iOS 7 beta 6: dual incoming call screens unresolved

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by cleo1, Aug 15, 2013.

1. cleo1 macrumors regular

Apparently, the alternating 'swipe to answer' and 'accept/decline' incoming call screens are still in effect. Did we ever determine what this was about to begin with?

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

This isn't a bug.

If you're using the device while the call comes in, you get one and if the device is locked, you get the other. I honestly forgot which happens when but I know that's what happens.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

As opposed to what? That's how it worked in previous iOS versions too (short of iOS 6 also having a slide option that offered some more items when the slider was present).

4. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

It's by design.

Locked = slide to answer

Unlocked = Accept/Reject

What's so difficult to understand?

5. mirzank macrumors regular

some people just need excuses to start a thread with their name on it.

6. cosmic68 macrumors 6502

cosmic68

Aloe vera for one-somebody just got burnt!

7. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

That's true but there are some, like me, who'd like the option to send a particular call to voicemail irrespective of the state of the phone at the time.

Apple isn't giving us this choice.

8. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

I really don't like the slide to answer. I would rather push to accept. The slide motion is strange if my phone is just laying on the desk.

9. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

push the power button once to mute the call
    push the power button twice to reject the call
    This is by design from iOS 1;)

10. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

Thank you, but I was aware of this. I prefer to have the option on screen for best convenience.

Additionally, like a number of others, the power button on my 4S is on the way to failing.

11. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

I agree that Apple should make it obvious and I don't know what is the reason that they haven't realised this problem after so many years. This is totally un-Apple.

12. glitch82 macrumors member

glitch82

That is true, however I must disagree about changing the slide to answer behavior. It prevents accidentally answering a call while the phone is in your pocket. I do agree that they need to not only include a screen option for rejecting a call while locked, but they should also clarify between both locked and unlocked answer / decline modes somehow. Either making the distinction more obvious, or perhaps more subtle.

13. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

I realise for some it has definitely been an issue but, having owned a 3G, 3GS and 4S, I have never once accidentally answered my phone in pocket.

Having said that, I have no problem whatsoever with keeping slide to answer to help those that do, providing they change the layout to have an on screen reject option too.

14. gtelware macrumors newbie

In my word we need an option for accepting and rejecting the call while the phone is unlocked.

15. glitch82 macrumors member

glitch82

Me neither. That's because Slide to Answer has been there since the original iPhone first launched. :)

----------

You do have that option. The answer and decline buttons show while the phone is unlocked. I guess I'm not sure I understand your issue.

16. Osullivan1 macrumors 6502

Nice, never knew this!

17. matt2053 macrumors 6502a

A locked iPhone ALWAYS requires a SWIPE to get past the lock screen. This is a core principle of the iPhone's design.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Exactly.

19. cleo1 thread starter macrumors regular

Declining a call doesn't get you past the lock screen, genius

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

And how does that relate to answering the call requiring a swipe on the lock screen? Seems like that's what at least a large part of your original post was about.

Namecalling is a sure sign of really having no argument to stand by. Thanks for making that point.

21. cleo1 thread starter macrumors regular

It's funny, if you look at the initial comments in a thread like this, it's users lambasting op for even opening his/her mouth, only to be followed by a stream of posters who benefit from the thread, invalidating the naysayers.

BTW, iOS 6 had a single, unified screen for all incoming call functions. Just because now there are two versions for aforementioned specific purposes doesn't mean it makes any sense. It doesn't

22. spacehog371 macrumors regular

No, it didn't.

Since launch day in 2007, the iPhone has worked the same way. Slide to answer when the phone is locked, tap to answer when it is unlocked.

That's the point.

23. cleo1 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes. IT DID. The "swipe up to decline, etc" feature was introduced in iOS 6 along with the lock screen camera. There was a slider AND a decline button. Do your research, buddy

----------

Doesn't relate one bit to my original post. It relates to yours—you're the one who digressed.

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

They were still two different screens in how they presented their options and how they could be used (even if they offered mostly the same options).

And of course it relates to the original post. It talks about the two screens being different and how that's strange when in reality it's how it's always been and how it is supposed to work (the only real difference is the lack of a decline button option on the lock screen, but the post didn't really focus on that at all).

25. cleo1 thread starter macrumors regular

OK so I have iPhones currently running both versions of iOS, so I can verify this:

In iOS 6 you were always presented with the slider screen. Pulling up would convert it to the button screen. In iOS 7 you are given either or.

The two screens were components of each other—a single format. I'm scratching my head because I thought this was one of the most elegant additions to iOS 6.