iOS 7 beta 5: no home screen parallax w/ dynamic

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by cleo1, Aug 12, 2013.

1. cleo1 macrumors regular

Parallax seems to be disabled with dynamic wallpapers now, which is probably good—although buttons and dialogs still hover. Good combo, I think.

2. cleo1 thread starter macrumors regular

iOS 7: Evolution of parallax re-orientation

Initial betas had no mechanism for re-zeroing icon bed when device inevitably lost track of which way was 'up', displaying extremely off-center home screens when viewed dead-on.

Beta 3 introduced a very disjointed, Android-like 'snap-back' feature. It re-zeroed if you left the device motionless but was jarring to look at.

Recent betas employ a 'creep-back' (pixel-by-pixel) re-zeroing feature. It is the most elegant solution thus far—almost makes parallax not suck.

To observe 'creep-back' in action, wildly flail your device every which-way, then hold it still and watch the icons creep.

Thoughts?

3. chekz0414 macrumors 6502a

chekz0414

It still works in Safari, and multitasking AND the Homescreen...Not sure what you meant OP...sounds like you may have a bug.

4. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Everything that eats the battery up should be turned off

That's all I have to say, such a useless feature

5. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

You start a lot of new threads.

/thought

6. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

I thought the Green Lantern destroyed Parallax?

7. cleo1 thread starter macrumors regular

Your point? I mostly hear crickets in these forums. Certain discussions need to be had and I'd much rather others initiate them but when it doesn't happen, it falls to me. Am I to be criticized for being observant and thorough? My contention is, users like you don't start enough threads, which could be viewed as lazy or even selfish. I seriously feel like the MR janitor sometimes.

8. cleo1 thread starter macrumors regular

My apologies. It started working normally after a restart, so as you said, it was a bug—sorry for jumping the gun.

9. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

I think it's interesting what you discovered and I like your observation. I did not load beta 1/2/3 on any parallax capable device so I couldn't see this but I noticed the effect on b4 as well:) well done.

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Agreed, we should turn off all the radios and LCD as well. Such battery hogs!

11. duddy macrumors newbie

12. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

I've wondered that myself. In real life it seems a lot more subtle. It's also more noticeable when tilting the phone up and down. When rotating left and right, I can hardly notice it at all.

13. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

my question is, if apple knew all along that the parallex effect was going to exist, why did they still render the wallpaper at 1160 x 960???? now its all pixelated..

14. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Wonder if this is something that's relatively low on the priority list and will be addressed at public rollout.

15. twintin macrumors 6502

Yeah or do not turn on the phone at all. :)

16. rasmuslp macrumors newbie

They changed this recently. I think it was in beta 4. Before beta 4, it was alot more alive; at least my square background picture was. Before at moved alot, also to the sides -- comparable to what was show in the Gizmodo link, imo -- now it's alot more sutble and only really noticable when moving the phone 'up/down'.

17. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

Why do you have an iPhone? You should have a blackberry or a non-smart cell phone w/texting keyboard.

18. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Why are you acting like a 10 year-old?

19. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

I currently have this pic in my phone: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap130801.html and while it does appear to move more up/down, it does also move side to side, more so than previous betas (iPhone 5 A1428 model). I am wondering if the shape of the pic makes a difference...perhaps the prototype sample was square or a wide pic as opposed to tall, but, mostly I think the prototype iPhone had all of the visual functions working well, but now they are integrating all of the function and new features (visual or otherwise), and it may take until GM for it to be fully polished. (The prototype could also have had a whole different processor in it, or may have been just an "air-play" of what was actually on a MacPro for the demo??)

(If you like that pic, click on it for the hi-res version of it.)

20. cleo1 thread starter macrumors regular

ATTN Moderator: while I applaud your effort to eliminate redundancy, consolidation of threads in this case was not the ideal choice, as a cursory scan would reveal that the two threads are completely unrelated (though the titles may bear a superficial resemblance). If you would actually read the threads, you would find that while one continues to be commented on even after several days, the other was basically euthanized when we determined it pertained to a bug and I apologized for my stupidity. If you're going to mess with the threads, please remove the bad one, not combine it with the good one. The worst part is the comments are intermixed now and all continuity is lost. It's like a mashup of Pulp Fuction and Memento. GJ, Quentin!

21. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

Agree. Bad decision by moderators. The creep back thread was interesting...