iOS 7.1b2 rMini Screen Interlace/Flicker

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by MrGimper, Dec 21, 2013.

1. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I've had my rMini since Dec 3rd. After going thru several, the screen on this one was perfect. I've experienced screen interlace/flicker on my Gen 1 mini back last year when I bought it, and an iPhone 4. This rMini deffo didn't have it.

So, as I said the rMini screen was perfect. However after installing 7.1b2 I've noticed interlacing in part of the screen. Noticed it most in the bottom left of the dock when in landscape with home button on right.

I've restored back to factory, and DFU restored to 7.0.4 as a new device, but the interlacing is still there.

Any ideas?

2. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

If you have already done DFU and tried setting as new, then its the screen hardware ... most flickering/interlacing I have seen are on models which have Whiter Whites ... and the ones slightly warm display seem to hold on the quality the best ... different manufacturers I believe ... Samsung/Sharp/JDI/etc...

3. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

I guarantee you that software didn't cause the "interlacing" issue. Chances are it was already there in the first place. Though the display appears to be interlaced, the exact name for the issue is "pixel-walk", and it's most certainly a hardware issue related to the voltages in the display.

Strangely enough, iOS 7 made it harder to identify displays with this issue. My iPhone 5 has a display with pixel-walk, and it was noticeable almost everywhere in iOS 6. I say almost, because the issue was invisible on white screens. Therefore, the issue is much less noticeable for me in many parts of iOS 7. The color blue really brings the issue out.

Here's an interesting page that you can use to test for the issue:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php

My MacBook Pro flickers on 1 and 3, and it has never exhibited pixel-walk anywhere else.

4. MrGimper thread starter macrumors 601

MrGimper

Cheers. I'm not convinced it was there before. Having had several rMinis and Airs with display issues, I went over this device thoroughly when I received it. I'd have noticed it I'm sure.

Very noticeable on blue, for example the Facebook icon.

Oh well, back to the display lottery again as this has started giving me headaches.

5. MrGimper, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013

MrGimper thread starter macrumors 601

MrGimper

Bought a replacement from my local Apple Store, updated it to 7.1b2 and no flicker.

Will ship the other flickery one back to the online store by 7th Jan.