iOS 7 Broke My Front Cam

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Appendices, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Appendices macrumors newbie

I downloaded iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 today, and my front camera doesn't work at all. If I try to switch between front and back in camera the app freezes. There isn't even an option to switch between the two in Snapchat, and my own camera doesn't even show up in Facetime.

I use Facetime a lot, I'm very annoyed that software companies can still release obviously broken software updates, after all the beta testing they supposedly do. (I'm talking to you, Bethesda Softworks)

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Try resetting the phone and if that doesn't work reset all settings. There is more but one of those usually does the trick.

3. Altis macrumors 68020

And post back so others may learn from your experience!

4. Appendices thread starter macrumors newbie

Didn't help. Switching cameras still crashes camera, etc. Plus I forgot to sync my calendar, so now I don't remember when my doctor's appointment is. Oh well... I guess I'll just use my MBP to facetime then.

5. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Funny you mention that. iOS 7 seemed to have broken my iPad's front cam, so I brought it to an apple store today and they replaced it for free. But you need to be under warranty.

6. akide macrumors newbie

same thing happened to me today, thankfully the apple store wasn't busy today and i was able to book a genius bar appointment and they swapped my iphone 5! this might be a widespread problem.

7. Appendices thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm still under warranty, but I'm at college and I don't actually know where the nearest Apple Store is or how to get there.

8. FelixDerKater macrumors 68020

FelixDerKater

http://www.apple.com/retail/

9. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

How about restore as new and don't do a restore just to see if it's related to iOS 7 or an app? You can then do a restore to get your goodies back.

10. Appendices thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried not having the backup first (as you might see from me losing my calendar data). There's an Apple Store 15 mi from campus. I'm getting my friend to drive me over this weekend for my appointment with the genius bar. I had the Apple Store back home replace my iPhone 5 before because my top button broke. Should be a cinch.

11. msteinruck macrumors newbie

Same problem

I'm having the same problem as everyone else, and the issue seems to be more widespread than indicated here. Check this thread on Apple Support. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5327076?start=120&tstart=0

Many people who are under warranty are getting their device replaced. My warranty expired 32 days before this happened, and the Genius Bar couldn't fix it. They claim that it's a hardware issue, so since it wasn't under warranty I replaced the camera myself. The replacement also didn't work, which further leaves me to believe that this is a product of the operating system.