iOS 7 5-finger pinch lag.

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by cammyg123, Nov 21, 2013.

1. cammyg123 macrumors regular

cammyg123

5-finger pinch in iOS 7 extremely leggy, it's all choppy and the dock changes colors.

Anyone else noticing this major lag?

Let me know.

2. RebornProphet Suspended

Fixed in 7.1 beta 1. Patience, it is coming.

3. cammyg123 thread starter macrumors regular

cammyg123

Thanks a lot dude :)

4. RebornProphet Suspended

No probs.

I'm using 7.1 on my iPad 4 now and it looks great. The animation is the same one as when the iPad is unlocked, the apps drop down into place and the dock slides up from the bottom of the screen.

If you dig around the 7.1 thread in the main section of the forum there is a Vine video of the new animation.

5. jonnyb098, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013

jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

While the smoothness is fixed in 7.1, its still poorly implemented. You now have to wait even longer before tapping or swiping. While choppy before at least the animation was done when YOU were done pinching.

Also pinching out from an app thats in a folder is really weird. Try tapping out of the folder after that.....you have to wait about 2 full seconds. I would be surprised if they even change it. They giveth and taketh away at the same time.

As it stands right now, even though its choppy, there is no waiting to do anything after pinching out.

I dont get whats so hard about making it similar to the way iOS 6 did it. Quick, smooth. DONE!

That unlock animation HAS to be sped up . They sped up all the other animations in 7.1 EXCEPT that. I get it Apple you can make icons fly in pretty. But as much as I love iOS 7, its getting really old now having to wait for it before I can do anything.

6. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

https://vine.co/v/ht9FvHOwBvQ

7. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

so they made animation longer to hide the lag...it seems extremely slow in this video

8. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

Yep, see my post above. Thats exactly what they did.

9. RebornProphet, Nov 21, 2013

RebornProphet Suspended

The animation used to start fine and then end with a snap, like the final frames all ran at once. It's now the exact animation seen when you slide to unlock and it doesn't occur until your fingers leave the screen and the open app has been "pinched" shut fully.

It looks slow in the video I mention because Zac was intentionally showing off how it occurs after letting go of the screen.

10. RebornProphet, Nov 21, 2013

RebornProphet Suspended

Like your friend above you are mistaken.

Zac was intentionally pinching slowly to show when the animation kicks in. The QUALITY of the animation is ten fold, it's identical to the one after sliding to unlock.

The one now on 7.0.4 doesn't end properly, like the final 40% of the frames are jammed together and displayed too soon. Not to mention that the dock changes colour (which has been fixed in 7.1 too).

As I said, I'm using it now ... I'm also uploading a video now of the gesture being used quicker than Zac did in his brief Vine clip. Nothing has been "slowed down" to hide anything, and it certainly doesn't lag. It finally shows the FULL animation unlike it does on 7.0.4.

11. RebornProphet Suspended

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3j7cA6XmbU&feature=youtu.be

It's crap quality, it was filmed quickly in my kitchen while making dinner, but you should get the idea. In 'the flesh' it's a vast improvement over the unfinished, colour changing dock animation the gesture displays on 7.0 to 7.0.4.

12. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

Re read my post. Im not mistaken one bit. While the new animation is smoother. Even in your own video it lasts a FULL 2 seconds whereas before , no matter how choppy it was the icons stopped much quicker. Yes ugly, but still quicker. Now the animation dooes not actually move with your gesture, its pre-canned. its not dynamic. So you have to wait for it to finish. Thats perfectly fine, but the new animation timing is waaaay too slow.

Run this test. Like I said, pinch to close an app in a folder then tap again to exit the folder. YOU CANT FOR A COUPLE OF SECONDS. That feels very unfinished.

13. RebornProphet Suspended

You said they slowed it down to hide lag, in which case you ARE mistaken.

As for the old animation versus this new one in terms of speed, I can't be bothered recording my wife's iPad 3 side by side with my iPad 4 and uploading it. Put it this way, I've tested 7.0.4 beside 7.1 and the difference is negligible, if even anything. It's the same as the old zoom vs fade argument, they're both the same speed, the perception of speed is all in the head.

Some people are never going to be happy. iOS 7.1 feels far faster, smoother, and finished than 7.0.4 and it's only in beta 1. And that's without mentioning how much improved performance on my 4s is on 7.1.

14. jonnyb098, Nov 21, 2013

jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

When trying to prove your point you can record a video yet you cant be bothered anymore? Hah. If I had 2 iPads I would.

Once again technically THEY DID slow it down by making it a pre-canned 2 second animation that doesn't trigger till you lift your fingers off. You cant argue facts. What Im stating is a fact. It looks smoother, but its slower.

And when pinching out of an app contained in a folder, you cant tap outside the folder to get back to the homescreen for a couple of seconds. Once again a side by side can show this.

However the animation timing has been improved when tapping to open a folder or app.

And yes with something as simple as this thats worked perfect for 3 years, its worth noting.

15. RebornProphet Suspended

Yes I genuinely cannot be bothered setting up two iPads to 'prove a point', as you put it. I recorded the first video to show the OP the new animations first and foremost, it merely coincided with your entry to the thread. Hold on and I'll go and ask my wife for her iPad for a couple of minutes so I can try and win an argument on the internet ... Mr Prophet would be sleeping on the couch tonight.

Again, you said they slowed it down to 'hide lag'. That's not what's been done. They've sorted out the abomination they somehow allowed out the door in the first place and removed the lag. Both animations are the exact same 'speed' (in terms of duration), it's just the way it's animated which has been sorted. 7.0.4 crams in the last (I would say) 30-40% of it's animation in the last second. That awful 'snap' is what gives a perception of it being 'quicker'.

If you perceive it as slower that's down to you, I personally don't find it any slower and the experience I enjoyed pre iOS 7 is back with a smoother animation.

You'd rather have a messy, half arsed animation because it's perceived to be quicker by your eyes?

You see all this obsession, and I use that term strongly, with pressing icons and exiting folders instantly, can people not remember how quickly iOS 6 allowed it? iOS 6 didn't allow you to cut short the animations to access icons or close folders either, you still had to allow the animation to run it's course.

16. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

WOW, thats excatly what iOS 6 did. The animations were faster, a fraction of a second therefore there was no need to cut into them. I just ran a test and the unlock animation takes almost exactly 2 full seconds before it registers a tap or swipe. iOS 6 took less than half that. Its all eye candy for the sake of eye candy.

So how exactly am I wrong for pinching to zoom out to a folder and I then press to exit that folder and it doesn't work? How is that some weird obsession? My app is closed I want to close the folder.....it doesn't register for a couple seconds on a static screen that is implying "TAP MEEE!". Yeah, I guess I'm a nut! If they don't fix this on public release then there will be many many many others that agree and start complaining.

17. RebornProphet Suspended

Again, iOS 6 did not allow you to cut short the animations by touching the screen during them. You still had to allow each animation to run it's course before you could interact with the screen. People have a strangely romantic view of iOS 6 ... it's a dogs dinner next to iOS 7.

Ironically, people moaned that iOS was stale and needed change. Change came, these same people moan at how well iOS 6 done things. Catch 22 at it's finest.