iOS 7 beta 4 for iPad

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Jakimo, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Jakimo macrumors 6502

Has anyone yet installed beta 4 for the iPad? Would you share your experiences?

How does it compare to beta 3?

2. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Not showing up for me. is it out yet? Or just iPhone?

3. Nanasaki macrumors 6502

Nanasaki

It is bit smoother than beta 3 for sure. Animations seem quicker as well. Keyboard still lags from time to time. It is still beta after all.

Overuse of white is still a problem for me. Everything just looks too white and hurt my eye.

[​IMG]

4. Decimotox macrumors 6502a

Got it for my iPad mini. Having a little less keyboard lag than previous betas and as a previous poster said, animations are a bit faster. I like the new improvements so far, overall.

5. batting1000 macrumors 604

How is overall performance?

6. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

beta 4 for my iPhone 5 showed up on the phone so I thought it would on my iPad 4 as well but it doesn't But I see it now on the developer portal.

7. naasrd macrumors 6502

naasrd

Showed up and installed no bother on my ipad 2. Running smooth so far.

8. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

The application switcher in landscape mode bug seems to be fixed.

It seems "snappier" overall on my iPad 3, but I can't really tell without living with it for a few days. But it seems as if folders open faster and the app switcher comes up faster--that was always laggy and often crashed.

9. gomoq13 macrumors 6502

gomoq13

Updated iPad 3, iPhone 4 and 4s to beta 3. I didn't have any issue with beta 3, except all 3 devices experiencing the home screen wallpaper turning all black when I close any app from multitask. Beta 4 has solved this issue. Regarding performance, I think there's a slight improvement on the overall smoothness on the iPad 3 and iPhone 4S. iPhone 4 still lags noticeably, which I guess would still be the case with the final release version as the device is really the last device in line to be able to have iOS 7 on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

10. Beachhead999 macrumors member

iPad 4 keyboard lag is still bad for me.

11. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

The five/four finger pinch gesture to return to the home screen results (still) in what can only be best described as a mash up of the iOS 6 and iOS 7 animations when returning to the home screen.

It looks awful, but hey ... it's a beta.

12. Decimotox macrumors 6502a

Definitely a lot faster, but we won't know overall for a few days. It seems the nagging issues are starting to be fixed, which is great. Still some lingering animation lag and overall performance lag, but everything seems smoother than the previous betas.

13. batting1000 macrumors 604

When I had it on my mini, I thought the pinch to go home gesture was a bit odd. Does it seem any different?

14. Decimotox macrumors 6502a

Nah, it's still buggy. Like, it'll go and then at the last second it shudders and jumps straight to the normal springboard. All of the gestures as far as I can tell are still buggy on the mini

15. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Yeah, same here on iPad 4. No change from Beta 3 on that particular animation.

16. Decimotox macrumors 6502a

That's a good thing to hear actually for us older (processor-wise) iPad owners. I'm glad it's not the processor or something causing that glitch. I'm sure it'll get fixed before the GM.

17. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Yeah, it's odd. The best way I can describe it is that when you pinch it begins to return to the home screen using the new iOS 7 animation then 3/4 of the way through it 'skips' and finishes the rest using the iOS 6 animation, resulting in a very disjointed look.

It'll be sorted by the GM no doubt, they've got more important bugs to worry about than a pinch animation no doubt!

18. Jakimo thread starter macrumors 6502

So besides these gesture animations, you dig? It's looking good as far as actual performance and app compatibility?

Seems so. I think I'll go ahead and install.. thanks.

19. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

AFAIK eBay for ipad is still no go on ios7 b4. Which means no ios7 for my ipad.

20. mdwsta4, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013

mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

clearing notifications from the home screen seems much faster than beta 3.

I find the '-' indicator of control/notification center odd compared to the '^' 'V'. Especially at the home screen as it blends in with the background more. Then when you're actually in either of them, it reverts back to the '^' 'V'.

Settings app feels much snappier now compared to B3. Animation seems smoother/faster. Same goes for multitasking and swiping between apps. Like others have said, multitasking still seems to be an afterthought compared to how it was implemented in iOS6.

I noticed parallax on the lock screen wallpaper. Don't recall that previously and I don't see an option to turn it off on just the lock screen (have the animated wallpaper on the home screen). iPad still crashes if you change wallpaper more than once.

Tabs open faster in Safari. There's also an iCloud button between bookmarks and new tabs. I don't recall this being there previously, but it very well may have and I just didn't notice. Wish you could remove that option as I never use it.

Don't recall this before, but in the clock app under world clock, it also lists the temperature and weather conditions (rain, sun, clouds, etc) on the map of the city. That's really cool. In the timer part of the clock app I also like how the numbers are slightly magnified when they're selected. It's subtle, but noticeable.

I thought I heard someone say that messages default to First name, Last initial, but mine are still showing full names and I'm not seeing an option to change this. I prefer first name and last name, but not the middle name and/or nickname. You should be able to define how you see that person's name.

Fonts appear normal size in apps such as Pulse, CNN, and ebay vs tiny like they were in Beta 3.

Syncing still doesn't work. Gets hung up at step 6 (applying changes). iTunes also shows my 32GB iPad has 18gb remaining although I'm using about 22gb, so that's off too.

Anyway, those are some quick observations after playing around with Beta 4 for about 10 minutes. My fingers are crossed battery life will improve!

21. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

It's almost like the icons zoom back into place in a random sequence - a bit like a star field animation.
    I think beta 4 is a good improvement, a lot more stable.

22. matias.o.r macrumors newbie

Earpods and Remote control

i updated to beta 4 and remote control of earpods is not working, only +/- for volume. somebody happen this?

note: i have an iPad 4th WiFi

23. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Oh, I agree that beta 4 is superb in terms of stability and I'm a huge fan of the quicker animations now, it's like someone has enabled FakeClockUp and turned the option from x1.0 to x1.2.

24. Jakimo thread starter macrumors 6502

Discovered a few things about Safari:

Cloud tabs was enabled only after turning off Safari sync and turning it back on.

Press and hold the Plus sign in the menubar, a list of recently closed tabs pops up.

I can't find a way to see the Coverflow style view of all tabs open, also scroll to move to full screen hasn't yet been implemented.

----------

When going to Bookmarks, the list for me isn't respecting the three buttons - so it's not possible to hit Favorites. Tried in both landscape and portrait mode.

Is this what everyone else is seeing?