Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bad03xtreme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
Northern, VA
I have one Apple and one aftermarket lightning cable. I have noticed with each OS7 beta the reliability of my aftermarket cable decreases. I have to plug it in a few times in order to get the phone to start charging. I noticed in beta 4 the option to dismiss the warning on the lock screen has been removed.

Is anyone else having charging issues with aftermarket cables in OS 7? :confused:

zmagik

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2013
Yea some people having this problem ios 7 trying to prevent people from using aftermarket cables in case something happens to the battery

loanhighknight

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2013
So are aftermarket cables going to become useless in the final release? :eek:

(First of all, "aftermarket" is not a single entity. The OP is referring to a single cable that OP is using in one beta with one phone. Your results will almost certainly vary.)

If Apple attempts to restrict the aftermarket cable market with software walls, cable makers will figure out ways around it. The cost incentive is just too high; OEM Apple cables are ~$15-20 depending on vendor while aftermarket cables are in the single digits, meaning they can afford to spend some time and money getting them to circumvent Apple's stonewalling. That's what happened to Lightning cables in the first place--remember how Lightning cables were found to have an authentication chip in them to make it impossible to use aftermarket cables in the first place? Well, here we are, still using [albeit more cleverly designed] aftermarket cables.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.