iOS 7.1's so called Safari fix

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by GoPro, Apr 12, 2014.

1. GoPro macrumors member

Safari has crashed at least 5 times already and I've only used the ipad for 1 hour today. It's getting worse week by week since the update. They havent fixed the issue at all with the release of iOS 7.1.

The F is going on!? Sort your sh.it out apple!

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Have you tried a fresh install?

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I have not had one Safari crash since updating my iPad to 7.1. Before I would get at least 4 a day. I updated the day it was released.

4. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I've had loads.

5. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Same. 7.1 completely eliminated Safari crash for me.

6. GoPro thread starter macrumors member

Really? I find this hard to believe. It has happened a lot recently, as bad as pre 7.1. Do you guys run one tab at a time?

7. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I have anywhere from 3-12 tabs open at a time. Probably spend 1-4 hours a day browsing on safari on my iPad.

8. $M.H$, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014

$M.H$ macrumors member

Try to close all muilt tasking apps
    And hold the home and lock button for 10 sec
    The device will restart
    :)

9. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Bunch of tabs open on iPhone and iPad both with 7.1, no crashes on either. Not sure what's up, OP, sorry.

10. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

I often max out the tabs in Safari (24 tabs). No crashes after updating to 7.1.

11. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I'm purposefully keeping my tabs to no more than six (like iOS6) in order to limit crashes, but they still happen. I probably have a couple of app crashes, one safari crash and three safari page reloads per day.

12. GoPro thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I'll give this a try

13. cynics macrumors G3

Hold both down until you see an Apple logo. This will bypass any swipe to unlock screens if done correctly. No stored data will be lost. That method of reset can fix some of the weirdest issues. I've had non responsive volume buttons and that fixed it, lol.

14. GoPro thread starter macrumors member

Yes, it seems to have fixed it somewhat. Safari doesn't close randomly as much as before but it's (the problem) still there.

15. $M.H$ macrumors member

Close all safari tabs and then go to
    Settings > safari > clear history & clear Cookies and Data
    after that turn off the iPad and then turn it on
    :)
    NOTE / WHEN YOU DO THIS BE SURE THAT SAFARI IS NOT RUNING IN THE MUILT TASKING APPS !!!

16. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

You're wrong. I've run some serious tests and comparisons with my test pages. Safari under 7.1 is much-much more stable on the iPhone and significantly more stable on the iPad. While it does crash now and then, it's definitely better than before, crash-wise.

On the other hand, tab reloading under 7.1 is almost as bad as under 7.0.x.

17. $M.H$ macrumors member

I tried to open nearly 20 tabs ,, no crash at all for me :D
    iPod touch 5
    {iOS 7.0.4}
    Jailbreakon

18. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Depends what the sites are and how often you use Safari etc. Merely opening tabs isn't the problem here. Something happens occasionally to cause a crash and it can't be demonstrated on cue.

19. EdgardasB macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

Try these:
    http://androidworld.nl/nieuws/3-manieren-om-google-chromecast-nederland-en-belgie-te-krijgen/
    http://nin.com

Yes nin.com is heavy website, however browser shouldn't crash.

nin.com crashing on my iPad mini always, with iPad air randomly.
    androidworld crashing also on my iPad mini, with iPad air crashed only first time.

Both tablets with latest iOS 7.1, fresh install.
    Also keep getting tab reloading on my iPad air with 2 tabs opened and no background apps running. Shame for such tablet.

Yes with iOS 7.1 you see less broswer crashing however it isn't fixed and tabs reloading also.

20. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

My iPad Air and iPhone 5s load nin.com just fine.

21. EdgardasB macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

22. err404, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014

err404 macrumors 68020

The most reliable fix that I have found for all sorts of quirky behavior is to "Reset All Settings". This will clear all caches and revert all system settings to stock. You will need to redo a few custom settings like background image and wifi passwords, but all if your apps and data will remain intact.
    That said WebKit may just be unstable on certain sites. Nothing you can do will fix that. A fix will need to come from either the site owner or Apple in future updates.
    Hopefully you have noticed a pattern of which sites cause trouble. The best thing you can do is to minimize your mobile trips to these site or be prepared for crashes. You can also submit a bug report to Apple and contact the site owner and to inform them of the issue. There may be a quick workaround that the site owner can implement to better support devices that command a large user base. (Any web developer should be painfully familiar with coding exceptions for browser incompatibility)

23. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I'm almost done with iPhones, seriously.
    I've had nothing but problems with my iPhone 5, and especially since iOS7. Poor 3G signal, poor battery, numerous Safari 'hangs', page reloads and crashes, loose buttons and infrequent updates which never address any of the problems I'm experiencing. I purchased this 32GB i5 SIM-free for big bucks less than a year ago and it has been my worst purchase for a long while. My previous iPhone 4 was a cracking phone and started my Apple love affair. The iPhone 5 has sadly ended it. No support from Apple regarding this, none at all.
    Oh and yes, I have been to an Apple store. Unless you can demonstrate the problems to them there and then, they don't seem to care.
    Of course Safari loaded a webpage fine and being in a city centre, the 3G signal was strong.

24. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

No crashes on my iPad Air since 7.1 came out.

25. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

They will indeed. Now, try loading the page on the Air with a Web browser that doesn't kill background tabs when the remaining RAM memory decreases under 100 Mbytes. iCab Mobile can be configured to not do that. They WILL crash.