iOS 7.1 parallax zoom

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by jonnyb098, Mar 16, 2014.

1. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

jonnyb098

I've notice that on 7.1 setting a custom wallpaper on iPad when in landscape mode SEVERELY zooms in on the wallpaper. You can pan all over the place. Setting in portrait is better but still zooms off center.

I encourage other to try this. For some reason anything that's supposed to be dead center is off to the right and you can pan way over to the right but not to the left.

I'm using properly sized wallpapers at 2524x2524. I've tried other sizes as well with the same result. Also the built in wallpapers seem to be fine. This was not an issue during the betas. Wonder why it's messed up now.

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I see this too and it's pretty annoying. There is an app that let's you take photos you have and resize or recrop them so they do work better as wallpapers. It's an OK solution but this problem drives me mad. I don't get it? Why can't they just place the photo where I've asked them too and leave it? :mad:

3. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

Every wallpaper, no matter what the settings are, will zoom in.

4. GreyOS macrumors 68040

GreyOS

Try something that's the same aspect ratio as your device

5. kaielement macrumors 65816

That doesn't solve the issue. For what ever reason any pic no matter the resolution will zoom in. I noticed this when ios 7 cam out back in September. Was hoping 7.1 would fix this. But now it seems 7.1 also not only zoomszin but some reason moves the pic to the right as well.

6. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

I've noticed this issue as well but it's even worse than you describe. In addition to zooming in on the wallpaper and putting it off center, the iPad now just stretches the image when you rotate from portrait to landscape rather than showing you more pixels. Here's what I mean: load up a default wallpaper like the green aurora wallpaper. Start your iPad in portrait and focus on the blue vertical streak on the left. When you rotate your iPad into landscape, you can see more of the wallpaper to the left of this streak. You can see less of the image on the top and bottom (since the vertical dimension is narrower in landscape), but the whole image has not been stretched at all. That is why iPads have always used a square wallpaper: to allow for the device to be rotated into landscape without stretching the wallpaper terribly.

In the past, you would get stretching if you chose a wallpaper that was the aspect ratio of the iPad screen (ie 1536x2048) because there were no more pixels for the iPad to draw from when rotated into landscape. It had no choice but to stretch the image to make it fit the whole screen. In 7.1, I get stretching on every image I use, even square ones. We know that the default iOS 7 wallpapers are 2524x2524, and this size should leave more than enough pixels for both portrait and landscape. But instead the iPad simply refuses to use them. No matter how I center the image, it still stretches it when I rotate it to landscape rather than drawing on the extra pixels.

It is frustrating because I am now forced to either never change the wallpaper I was using from 7.0.6 (which still works right) or only use Apple's default wallpapers until they fix this bug. Given their track record on bug fixes lately, I'm not holding my breath this will be fixed any time soon.

7. jonnyb098 thread starter macrumors 68020

jonnyb098

Yes thank you for noticing this. I think other are confused on the issue. We are well aware iOS 7 is designed to zoom wallpaper for the parallax effects. It's just zooming waaaaaay in and off center on custom wallpapers that I know for a fact are correct ratios. I make a lot of wallpapers and have never had this issue till 7.1

8. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

I have multiple photos I took with my phone pre iOS 7 that still zoom in when trying to set them as a wallpaper.

9. GreyOS, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014

GreyOS macrumors 68040

GreyOS

Photos you take with your phone are not the same aspect ratio as your phone screen :)

For reference:
    iPhone & iPad camera aspect ratio: 4:3

iPhone up to 4S aspect ratio: 3:2
    iPhone 5 onward aspect ratio: 16:9
    iPad aspect ratio: 4:3

OP's issue sounds like a separate issue but just leaving that there for reference

10. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

It doesn't change the fact that it's incredibly stupid that photos you take that fill the screen still cannot be set as a wallpaper without zooming in even more.

11. CutterSlade, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014

CutterSlade macrumors regular

CutterSlade

It seems like they never heard of a term called "aspect fill".

As for the OP's problem, I'm annoyed by that too. I don't see the point of zooming in a picture that already occupies the entire screen. I guess they did that in order to make the zoom-in animation in the background possible when you turn the screen on when in home screen. How retarded...

One doesn't even see that animation properly because half of it gets completed before the screen lights up.

12. jonnyb098 thread starter macrumors 68020

jonnyb098

I think many are still confused about what I'm talking about here. I understand. There has to be zoom to have the parallax effect. Proper resolution for iPad parallax WAS 2524x2524. This means nothing anymore because of this new bug.

This issue is that in 7.1 the amount that the wallpaper zooms in on the ipad is much more than it used to be in 7.0 along with making the image off center even when you know something is supposed to be centered. It's an obvious bug. I'm not annoyed with the zooming, just the obnoxious amount that it's now zooming in 7.1 on an ipad. The only slight remedy is to set custom wallpaper in portrait mode then move it to the right a little to get it back on center.

13. GreyOS macrumors 68040

GreyOS

i know this is obvious but as you haven't explicitly mentioned it, did you know you can pinch to zoom out? otherwise i assume you're saying you can't zoom out as far as before :)

i don't actually have an ipad so i'll bow out, hope this issue gets sorted mate

14. jonnyb098 thread starter macrumors 68020

jonnyb098

Yes I know you can pinch out but this is not an intuitive option for most people. In the betas the wallpaper actually zoomed in and out and worked as logically intended when toggling "perspective zoom" on and off. I find it a mystery why Apple introduces these little things and cant get them to even function right.

15. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Pinch out Pinch in, does not matter. The pic is never centered and always cuts off. I too have tried various sizes and even bought an app that's supposed to help but I still end up with poor results. For now I seem to be stuck using Apples wallpapers. I hope they fix this soon.

16. photoj2754 macrumors 6502

photoj2754

This problem is a big pain. Only way around it was to shell out 99¢ for the Wallax app. It lets you pick a photo and pinch it down to the size or shape or need for wallpaper then saves it in the Wallax folder it creates. You have to do this for ANY photo you want to use. Doesn't work very well with pics that are extreme crops either high or wide (you have to crop too much of the image to make it fit) but most centered pics pinch down nicely and work. The app has a variety of tools (blurring etc.) that should help you make a photo fit if you really want to use it. Hope Apple corrects this in the future.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Looks like there's a free version of that app as well now: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18909605#post18909605

18. jonnyb098 thread starter macrumors 68020

jonnyb098

We shouldn't have to get a stupid app to remedy this. It worked perfectly fine in all the betas. So I'm hoping it can be fixed soon. But then again it took them 6 months to fix a show stopping bug like random reboots. So maybe it'll be fixed by iOS 8. Sad but possible.

19. Outdoorsben macrumors member

For many people this has been ongoing since iOS7 was released.

20. jonnyb098 thread starter macrumors 68020

jonnyb098

The issue and purpose of this thread is to talk about how its gotten worse and is not working as originally designed. Please read the thread.

21. Outdoorsben macrumors member

My comment still stands. It has been the same since 7.0, just seems 7.1 brought this problem up for new people.