iOS 7 and OS X Mavericks not going on the same way?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by digitalove, Jul 24, 2013.

1. digitalove macrumors regular

Since iOS 5 and OS X Lion we have seen Apple adopting a strategy: Render iOS and OS X as similar as possible: just check the rename of the app, features, the ideas to take from iOS and build the same stuff on OS X (think of the app that works via iCloud like Calendar, Messages, Notes).

With iOS 7 completely redesigned and OS X Mavericks still pretty much the same I see a change road between OS X and iOS.

What's your point on this?

I would prefer to have every system Apple going on the same way (I DONT MEAN THE SAME, because obviously iPhone is a device and Mac another)

I see that there has been an approach to "merge" the softwareand then again a moving away, and I find this incoherent.

2. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I don't mind at all that iOS looks different from OSX

3. digitalove thread starter macrumors regular

It's not about minding that iOS look similar to OS X.
    It's a critique to Apple because they started going in a way then suddenly dropped it.. does not make sense.

Start and keep that ideal or don't start it.

iOS 7 ≠ OS X Mavericks
    iOS 6 much more similar to OS X Mountain

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

[​IMG]

Unfortunately Mac sales are only accounting for 14% of Apple's revenue, 51% is iPhone sales and iPad being another 18% (not sure about iPod touch but over all iOS is about/more than 70%) . So it makes sense that Apple is willing to pull resources and do a redesign for the iOS devices vs OS X.

But I like that iOS and OS X look and act different and I believe it was Scott Forstall's idea to sort of merge the two together, but now that he's gone I think it will remain the way it is now and continue to look different.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I think that as Apple haven't nailed down the final look of 100% iOS 7, there's not much point in tweaking OS X along with it, especially as (according to rumor) they're stretched on developers.

I would expect 2014's version of OS X to be more inline with iOS 7/

6. aimee.elizabeth macrumors 6502

Yeah I expect Apple will bring OS X closer to iOS in terms of UI and design. I don't know, personally I think they just need to find the right way to integrate the two, because as of right now, there are people that think iOS 7 doesn't quite look right on larger devices such as the iPads, because there is too much space. The bold font change supposedly helps the OS to look less "light", but I think they need to find a different way to implement iOS 7 onto an even larger device like the macs.

7. digitalove thread starter macrumors regular

iOS 7 has completely different icons compared to Mavericks.
    We know iOS 7 GM should not change too much, so yeah, I guess I can easily it say now: 2 different ways (except for iCloud that keep the same closeness between the two)

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Maps is the same as iOS 7, but follows the OS X GUI standards.
    What I'm saying is, if Apple are going to tweak the iOS icons over the next couple of months, it's easier to wait until the next version of OSX when they're finalized.

9. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

I don't expect my desktop to act like a tablet or a phone. Or vice versa. I do expect them to all share data and allow me to do what I want to do (work, play) when, where, and how I want to. Having a different "look" doesn't hurt the desktop, nor does it hurt the smartphone.

I'll note though that there are some iOS 7 influences on Mavericks, but more in the sense of layering and translucency. The list of directions in the Maps app, the translucency used in notifications, and the like. But it also seems as if OS X has inspired some of the elements in iOS as well, such as the circular contact photos (OS X uses this for user accounts), and OS X with NSPopover does support white/black pop-ups that hover over the content.

I would expect on the desktop that we will see what we have seen in the past: taking some of the better ideas from iOS (or OS X) and bringing it to the other platform. I wouldn't be surprised if that translucent overlay that Maps displays on the Mavericks preview page gets used in more places going forward... possibly in place of pop-up windows like iWork uses.

10. nikicampos macrumors 6502a

What are you talking about, lately I have the feeling that for whatever reason people just want to trash Apple without even taking a look, in this case OS X, are you running Mavericks beta or at least seen some pictures??

Ok, OS X and iOS never had the same icons, so, if you mean they are going a different way just because of the icons, then my friend you have no idea what OS X and iOS are, it's more than icons, it's about features, design and integration.

Have you seen Mavericks?

- Calendar doesn't have that leather look, it's all white with some hints of red like iOS 7.
    - Contacts is also plain and white and without the book look.
    - Notes is plain and simple, just a clean sheet like iOS 7.
    - Safari Top Sites is cleaner and plainer.
    - Mission Control has a plain background without linen.
    - Lauch Pad has folders with frosted glass instead of the gray linen.
    - iBooks integration with a simple design.
    - Maps integration to Mavericks with an iOS feel.
    - Airdrop know works with an iOS device.

So yeah, apart from the icons, OS X and iOS seem more integrated than never before.

11. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

On the contrary, I think mavericks and ios7 work more alike than any other versions. Notifications, Keychain, iCloud, Maps (maybe even AirDrop eventually). I think Apple's intentions were not necessarily to make them look the same, but to make them work the same or similar. I think they're definitely getting that done.

12. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

I don't think that iOS and OSX will merge to become one. I think Tim Cook mentioned (in an interview just before WWDC) they saw the mistake Microsoft made and aren't trying to repeat it.

What I see them doing is making sure all services and products work seamlessly together. I see Newsstand coming over to OSX. I can see them enhancing document creation and sharing in icloud. Maybe merging the app stores so that apps bought on iOS can work on OSX?

13. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

OS X is beautiful as it is, I would completely abandon it if they tried to put an iOS7 spin on it.

14. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

I think we'll see the new iOS style come to OS X, but I don't know when, considering that a lot of iOS 7 takes advantage of the retina screens (thinner fonts, 1 pixel dividing lines, etc.), I think it'll be a long time before the style comes to the mac because retina screens are not the norm like they are for iOS devices.

15. nickharris1992 macrumors member

nickharris1992

As long as they function well together then I actually prefer them to look different.

16. HarryAinslie macrumors regular

HarryAinslie

I don't understand how you think they're drifting apart. If anything i would have said they were getting closer.

iBooks brings them closer together
    Maps brings them closer together
    App logos, brings them closer together
    iCloud upgrades brings them closer together

I don't see why you would think they're taking a new direction :confused:

17. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I tend to disagree with that one...

18. ThisIsNotMe macrumors 68000

If Apple had just kept the icon the same they could have avoided this and 99% of the criticism of iOS 7.