iOS 7 and PowerPC

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by philz4life, Jun 12, 2013.

1. philz4life macrumors member

It's been a year since Apple released iTunes 10.6.3, the last version that supported PPC. As far as I know, iOS 6 devices will still sync with this version if they have a 30 pin connector. So Apple still has allowed a tiny window of support for PowerPC and iOS, but what about iOS7? One of our household products is the 3rd gen iPad, the last with this connector, and it is able to sync with my iMac G5. Does anyone have iOS7 on a pre-lightning device? Can you try to see if it's possible to sync it on PPC?

2. Dhack21 macrumors newbie

I cannot sync my iPhone 4 with beta 1 with my mdd. Needs iTunes 11.

3. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Sorry to go off topic OP - but how is the performance on the 4 with the beta? I'm contemplating popping it on mine but have heard serious performance issues across the board but haven't heard anything at all from any iPhone 4 owners.

4. MrPilot, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013

MrPilot macrumors 6502

What about phoneview?

----------

Just make sure you have shsh blobs for ios 6 on your device ;) Then you can always downgrade.

5. MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

You are confusing your factual history.

Snow Leopard will not operate on your iMac G5; the latest OS X that will is Leopard 10.5.8.

Intel Macs running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 can continue to utilize Rosetta and hence run PowerPC software.

6. MrPilot, Jun 12, 2013

MrPilot macrumors 6502

Michael, I suggest you read his post again...

7. Dhack21 macrumors newbie

It's a beta, things are buggy as to be expected. I'll be reverting back to 6.1.3 more then likely.

8. MrPilot macrumors 6502

shsh blobs?

9. Dhack21, Jun 12, 2013

Dhack21 macrumors newbie

10. MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

Thank you: I confused his reference to iTunes 10.6.3 with Snow Leopard retail of 10.6.3...

11. MrPilot, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013

MrPilot macrumors 6502

haha I figured u did :p

----------

yes, but you really need to back up your ios6 shsh blobs once ios 7 hits final if you intend to downgrade in the future.

12. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

But it's in beta right now. Which means you don't.

13. philz4life thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, I haven't heard of that before, maybe I'll try it. Does it work with syncing music to the device though?

14. Dhack21 macrumors newbie

I'm not sure what phone view is. Also it doesn't show up in the left side to sync or anything. Just an error message saying iTunes 11 is needed comes up.

15. MrPilot macrumors 6502

Yes but it keeps doing auto updates. I have to shut wifi before running the app.

----------

yes, and everything else too... It can see the whole file structure of the device.

You can back up apps, photos, messages, jailbreak stuff, music, video etc in a two-way communication between the computer and ios.

And as far other syncs like contacts etc you have syncmate I think it's called.

That one will sync all kinds of stuff with ios and google cloud, etc

----------

Yes, we're on the same page :) btw, I dunno why I keep calling it blogs instead of blobs.. lol

16. storkinsj macrumors newbie

Unfortunately I must confirm.

I was running itunes 10.6.3 on OS X 10.5.8 on my mini and still had my iphone 4s syncing to it.

I bricked my 4s because I tried to do a restore when it was jailbroken. The fix brought it up to IOS 7.

<drum roll>

I am now madly migrating my poor mini over to the new mini I luckily have up and running. I'm using migration assistant.

I am PRAYING that the backup I took on the mini will migrate over successfully to the new mini and that itunes 11 (the one with the interface I can't stand!) will restore my treo's contacts, apps and data. We had limited success with another iphone that was already syncing to the new mini when we replaced an iphone 5 with the new 5c. Some of the apps didn't come over (waze) but most everything else made it.

Keeping fingers crossed.

I can see how some people are going to get nailed by this. They'll take the update live on the phone, go to sync to their mac and.....

Find they need a new computer. And there is no way to go backward on the iPhone with the IOS.