iOS 7 beta 5 animation fps too high, skipping

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by cleo1, Aug 7, 2013.

1. cleo1 macrumors regular

I'm worried that Apple is taking certain feedback too seriously when really they should just trust their better instincts. Like, with the issue of app/folder/swipe transitions being 'too slow'. People were confusing the home button lag with slow animations which, themselves, were perfectly fine. But they listened and now the graphics settings are too much for even iPhone 5 hardware to handle. Perhaps this is their way of making us 'smoke the whole carton', so we know it's gross and when they dial it back in the next beta we'll be grateful.

2. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

I don't see any issue with animations. Can you elaborate a little more on what you're experiencing?

3. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

I see a few very slight stutters on the animations. It's better than beta 3 and 4, but still there.

If they can't iron them out, remove them. I hated the unsmooth transitions with Android. Looks cheap.

4. cleo1 thread starter macrumors regular

Specifically, an animation will freeze for a fraction of a second and then skip however many frames went undisplayed during the freeze, then re-sync to the appropriate frame (so the animation is paused but the time index isn't, like when video can't be displayed fast enough and it stops but the sound doesn't and when the video resumes the people look like demons for a few seconds. It's really cool).

This happens, notably, during:
    -Folder open/close
    -App open/close
    -Notification Center scroll up/down (especially when it is full of notifications)

----------

Yes. 'Android' is definitely the word. And I think beta 4 was actually better.

5. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

Having a closer look I now see what you're talking about. It's very slight, but it's there.

6. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

Jobs was a tyrant about smooth transitions. I hope they get this fixed before the gm.

7. leanh1991 macrumors newbie

I noticed stuttering issues too.
    Most apps are quite polished now but stutters are really annoying.
    Try to open a default app, press Home button to exit and return to this app from multitasking cards you will see it. I know this is a BETA but if the animations are not optimized it will be a real big disappointment :(

8. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

I'm pretty sure they will. Look at BETA 1 and BETA 5 - night and day! :eek:

So I have hopes this will be fixed.

9. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

I'm not seeing that. The animations are buttery smooth on my iPhone 5. And now, with beta 5, there's no response lag when I tap an icon either.