iOS 7 Bitch List: An apple ecosystem user's perspective

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by pulseTECHaddict, Nov 2, 2013.

1. pulseTECHaddict macrumors newbie

I'm in deep when it comes to apple product dedication (with the exception of my work computer for SolidWorks). For the most part, I love the new changes, but here's a list of my day-to-day gripes with iOS 7. Most of them I haven't seen anywhere else and I've included some bonus tips and tricks where I can.

In no particular order:

-Inability to Airplay from my iOS devices to multiple sources. I really have to use the (yet to be updated) remote app to control iTunes for this functionality? Streaming to multiple sources from your pocket should be a staple of the Airplay system. I know nothing about the technical challenge of this implementation, but if my co-workers android phone can accomplish this, it seems like a programming oversight.

-Inability to Airplay when streaming iTunes Match or Radio over LTE. The fact that you have to connect to a wifi network to Airplay negates the use of the LTE network for streaming. Sometimes the wifi network that connects iOS devices doesn't have an internet connection. In this case I want to stream over LTE but connect via wifi. Luckily for now, there is a work around. Settings-Wifi-[Your Wifi Network]. Under "DHCP" note the IP address. Switch to static and type the IP address under IP Address and Subnet Mask. Voila. Streaming over LTE but connected to a Wifi network.

-Inability to change IOS backup location. Since my Macbook Air doesn't have a copious hard drive, two iPhones and an iPad backup have taken up nearly all the free space. Why can't I choose in iTunes which folder, a la external drive, I would like to backup my files too? Better yet, why can't I backup my iDevices straight to time machine (my own personal iCloud). I'm not against paying monthly charges, but I'm not willing to dish out for hard drive space when it comes so cheap. iCloud, iTunes and Time Machine should be the options for backup.

-Poor power management. Apple is known for power management and it's no secret that many of its aesthetic choices and new features are battery hogs. I have parallax off and reduced motion on. Mostly because of the nausea [sarcasm]. Among the new features, and the one I was most excited for, is automatic updating of apps. I found this to be one of biggest drains on my battery. Why don't I have the ability to automatically update and download only when I'm plugged in? Additionally, I'm a big fan of closing apps. The problem I have found, is some really cool apps including "Moves" and "Automatic" don't work when you close them (duh). Something feels clunky about this system. Maybe things change when I have the M7 processor and I adjust my habits accordingly.

-Lack of list view as the default in Calendars. This one is just terrible. List view is the view I find most useful on my phone. The fact I have to hit the search icon to reveal the hidden view is silly. To make matters worse, I can't use list view in the notification center.

-Notification Center Sucks. Where do I begin? Sure, it's a nice first step, but I'll take Google Now, as creepy as it may be. I know I have no privacy, so at least do something useful with that infomation. Maybe I'm biased since I have Google Maps, Tasks, Now, Chrome, Drive and QuickOffice on my main app pages. I digress. I have some strange alarm notification bug, the calendar almost never displays anything (I have 3-5 events per day from work) and tomorrow is useless. It may be that I'm just not popular enough but what are the "All" and "Missed" pages for?

-Control Center access and app switcher. I'm a huge fan of control center since I was a bigger fan of the jailbreak that apple "borrowed" their implementation from. It can be better. Direct access to settings would be nice. Much like tapping the scrolling artist/song title opens the Music app. It would also be nice to directly access the app switcher. Who wants to double click?

-Icon Continuity. I know what your thinking, this has been beaten to death on numerous occasions. But there's a twist. I don't mind the app icons. But I cannot stand the status top row icons. Talk about design discontinuity. From the carrier, to wifi, to bluetooth and battery, couldn't you just choose a single line weight? I swear someone different designed each one.

-Bonus Tips
    -Swiping on the calculator display screen erases the last input (543 swipe 54).
    -Compass App has multiple pages

I'm sure I'm forgetting others but I've been meaning to get this off my chest. If one of my gripes is just plain wrong or you share in my agony, let me know. Better yet, let apple know!

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

The all and missed pages in notification center are actually for notifications--basically what the notification has been mainly used for since its introduction a few iOS versions ago.

3. gpsouza macrumors 6502

gpsouza

Well, you can do this. You just have to move your iTunes library folder to external drive and when opening the iTunes press option (alt) and a screen will appear asking you to choose where your library is located.

4. pulseTECHaddict thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip!