iOS 7 and Camera - Constantly Crashing

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by gavinstubbs09, Jul 6, 2013.

1. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I have Beta 2 on my iPhone 4 (probably bad from right there) and every time I try to take a picture the camera can see things, but I can't press the button to actually take the picture. WTH?

Any ideas?

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

there are tons of bugs, as its beta software. personally, the camera app worked fine for me. theres an ongoing bugs thread here...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1601305

and here.....

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1601670

in the mean time, try a hard reboot to see if it helps, as it usually does take care of fluke bugs. i dont know what else you want us to tell you or what you expected.

3. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Did a hard reboot, seems to be working for now! Thanks for the links, I'll be sure to read them!

4. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

The camera app constantly crashes for me on a 4S. It also causes other apps to crash which access the camera.

I'm really hoping next week's Beta 3 adds feature improvements but with the excellent stability of Beta 1.

5. gomoq13 macrumors 6502

gomoq13

Same here for my iPhone 4S. After a hard reset, they work, though.

6. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

iPhone 5, camera has yet to crash on me. Safari on the other hand...

7. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Often happens to my iPhone 5 too. (A fresh install - I've made a complete reinstall as the OTA update, from b1, resulted in major battery drain.)

Fortunately, a simple task kill (from the task manager) and restart always fixes the problem.

----------

A complete HR isn't needed. Just kill Camera - at least on the iPhone 5 it's sufficient.

8. K4LK macrumors 6502

K4LK

Same here. I found that accessing the camera app from the lock screen, selecting video, then start. The screen goes to sleep at exactly 31 seconds and the recording stops. If I record video from the home screen, no problem. Have submitted bug reports to Apple.

Dana

9. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

The same on my 4S. It crashes all the time. Sometimes it restarts the phone and other times it have to hard restart to get it back on.

10. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Funny enough, the camera is about the only thing that doesn't crash my phone. Main culprits being Settings and Safari. I do have problems opening the camera app from the lock screen. Seems like it needs a much more severe up gesture to get it to not just rubber band back.

11. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Restarting happened on my iPhone 5 (b2, completely clean, non-OTA install) too once. (I use it very frequently for quick snapshots and, above all, panos.)

----------

GREAT find, thanks! I've also run in the bug, because of which I just bumped the auto-lock time to Never so that video recording isn't shut down. Now I know I just need to start the Camera app from Springboard and not my favourite way (starting from the lock screen for speed).

12. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I think that almost every app has crashed at sometime for me. Its beta and thats going to happen.

13. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Yup - I haven't used the other apps so I can't report on their stability.

I generally only use my iPhone 5 (when not writing articles) for programming / testing and for camera, in which it's excellent. (Now that I've lost my JB (the battery died after eight months and the entire device was exchanged), I don't use it for phoning / internet access any more.)

14. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

That's the other thing with video, I'd be recording something (when it worked) then a minute later, the phone would go to sleep and the video stopped recording.

Beta 3, come out soon!

15. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

See above - start the Camera app from the Springboard, not from the lock screen.

16. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

I've tested: Beta3 isn't affected by the bug any more.