Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calebwagner14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2013
I installed iOS 7 Beta 2 on my iPhone 4S a few weeks ago and am now trying to update to beta 4.

1) Do I first have to install beta 3 to get beta 4 or can I skip straight to 4?

2) At first, when I would go to "software update" in settings it would give me the error that checking for update had failed. Now it just says I have the current version of iOS 7 installed. My UDID is not registered. Would registering it allow me to do OTA updates? If it doesn't can I download beta 4 and install it through iTunes without getting the "you are not registered to use this software" error?

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I installed iOS 7 Beta 2 on my iPhone 4S a few weeks ago and am now trying to update to beta 4.

1) Do I first have to install beta 3 to get beta 4 or can I skip straight to 4?

2) At first, when I would go to "software update" in settings it would give me the error that checking for update had failed. Now it just says I have the current version of iOS 7 installed. My UDID is not registered. Would registering it allow me to do OTA updates? If it doesn't can I download beta 4 and install it through iTunes without getting the "you are not registered to use this software" error?

Try rebooting then check for updates again.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
You must be on beta 4 then. Go to Settings > General > About

What is the build number next to 7.0 for the "Version"?

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Sorry but you're out of luck. Once the next beta is pushed out, OTA downloads for the previous one are stopped and you can't just jump "levels'. I just tried it on my moms phone it wouldn't let me go to beta 4 or 5 so I had to download it manually.

Tl;dr, go get a computer and download it

calebwagner14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2013
Sorry but you're out of luck. Once the next beta is pushed out, OTA downloads for the previous one are stopped and you can't just jump "levels'. I just tried it on my moms phone it wouldn't let me go to beta 4 or 5 so I had to download it manually.

Tl;dr, go get a computer and download it

Thanks. What I ended up doing. Do you know if OTA updates will work now with the current beta installed?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks. What I ended up doing. Do you know if OTA updates will work now with the current beta installed?
No one can really know. They work for most most of the time, but for some some of the time they don't.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon

They should. They work on my verizon iPhone 5 but I keep up to date since I visit this forum regularly. My mom's works too but since she was behind it just stopped working, I'm sure it's a bug

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.