iOS 7 App Updates Free or Paid?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Gala, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Gala macrumors regular

With iOS 7 landing next week I figure we'll see a whole bunch of re-designs of our favorite apps. What I'm wondering is do you think the majority of these new designs will be in new paid versions (Omnifocus 2, Reeder 2) or will they be free updates like we've seen so many times in the past?

2. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

App updates are always free, unless they make a new app specifically for iOS 7 and charge you. But if you already paid for it I don't see why they would do that.

3. CaTOAGU macrumors 6502

Reeder 2 is already in the app store and is a PAID upgrade, it's a brand new universal app though. I don't know how many others will go that route, I expect it won't be an insignificant number, especially for apps that have been out for a while, IOS 7 represents an ideal opportunity to start afresh.

4. Gala thread starter macrumors regular

Am I reading that right, you'd expect a lot of apps to make a 2nd version similar to Reeder 2? I would think it'll nice for most developers considering they may have had 99 cent app that they've been updating for free for the past 4 years.

5. ominx macrumors 6502

It's actually against Apple's App Store policy for devs to charge for an update or upgrade of an existing app. If a developer feels the update is big enough and required substantial time and effort, the only way to charge for it would be for them to release a new app with a new version number.

6. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

I would expect developers to release brand new paid versions (if time and effort was needed to redesign/re-code for iOS 7). And I completely support this. Developers need to make a living too.

7. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

For some apps, I won't mind paying an additional fee to download a brand new iOS 7 app. The ONLY apps I would consider giving money to again, are the ones who constantly push out upgrades with new features and bug fixes. For all those other apps... Good luck.

8. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I tweeted earlier that I would not be willing to pay again for an app I've already paid for just to get an iOS 7 style UI and I got dogs abuse off some guys claiming to be developers. I was also accused of being "a pathetic loser who probably pirates apps". :rolleyes:

I will happily pay for enhanced features but I would grudge paying just for what is essentially a new skin.

9. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

The one thing people need to remember is they can continue using the iOS 6 compiled app even if the developer decides to come out with a new paid version.