

But in standby mode, I get one day without draining battery 1%.
So standby mode isn't my problem....

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
I am having great results, and I OTA updated from iOS 7.1 beta 5, I am surprised Apple allowed the iOS 7.1 public release to be installed over the prior build.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I am having great results, and I OTA updated from iOS 7.1 beta 5, I am surprised Apple allowed the iOS 7.1 public release to be installed over the prior build.

It is because OTA updates are essentially delta updates. This means they only change whatever they need to from the version before hand. If you were going from 6.1.5 to 7.0 for instance it would download the whole OS.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
It is because OTA updates are essentially delta updates. This means they only change whatever they need to from the version before hand. If you were going from 6.1.5 to 7.0 for instance it would download the whole OS.

No, this is the first beta release to do this. It downloaded the whole 1.2GB 7.1 and installed it over beta 5. No other beta had this functionality. 7.0 wasn't able to OTA to public 7.0. etc etc.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
No, this is the first beta release to do this. It downloaded the whole 1.2GB 7.1 and installed it over beta 5. No other beta had this functionality. 7.0 wasn't able to OTA to public 7.0. etc etc.

Really? Did not know that. I know that beta 6.1.2 could go to final 6.1.2 as that is what I did. I assumed it was the same throughout.

pagemaster

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2013
My ipod 5th gen touch works good with 7.1 I got 11+ hours with 4 days standby with mostly listening to my podcasts and streaming tune in radio to a bluetooth speaker

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2014
Just bought an older black ipod touch, first thing it wanted to do was upgrade to ios 7.1. No problems at all.

$M.H$

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2014
Try to hold the power and the home button untile you see the apple logo (the device will restart)
I tried it on iOS 7.0.4 and it worked :)

*Sorry for my English , I am learning :)

d-emolat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2014
tried everything and nothing worked, I gave up on that iPod..
I'm gonna try a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.