iOS 7 beta 5 Settings symbolism is wrong

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by cleo1, Aug 7, 2013.

1. cleo1 macrumors regular

The first page of Settings options are tools and tasks of the Settings app and should have glyphs, not icons. Rounded-square (or super-elliptical) icons imply there are apps associated with these functions. There are not. They had it right before and the glyphs were beautiful.

2. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

:confused: iOS 6 has rounded recs in the settings app.

3. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

I think that although they wanted to have clean 'blue icon' style to fit the iOS7 colour and pictograph schemes, they realised that once you skip past the apple settings, all your individual app settings are a wash of rainbow colours, so they might as well keep a consistency with what is a majority in the app.

4. cleo1 thread starter macrumors regular

Sure, there are plenty of logical inconsistencies in iOS 6. Ive was supposed to rectify them, remember?

To be fair, doubling down on the use of circles to mean 'telephony' is nice.

5. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I guess I don't think of them as inconsistencies. Where is it written that rounded recs are for apps only?

6. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I think the new implementation helps make it easier to tell the different items apart.

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I guess the day is not complete unless cleo1 complains about some imperfection or "immense flaw" within iOS 7.

8. Cougarcat macrumors 604

At least in iOS 6, they look like the notification buttons you slide to unlock. Same size and shape, I always thought that was a little weird.

I agree, but they could have achieved the same thing by altering the colors only.

9. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Looks more consistent with the app icons further down the settings page.

10. cleo1 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for reading. I remember when the pink QuickTime icon found its way into an OS X preview and I was horrified. People said I was complaining. It turns out Steve Jobs was very sick that week and when he saw it he was also horrified and had it changed from his hospital room.

Please read this anecdote, I'm sure everyone here will get a kick out of it:
    http://9to5mac.com/2011/08/25/icon-ambulance-googles-vic-gundotra-recalls-steve-jobs-the-perfectionist/

11. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Which people?

12. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

I agree with OP. Pre-Beta 5 Settings menu looked great and distinguished general settings from app settings very well. Now it is just a big mess like the iOS 6 settings menu. Settings needs tweaking, and the glyphs vs. icons was a great first step. It looked really good.

Now they just reverted it back to rounded rectangles for everything. It looks just like the amateur mockups now.

13. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

Gives me hope that maybe in beta 6 the stock icons will be changed to look like the amateur mockups. :)

On topic, this is one of those rare and glorious instances where I'm happy either way. I thought the original blue glyphs looked great, and I think the new rounded rectangles look great, too. I can see advantages to both styles. The blue glyphs clearly differentiated system settings from app settings, but the rounded rectangles are color-coded to group different types of system settings together.

14. Markyyy, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013

Markyyy macrumors regular

maybe they should have them like in beta 5, but colored the iOS7 blue hue.

Edit: Kind of like this:
    [​IMG]

15. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Not ideal at all.

The point of an icon is to give your eyes something to quickly scan and differentiate between instead of having to read. It's like this in any good design.

Red - Stop
    Green - Go
    Yellow - Go faster