iOS 7 and car stereos

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by njgeek, Sep 10, 2013.

1. njgeek macrumors regular

I upgraded to iOS 7 Beta 6 for a test run and found that the USB connection to my car stereo (whatever comes in a 2012 Honda Civic) no longer worked. I reverted back to iOS 6 while I had the chance but soon they'll stop signing that one.

Any chance they've fixed USB playback bugs since Beta 6 or am I hosed?

2. JackieInCo macrumors 601

More than likely it will be up to the stereo manufacturer to provide a firmware update but it would be best if you just wait and buy a stereo that is compatible with iOS 7.0. Sometimes car manufacturers have firmware updates available to fix this though so keep checking with them.

It's not up to Apple to insure every car stereo in the world works after an iOS update.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

All of the iOS 7 betas have worked great in my 2012 Acura TSX. I'm not sure what kind of system the Civics have, but I can't imagine them being all that different since they're both Hondas.

4. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

I can't imagine a world were it's acceptable that Apple breaks things that worked and all of the sudden it isn't Apples fault. They they have an API then they need to support it, end of story.

You can not possibly believe that it is ok to buy new hardware every time an iOS update comes out because "it's not apples fault." Especially something like a car stereo, more than likely built in to the car.

5. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

It's hard to buy an aftermarket stereo for newer cars, because new cars have the stereo integrated into the rest of the car's systems. There is no separate "stereo" to replace.

In fact, I'm going to say that in about ten years, the days of aftermarket car stereos will be mostly over. It's a bit sad, but on the other hand aftermarket car stereos are so fugly and gaudy that it's not really that big a loss.

6. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Sounds like it is an issue with your car. I have a 2012 Toyota and it connects thru USB just fine on iOS 7. Bluetooth Media works as well.

7. mysticbluebmw macrumors regular

Hmmm, IOS 7 connects through USB just fine in my 13' Honda Accord. You'll likely be fine when you install the GM.

8. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

You need to check out Crutchfield and stop hanging out at Best Buy. Aftermarket stereos are WAY better in most cases than typical ones in the average car.

Issues come up with all the "integrated screen" stereos in some new cars, but they now have better replacements for most of those.

9. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Every aftermarket radio I've ever seen looks like it was designed by a teenager who was very high on something. Lots of tiny little buttons, multicolored lighting, hard to read displays, unintuitive controls...

I've never seen anything that looks even half as good as the stock system in my car. It's as if aftermarket stereo manufacturers want their product to stand out rather than look good, crying out "NOTICE ME! I am a CAR STEREO! WOOO!" This also doesn't help when it comes to keeping the unit in the car, as thieves notice them right away.

10. TheKrs1 macrumors 6502

I also have had no issues with this. Try a reboot/ reset settings / restore of your device.

11. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

Works fine for me. Then again I don't drive a honda...

----------

Agree. The stock radio looks far better than any aftermarket stereo. While I do have an aftermarket stereo it's not for looks but for functionality. (Bluetooth, USB etc)

12. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

It's not Apple's issue to go and test everything they do with every possible accessory etc. Including car stereos. They provide the information to the companies to test their gear, correct their firmware etc. If they haven't done it yet, it is not Apple's fault

13. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Exactly. Apple gets the blame for too many things.

14. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

I have a 2012 Honda Accord and it runs fine on mine. All of the betas have and so does the golden master.

----------

What does that have to do with this thread? There is zero indication that is the case here. The car stereo developers have to test to Apples devices not the other way around. It should be obvious why.

15. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

My 2012 Hyundai Elantra hasn't accepted the lightning poet period, even on iOS 6. :( I just get the connect charm over and over again. So depressing as I'm too cheap to justify $30 for a bulky adapter.

16. brayhite macrumors 6502a

fwiw i'm having issues too. when i first started using the beta, my sony stereo gave a "no music" error when connected via usb. it recognized the device, but refused to pick up any music even though it was playing.

then, suddenly, it started working. then, suddenly, it stopped. literally, worked fine on the way to the store and refused to work when i came out.

not sure if this can be blamed on the car stereo if not so much a consistently working iOS.

may not be related, but when it was working (before iOS as well), it ALWAYS by default began to play from the podcast app. i could plug the usb in while spotify was playing and it still reverted to playing the most recently played podcast from the app.

17. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

It also greatly depends on the car stereo manufacturer's BT implementation.

18. BrentD macrumors regular

I've got a 2012 Civic EX and USB and Bluetooth playback both work fine for me. Although, the Bluetooth playback still has a HORRIBLE lag between when you press a steering wheel control and when you actually hear the result.

I don't think anyone suggested the quality wasn't good on aftermarket stereos. It's the car integration that's the problem. You can buy a radio that would be a HUGE upgrade over a factory radio for around $100, but getting it to work with your steering wheel controls, to still have your turn signals and door chimes, to work with your OnStar or other service...all of those required adapters will cost you 3 times more than that stereo did. Then factor in installation cost, since it's fairly complicated to get all those adapters and the radio to play together correctly (I know, I've done it).

19. T4R06 macrumors 65816

i just dump my pandora subscription and shift to iTunes match. for the sake of the new iOS 7 radio. so much compatible with my ///M sport 2013 bmw. album art are displaying awesome!

20. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

So Apple is responsible for every lazy car company that doesn't update any of their electronics software/hardware?

All 2014 BMW, Mercedes and Volkswagen cars come with a 30 pin iPhone connector even though the lightning port was introduced in 2012. Apple's fault right?