Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Same old misleading headline yet again. Looking at app store use does not equal adoption of iOS 7. Again.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
iOS is great and bad at the same time. It's great because my wife's iPhone 5 will get updated and that leaves me her upgrade. She does not care too much about new hardware. But it sucks because iOS stinks and I consider it a glorified app launcher for babies (sorry wife). I'm more tech geek and love the hardware choices and features of Android. And I get bored way to easily and don't care for Apple's refresh cycle.
So I'm 50/50. I pretty much know what iPhone 6 and 6s will bring to the table. There will be a few surprises but the experience will feel the same. But for Android anything is possible. That's were my wife's upgrade comes into play or maybe a device that I can buy outright.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
My math might be off, but I'm pretty sure that chart adds up to 101%...

Suppose the numbers are actually 1.6%, 8.6%, and 89.8%. Those all add up to exactly 100%, but when you round each of them to the nearest whole percentage you get 2%, 9%, and 90%, which adds up to 101%.

Edit: damnit, someone else beat me to it.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Who are those 9% people? Are they the ones that post "Steve Jobs would allow that..." In every thread?

I thought someone would post something like that... :rolleyes:

You see, not everyone has the latest hardware, so for some of us upgrading is impossible.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Nice try, my friend. Older handsets cannot run the apps smoothly to begin with. So, it's a longer suffering, not a longer enjoyable experience. In addition, the majority of Android developers rarely update their apps in the PlayStore. :rolleyes:
Is this post based on any sort of fact? I doubt it, but I'd be happy to see some proof for all this.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
snip...but I expected to get a little more life out of a tablet that was sold to me as a netbook replacement. Especially since the hardware still works as on the first day...
Consumer error.
Lack of research on the product on your part resulted in your disappointment.

PhamQu

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2013
FL, USA
simply put, people who still use a 3gs.
it may seem out of this world for people on this forum, but they really do exist!

I've had the iPhone 3GS from release 2009 until September of 2013. It was great, and the last several months, many people would ask me "what phone is that?" I still bring it out to use sometimes, without the SIM card. Still jailbroken, still downloads apps.

Probably some old iPads that are sitting in a shelf that still have battery life from last year.

The article notes that the survey was measured through the App Store, running a week ending on July 13th. So this chart is based entirely on devices that have been online and visited the App Store between July 6th - July 13th.
My own iPad 2 is on 6.1, while my brother's 1st gen iPad is on iOS 5, it's last supported version. We still use it daily. Email, youtube, safari, notes, and playing games. It's not "broken".

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
Since they forced us to upgrade to seven there is no doubt they will continue this policy and force us to eight by removing FaceTime again and probably iCloud will be next.
Here's the problem coming down the pike. I was forced to upgrade my hardware to support 10.6 after I updated to ios7 last year, when I'm forced to update to ios8 this year they will probably require 10.8 or greater which I can't run on my newer hardware and this will be my third hardware change in two years!

Then you are REALLY far behind. Like more than 5 years.

The only iOS hardware kicked off for iOS 7 was the iPod Touch 4th gen and iPhone 3GS. Potentially this year is the iPhone 4 because it doesn't have a minimum A5 processor.
As for Macs, my White Plastic MacBook from 2009 will make the cut to Yosemitie... That's a full SIX YEARS of latest hardware support

Apple is pretty generous. Other Computer MANUFACTURERS and device MANUFACTURERS do not release and support OS upgrades outside the original one year warranty period... Like a tiny number of them....

----------

You see, not everyone has the latest hardware, so for some of us upgrading is impossible.

iPhone 3GS and iPod touch 4 users.., I have a 3GS that is on iOS 6 and gets app updates every day. Many developers still support ios6. It's not all terrible out-to-get-you. Stuff. The phone is 4 years old and I bought it when it was already the discount model.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
iOS is great and bad at the same time. It's great because my wife's iPhone 5 will get updated and that leaves me her upgrade. She does not care too much about new hardware. But it sucks because iOS stinks and I consider it a glorified app launcher for babies (sorry wife). I'm more tech geek and love the hardware choices and features of Android. And I get bored way to easily and don't care for Apple's refresh cycle.
So I'm 50/50. I pretty much know what iPhone 6 and 6s will bring to the table. There will be a few surprises but the experience will feel the same. But for Android anything is possible. That's were my wife's upgrade comes into play or maybe a device that I can buy outright.

I think you've simplified the entire OS down a little too much.

I keep hearing people say that "I can do whatever I want on android". However, "whatever" doesn't mean they will rewrite the kernel or redesign androids with their own UI, or make another set of networking protocol. "Whatever" usually means customization and for most people, they only customize their phone when they first bought it and maybe a little more after that. They don't go and change the androids entire look everyday. Most of the time, they just open an app and use it and put it back in their pockets after they're done. So yeah, both androids and iOS can be simplified down to be app launchers for babies, but if you want hardcore, both iOS can be whatever you want, it's not just androids. In addition, androids still needs to be rooted to do anything hardcore. Once ios is jailbroken, there's no telling what it can do.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Yeah my previous system was a G5 8GB / OSX 10.5 / iTunes 10.6
Now I have a MacPro 1,1 8GB / OSX 10.6 / iTunes 11.3
I have a limited budget and I can still run my CS2 through Rosetta on 10.6.
A new system + software is way to pricey.
My next system will be another 4-6 year old system on the cheap with included software like CS3.
But I did notice I can run Windows XP or Vista on my MacPro pretty good if needed. Virtual PC was way too slow on my G5.

One of my favorite things to do is go boot up one of my 5-7 year old macs and re-discover how usable the thing still is. The usable life on these machines is so lengthy, it’s always a bit of a surprise when they finally stop supporting them, because it’s still working fine.

For my workflow, that is.

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
Who are those 9% people? Are they the ones that post "Steve Jobs would allow that..." In every thread?

Great post.

----------

Consumer error.

Well said and Good point. Users have to be smart also.

----------

----------

Impossible? I figure that priority has something to do with this.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
They are people who understand "flat" design means flat as in flat pop not 2D. It's boring and you sheep will realize it when the fad dies.

Two things. First, iOS 7 is so skeuomorphic they had to introduce a setting to turn off some of those features so people would stop getting sick. Second, sheep? Really?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area

My iPhone was a day one upgrade to iOS 7, but my ipad two will remain on iOS 6 until it dies. I don't like the design of iOS 7 at all, but on my iPhone, I was willing to put up with it for the functionality improvements. Since I just use my ipad for streaming video, reading books, and looking at photos - none of which got better in iOS 7 - I'll keep the design I like and the speed/stability of iOS 6.

Detektiv-Pinky

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Berlin, Germany
Consumer error.

Nope, when Steve sold me this iPad, there was no indication that I was to get exactly 1 iOS upgrade on this phenomenal device hat does everything so much better than a netbook:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBhYxj2SvRI

No amount of research on my side would have made this fact evident, because it is only hindsight that allows you to lay the blame on me :cool:, FANBOY

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.