iOS 7.1 safari definitely less snappier vs beta5!!

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Anti-Lucifer, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Anti-Lucifer macrumors 6502a

No joke fellas, safari in iOS 7.1 final release is slower than safari in iOS 7.1b5!!

Go to theverge site an or any other previous site I browsed and noticed its slower for some odd reason. So I did some tests with sunspider...

Sunspider 1.0.2 results for iOS 7.1b5 would never be lower than 385ms or less than 400ms consistently but iOS 7.1 final is always 450ms and sometimes worse!

I may just reset all and start over from scratch. This is a step backwards WTF apple you are dropping the ball these days with software performance fixes!!

2. bobright macrumors 601

How about tabs reloading with not very many open, is that a bit better?

3. nikusak macrumors member

It seems to be somewhat better now, unless I am imagining things. Knock on wood...

It can of course still happen especially if you jump into another app(s) and come back, but that is to be expected (you can do only so much with one gigabyte) and that does not bother me that much, when compared to reloading all the time with couple of tabs even if you don't exit Safari..

Still, I think that Apple's decision to put only one gigabyte into this generation was a mistake, but surely their bottom line looks nicer now...

4. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

So far everything is running much better on my rMini using 7.1. Faster, smoother, and more stable. Fingers crossed it holds up. :)

5. nikusak, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014

nikusak macrumors member

I am pretty sure that a ~10% or so difference in what is a purely synthetic JavaScript benchmark is not noticeable at all when browsing websites. On sites like The Verge there is not that much scripting and what there is, well, execution takes perhaps few dozen milliseconds maximum on page load and not much after that. So a difference like this is meaningless.

If they have sacrificed a bit of performance to decrease the memory consumption of the JavaScript engine in Safari, then that is just great. I will certainly choose a negligible decrease in pure JavaScript performance over crazy tab reloading anytime.

Edit: Having said the above, it is of course possible that the HTML "renderer" is slower now in 7.1. I am not noticing anything weird though and in order to actually notice it, it would have to be a lot slower, which I am not buying.

6. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

From OP's posting history, I conclude this a troll thread.

7. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Damn you Apple. That's about 65 milliseconds of my life gone forever. Thanks a lot

8. Anti-Lucifer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok did a complete erase and set up as new iPad. Sun spider numbers never drop lower than 390ms!!

Before erase it would be as high as 480ms and consistently around 450ms. Performance on usual sites did feel slower.

Reloading of tabs seem to not happen. But then again u can't make magic happen from 1GB ram.

9. Anti-Lucifer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great spoke way too soon....

1GB isn't enough it's just pathetic now in iOS 7.1. Have a few tabs opened and didn't see a reload of the pages. But then all of a sudden two of the tabs reloaded when switched to and then entire safari app crashed. Checked logs and low_memory crash, safari.

Sigh, can't wait for iPad Air 2 with at least 2GB ram. In iOS 7.1b5, it took me a few days to witness safari crashing. Now it's less than a couple hours

10. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

7.1 is better on both of my iPads. Much better.

11. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Looks good to me so far after I cleared history and cache with Safari. That was my biggest issue. I check other things later down the road as I will just use the Air normally for things I want to do and not look to crash Safari or try making tabs reload by opening up more than the few I usually do.

On that note since 7.1 has now been released, if things aren't working satisfactorily for folks then I say bring it to Apple. That is what I'll do. Sharing experiences I appreciate folks bringing things to my attention but ultimately that isn't going to fix their device unless it is user error where we can try to offer some help.

12. Rodster macrumors 68040

13. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Yep I cleared my cache and history after it rebooted on the update.

Looks like some are not noticing a big difference like others. I have spent to morning on my Air with 7.1 and I like what it did to both my Air and my 5S.