iOS 7 Buttons & Pickers Do You Like Them?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Futhark, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

I have been messing around with a few of my own apps that have buttons and pickers in them and really hate the new minimalistic approach for these items, Buttons are no longer buttons they are just words, almost like hyperlinks in HTML and the picker i think looks terrible too, It doesn't have a picker feel to me anymore.

what does everyone else think?

2. springsup macrumors 6502a

springsup

The thing we're most annoyed about is the new status bar, which is now (bizarrely) part of the App itself.

Apple started doing this in iOS6 with colour blending (which most developers disabled), but it's been taken to a whole new level now.

See here for more information.

3. haydn! macrumors 6502a

Why though? Why is this such a big deal?

4. springsup macrumors 6502a

springsup

Well, it's the only part of the OS that's persistent across all Apps. As an App developer, you need to figure out how it's going to integrate in to your App. Take Facebook for instance - how is the status bar going to integrate with their sliding menu?

[​IMG]

That's one example of where it can get a bit awkward.

For users, it confuses meaning; the status bar is part of the device chrome, not the App chrome.

5. InTheMist macrumors member

InTheMist

Don't like it.

The whole iOS 7 look to me is poor.

6. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

That is a change:

[​IMG]

The status bar is not part of any app as the article states. I can see that Apple is making a design statement by having it not stand out. But is that the right thing to do? Most designers seem to think not.

7. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Obviously Apple designers disagree. :)

8. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Obviously ;) I think it has to do with iOS being around for six years. Maybe Apple feels users know that the status bar is part of the system and not a particular app. Thus there is no reason to have it stand out any more. It's like the slide to unlock no longer having to be so obvious.

9. springsup macrumors 6502a

springsup

I think it stands out more than it did before. The black status bar almost looked like part of the device.

10. batting1000 macrumors 604

You guys are too picky, I don't see why it's a big deal. I think it looks cleaner tbh

11. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I like that actually.

12. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

That's a good point too. It's all about who is in charge of design and that is Apple.

13. applemoon macrumors member

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Don't like the new picker at all, and I also prefer that buttons look like buttons. As for the status bar, I agree with:

I don't know about white iDevices, but on a black iDevice, the status bar does look like part of the device, which is nice. I showed my mom a screenshot of one of the new iOS 7 apps (notes or reminders or something, I forget which), and she thought that the app had gained a time display -- that is, she thought the status bar was part of the app.

15. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

If they manage to make the edge gesture to go "back" available everywhere I could care less if there was a button on top or not. I'm already so used to sliding to go back that I don't think I could use iOS 6 anymore without stumbling.

16. KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

IMO, it is simply a crude attempt to make the IP5's screen seem larger (or not as small) when compared to other platforms which have the black strip.