iOS 7 borderless button design

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by hollersoft, Jul 27, 2013.

1. hollersoft macrumors member

Has there been any guidance from Apple on how to make the "new and improved" borderless buttons look like they're something you should tap on instead of just a label? Are there certain fonts/colours we're supposed to use, positioning, ???

On Android there's that little triangle you can use to indicate there's some sort of drop down list available. But I can't recall anything from Apple other than the usual hand waving about how wonderful the new interface is.

From a user's perspective, I'm not so sure. I've had problems before with users missing things that are incredibly simple but not obvious visually.

I wish the developer site would come back up so I could review the WWDC videos. Unfortunately I didn't download them all before this hacking fiasco.

2. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I have attempted to tap many things assuming they were buttons in iOS 7 as well as missed things that were buttons in iOS 7.

Based on changes between the different betas, I don't think it's even worth it to look at the current HIG as it'll probably change more before they're done.

My rule of thumb so far has been to only use buttons in places where buttons normally are, IE, the tool and navigation bars. The iffy spots are placing buttons in table cells - I can rarely tell if certain items on the cell perform unique actions if they're tapped or not.

3. pmau macrumors 65816

When people really start developing apps for iOS7, we'll probably see that the "layered" approach works out fine.

Imagine that devs put layers in the background like on weather and than you'll note that the borderless approach (with a couple of dividers) works great.

Right now, with mostly white and uniform backgrounds, it is hard to notice.

My guess it that Apple is "theming" their own apps as minimalistic as possible.
    I think it's good that they don't "show off", because other Apps might try to mimic the design, which is bad in the long run.

I myself have played with dynamic background layers to change the "mood" of the App depending on state.

And if you think about it that way, the borderless approach is great.

4. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Interesting. I'm following Apple's style as perfectly as I can.

5. hollersoft thread starter macrumors member

Are you suggesting that buttons & other controls should be put in a different layer and then use the 3D effect to separate them from plain content?

6. pmau macrumors 65816

No I'm suggesting that they should appear to be layered ...
    not actually be in sub-layers from an API point of view)

Think of it as a general design or "mood" layer at the bottom.
    For example the dark clouds in weather, a dark or light background theme based in time of day, state etc.

In the middle there's a "data" layer. This data that can not be manipulated.

For example graphs (circles, lines), test labels, dividers, images.
    I tend to keep those a little bit desaturated to imply non-interactive characteristics.

The "interaction" happens on top of it all.
    Buttons, sliders, switches, touchable areas, etc.
    (Look at the appointments in the calendar app for example.

I'm not saying it should be like this, but I believe that this was the intention of the new iOS design and I try to design my apps this way.

Also, I do believe that Apple designs their apps to be a minimalistic guide for layout and functionality, not to "jump in your face".

Which I think is good, because third-party apps have a chance to make a difference and gain attention.

This is my general approach to the new design, leaving technical details aside.