iOS 7.1 update on new iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Andiroo88, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Andiroo88 macrumors newbie

So I have replaced an iPhone 5 this week which I lost with another iPhone 5, however the old one updated to iOS 7.1 and backed up to iCloud. When I turned on the new iPhone 5 it said I cant restore to any restore points as iOS 7.1 is needed and is currently running 7.0.4. I have tried to start the phone totally new, get the new iOS and then restore it but iTunes doesn't seem to want to do it that way either... I don't have the old back up saved to a computer only iCloud, can anyone help or should I just go into apple?

Thanks.

2. squirrelist, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014

squirrelist macrumors regular

squirrelist

The method you described should work. I just did it myself. In detail:

• Set the phone up as new in the setup wizard. Skip the iCloud login. Just get through as fast as you can to the icons, skipping any prompts except for connecting to WiFi.
    • Upgrade the OS. Go to Settings > General > Software Update. You may need to reconnect to WiFi or plug into power in order to do this. Let it finish the update and reboot your phone. Will probably take 20 minutes or longer.
    • Erase your phone. First go to Settings > General > Software Update to make sure that the update took and that you are in fact on 7.1. Then Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap "Erase All Content & Settings". Let the phone reboot and erase. You should then be back at the setup wizard again.
    • Now you should be able to restore from your iCloud backup.

3. Andiroo88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you sooooooo much! This has worked perfectly thank you!